Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Conceiving triplets?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 2:24 pm
I'm considering IVF and I'm just curious about something with triplets... are they usually a set of identical twins and another? Or twins in general(fraternal or identical) and a singleton?

Are most a result of fertility treatments?

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 2:29 pm
identical triplets are very rare. there is anecdotal evidence that there is higher chance ("risk" ) of a fertilized egg spitting (once to make twins) using IVF then natural conception.

heidi

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 2:57 pm
I know two sets of naturally conceived triplets. One set is identical twins and a singleton. The other set is three singletons.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 3:00 pm
I know one set of naturally conceived identical triplets. Its extremely rare.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 3:15 pm
It's a really good idea to learn about conception and biology before considering IVF - always good to know! Usually with IVF triplets would be a result of putting three embryos inside the uterus - therefore three separate babies - there is no such thing as 'fraternal twins and a singleton' - that's three singletons. Sometimes an embryo spits and becomes identical twins, but it's very rare compared to having regular multiples.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 3:21 pm
I know of two sets of naturally conceived triplets. Additionally I know of several sets conceived through ivf with one of those sets comprised of two identical plus a singleton.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 3:36 pm
How do you all know those triplets were conceived naturally for a fact?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 3:50 pm
Naturally meaning with no drugs? Meaning if someone took clomid or the like, or some hormonal medincine that can up her chances even if no ivf...

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 4:12 pm
amother wrote:
How do you all know those triplets were conceived naturally for a fact?

I know triplets who were born in the 50s. There was no IVF then, ergo it was naturally.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 4:16 pm
My MIL A"H had triplet siblings - naturally conceived in the 40's. They are three singletons. And my best friend has triplets, also naturally conceived and three singletons. She told me that identical triplets are rare.

DD has a friend who has triplet siblings - two are identical, and one singleton.

agreer

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 4:46 pm
Also, nowadays there's a higher chance of triplets with IUI and just fertility drugs than with IVF. With IVF, they have much more control nowadays due to technology improvements, so they no longer put in so many embryos. Back in the 80s/90s, they would put in many more in hopes that ONE stuck.

pause

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 8:01 pm
I know someone who has naturally conceived triplets - two are identical and one is not.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 8:33 pm
I tried to talk them into putting in 3 embryos when I did IVF. Based on my age and the high hope that I would conceive with the help of IVF and ICSI, they agreed to put in 2. I've got twins. Smile My GUESS is that most triplets these days are from IVF with (at least) 3 embryos.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 9:42 am
It's really rare for triplets to come from IVF nowadays, because they only transfer one or two embryos unless the mother's medical history (age, many failures, etc.) indicates otherwise. It's much more likely to come from Clomid or injections.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 10:04 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
I know triplets who were born in the 50s. There was no IVF then, ergo it was naturally.

My friend's father, who if he would still be alive today would be around 100, was a triplet. He was one of a set of triplet boys and the mother never gave birth again, and these were her first babies. To me, the miracle was that even with no advanced technology, the babies all survived, grew up, got married, had kids, etc.

I remember growing up hearing about the Dionne quintuplets who were born in 1934 and were two months early but all survived:

Image result for dionne quintuplets
The Dionne quintuplets (French pronunciation: ​[d͡zjɔn]; born May 28, 1934) are the first quintuplets known to have survived their infancy. The identical sisters were born just outside Callander, Ontario, near the village of Corbeil. All five survived to adulthood. The Dionne girls were born two months premature.

smileyfaces

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 11:05 am
With IVF I was told that there’s a high chance of 2 embryos becoming triplets. One of the eggs would split. My RE told me this happens often and they usually recommend terminating one because it’s too risky.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more