Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to a "dumpy" neighborhood

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:03 pm
Right now we live in a beautiful neighborhood. However, it's a very expensive neighborhood so we can't afford a house here. We have a few friends who recently moved to a much cheaper neighborhood and bought homes. We are moving there at the end of the month. I feel really sad to leave my neighborhood. Yet it's an extremely transient community here so a lot of young families don't stay. The block we are buying a house on happens to be a very nice block, the community is extremely warm, the Rav of the community is one of the friendliest people I have ever met, yet the surrounding area is extremely dumpy looking. The surrounding area is definitely not asthetically pleasing at all. This makes me so sad but I agreed to move to this community because of the people and the affordable houses. Has anyone moved to a dumpy neighborhood but with an extremely warm community? I just feel like it's such a downer to be moving to a place that looks so dumpy. Please help me deal with this!!!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:56 pm
OP, once you are in the warm community I believe you won't see the dumpiness that much. I live in Bnei Berak which is a far cry from beauty but the people are totally amazing!

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 2:41 pm
I've done the opposite. Moved from the dumpy neighborhood with the nice neighbors to the nice neighborhood with the not so nice neighbors. Suffice it to say that I wish I had the ability to move back to the dumpy neighborhood.

Word of caution. If the dumpy neighborhood is in the process of deteriorating be careful before buying there. The reason I don't move back to my old neighborhood is because it no longer exists as a viable Jewish community. The few shuls still open are empty and struggling.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 2:45 pm
I've also moved to a nice neighborhood and don't really like the ppl. I wish I could move back to the dumpy area with the nice ppl! You can do a lot to make your own home and property look nice and hopefully that will make you feel proud and positive about it.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 2:51 pm
I have made such a move at the beginning of our marriage. We opted for a bigger house in a dumpy area. It has actuall been fine but I am starting to hate it.
I work a lot and don‘t reall have so much time to spend with friends. I feel like I want to arrive home and see a nice neighborhood. I feel like what we see is a part of what makes up our life, it impresses on us. I technically get no benifit from looking at beautiful buildings and have no harm from looking at old buildings, litter or beggars, but sometimes it is just all my life is made of.

madys

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 2:52 pm
I live in an amazing, warm neighborhood.

The main street is really run down, there aren't a lot of stores to window shop when walking to shul.

What is lacks in looks it more than makes up for in other aspects. I can't imagine living anywhere else. We have tons of friends and so do our kids. The shul is beautiful, and so are the people.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 3:09 pm
Some dumpy neighbourhoods end up becoming beautiful. Start by fixing up your own front lawn - paint your front door...plant flowers....teach your children not to litter and to care about the neighborhood. Be the change you want to see in the world! Cool
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating