Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Mending clothing while u wear it

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 9:40 pm
Chewing on thread while mending something you are wearing. Did anyone hear of it ?is it just a buba miesah or does it have a source. Hope I'm being clear

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 9:44 pm
My mother made us do this while she mended on us. I remember her saying that it has something to do with showing that you're not a meis because that's what they do to a niftar. You don't have to chew thread, you just have to keep chewing something to show that you're alive, or s/th like that...

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 10:18 pm
We do it too, we chew thread specifically, also something having to do with a meis, not sure exactly what.

soap suds

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
My mother made us do this while she mended on us. I remember her saying that it has something to do with showing that you're not a meis because that's what they do to a niftar. You don't have to chew thread, you just have to keep chewing something to show that you're alive, or s/th like that...

Same here. One of the things we don't do because it's done to a meis, like cutting fingernails and toenails on the same day. Doesn't have to be thread, but somehow that's always what mom made us chew. I guess it's just something that's handy and chewable (sort of) while sewing.

Why is everyone amother here?

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:04 am
I think you're not supposed to mend while on you, or am I confusing that with washing the clothing while it's on you because of Kasheh lishichicha?

soap suds

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:39 am
amother wrote:
I think you're not supposed to mend while on you, or am I confusing that with washing the clothing while it's on you because of Kasheh lishichicha?

How would one go about washing clothes while someone's wearing it? Dump kids in the bath with their clothes on and get kill two birds with one stone? That would be a great time saver!

ETA - on second thought, do you mean like spot cleaning?

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:51 am
From what I remember being told, sewing a garment while wearing it is “kasha l’shikcha”

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 1:29 am
soap suds wrote:
How would one go about washing clothes while someone's wearing it? Dump kids in the bath with their clothes on and get kill two birds with one stone? That would be a great time saver!

ETA - on second thought, do you mean like spot cleaning?

yes like spot cleaning.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:12 pm
mother made us hold something in my mouth also to show we are not dead.

octopus

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:20 pm
I thought it was because the chevra kadisha sew the shrouds on the dead the person. We can cut toe nails and finger nails in the same day, but in a special order. On dead ppl, the chevra kadisha just snip one right after the other.

zgp

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:22 pm
As far as I know, sewing when on you is not about kasha leshikcha but like others said it is because they sew the tachrichim onto the meis so you don't sew on a live person unless he is doing something as a sign he is alive ie chewing and it doesn't matter what you chew

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 3:28 pm
if one is repairing/sewing a clothing while one is wearing the clothing, yes, one should chew on a piece of thread. Thread b/c one is sewing with thread. take a longish piece of thread so that it hangs out of one's mouth and thus one doesn't c'v swallow it.

interesting, I never heard that one should not spot clean their clothes while wearing them. I
do it all the time - clean a stain with a baby wipes. I'm interested where the source iS from?

TIA Smile

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 3:35 pm
My grandmother used to do this. I never knew the reason. Interesting.

I wonder if there's a source?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 5:08 pm
I've been on the chevra kaddisha in multiple cities. I've never sown the tachrichim on a mais. Is this still done? If yes, what groups sew the tachrichim on?

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 5:21 pm
BTW, this is the same reason that two people don't "work" on a live person, dressing, feeding, washing, etc. at the same time. Because that's how the chevra kadisha ready a mais for burial.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 8:12 pm
amother wrote:
I've been on the chevra kaddisha in multiple cities. I've never sown the tachrichim on a mais. Is this still done? If yes, what groups sew the tachrichim on?

Same here. There are a bunch of things I was always told we don't do because that's how they prepare the meis. Like cutting the nails in order. Then when I became a member of the chevra (at least in our town), we don't cut the nails at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry