Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Selective mutism support group?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 2:16 pm
Hi,

I have a young child with selective mutism. I'd love to chat/email with other parents that are also dealing with the same situation and see what kind of help have you been giving your child. I'm in the NYC area. Thanks.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 2:22 pm
Hi, I don't live near but dealt with this issue bH successfully with one of my older kids if it is any help I don't mind exchanging ideas.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 11:23 pm
When my child was struggling with symptoms of selective mutism, what helped, with Hashem's help, was:

Speech therapy.
She was in preschool so the speech therapist recommended I pay one of the teachers to play with her twice a week for about an hour, so she feels more comfortable with the staff at school.
Inviting friends over.
Taking away source of stress which was a very big factor.

Lots and lots of Hatzlacha.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 10:14 am
Wow, that's amazing the teacher was cooperative.

My son also gets speech and counseling through the board of ed but I rarely hear anything from them, and they just play with him..he hasn't spoken to them the whole year. So I'm paying a therapist every week. But it's been months and there has been minimal improvement (he now whispers to me in the office while therapist is in the background, but he hasn't spoken to the therapist yet and it's been months). I do playdates as well, but he only speaks to his brother's friends.

I'm thinking of spending a huge amount of money this summer (around $4000) and I don't know how we'll manage, but I'm thinking my child needs more of a professional that has been dealing with SM children for years. I feel like right now I'm wasting money on the therapist and maybe this more expensive psychologist is worth it with better results. It's an intensive week of summer camp for kids with SM... if any of you heard of such a thing and did it, I'd love to hear more about it.

By the way, I'm not sure... but can I still PM amothers? We can discuss all of this also privately.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 10:21 am
The speech therapist I used lives in Brooklyn. If that's close by, you can ask her if she would work with your son privately.

I saw a real change within a few weeks. She is very warm and I really have had an amazing experience.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children