Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Bariatric Surgery Outcomes
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 3:07 pm
My brother has a pasta restriction. He vomits whenever he eats pasta.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 3:15 pm
With every single weight loss procedure, you will have a percentage of people with complications, a percentage of people who lost weight and kept it off, a percentage who had trouble losing, and a percentage who lost and gained back.
Sticking with your doctor's instructions and maintaining long-term lifestyle changes will keep the odds in your favor.
I'm scheduled soon to undergo a fairly new procedure called the Endoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy. It doesn't have as high a success rate as the other procedures, but it's less invasive and has the lowest rate of complications.
Wish me luck!

nicole81

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 3:40 pm
jjudithc wrote:
Okay, so I'm hearing a theme of certain types of food are not okay after the various surgeries. This is good to know! I don't know what my relatives specific preferences are or if there are trigger/comfort foods that she would have to give up forever lest it kill her. I'm all for moderation, but I have no idea how difficult it is to be morbidly obese! It just seems a little scary: it's one thing to say "don't cheat on a diet," another to add, "it could kill you."

Specific question for you all: DH had a co-worker years ago who had very bad digestive problems. I think it was something Crohn's-related? NOMB and didn't ask. She had to have a few surgeries and was told by docs, under no circumstances can you eat vegetables/fruits/anything fibrous. I remember her being so sad. Sad Do any of these surgeries put restrictions on veg/fruit intake?

I'm grateful for all these responses. The more details the better. I promised I wouldn't share my family member's situation, so I can't give you her specifics, but I appreciate everyone who's willing to IY''H help another frum lady with her struggles.

I can only speak for the sleeve, and for myself. Fruits and vegetables generally cause no issues. They are, however, harder for me to digest. Although I couldn't at first, I can now technically eat anything. Most people have the same experience. Some things sometimes make me nauseous, but nothing awful four years out. Usually most of what I eat is protein, though.

Regarding what you mentioned about your DHs coworker, I still experienced food-related sadness. It's very hard to give up the pleasure that's associated with food. Some morbidly obese people are food addicts. Kicking an addiction in brutal. For me, food was central to my life. I considered myself a bit of a foodie, always went to different top restaurants, looked for opportunities to try unique dishes, special tasting menus, etc. If I eat right, I get full very quickly and I can't savor the flavors and try different dishes. If I eat poorly, maybe I can eat more, but then I feel nauseous and sluggish afterward. Either way, I lose out. It really is hard for me to explain the feeling of loss associated with bariatric surgery, but I would guess that other people who've had it can understand. My now-husband used to love eating out with me. Not only do I no longer love it, but going to a restaurant became a sad and frustrating experience.

I'm past feeling sad, and now it's just more of a defeated acceptance. I shared this because I wanted you to know that even if you can technically eat everything, that doesn't eliminate the possibility of a negative emotional experience. There is definitely a huge emotional component with the surgery.

jjudithc

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 5:28 pm
amother wrote:
With every single weight loss procedure, you will have a percentage of people with complications, a percentage of people who lost weight and kept it off, a percentage who had trouble losing, and a percentage who lost and gained back.
Sticking with your doctor's instructions and maintaining long-term lifestyle changes will keep the odds in your favor.
I'm scheduled soon to undergo a fairly new procedure called the Endoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy. It doesn't have as high a success rate as the other procedures, but it's less invasive and has the lowest rate of complications.
Wish me luck!

Wow, good luck! I hope this discussion hasn't turned you off to it. Confused

jjudithc

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 5:32 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I can only speak for the sleeve, and for myself. Fruits and vegetables generally cause no issues. They are, however, harder for me to digest. Although I couldn't at first, I can now technically eat anything. Most people have the same experience. Some things sometimes make me nauseous, but nothing awful four years out. Usually most of what I eat is protein, though.

Regarding what you mentioned about your DHs coworker, I still experienced food-related sadness. It's very hard to give up the pleasure that's associated with food. Some morbidly obese people are food addicts. Kicking an addiction in brutal. For me, food was central to my life. I considered myself a bit of a foodie, always went to different top restaurants, looked for opportunities to try unique dishes, special tasting menus, etc. If I eat right, I get full very quickly and I can't savor the flavors and try different dishes. If I eat poorly, maybe I can eat more, but then I feel nauseous and sluggish afterward. Either way, I lose out. It really is hard for me to explain the feeling of loss associated with bariatric surgery, but I would guess that other people who've had it can understand. My now-husband used to love eating out with me. Not only do I no longer love it, but going to a restaurant became a sad and frustrating experience.

I'm past feeling sad, and now it's just more of a defeated acceptance. I shared this because I wanted you to know that even if you can technically eat everything, that doesn't eliminate the possibility of a negative emotional experience. There is definitely a huge emotional component with the surgery.

So poignant. Hug I had no idea how painful it is. I'm so glad you shared; I learned much and will have valuable insights to share w/ my relative. And with anyone else when the subject comes up!

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 5:42 pm
jjudithc wrote:
Wow, good luck! I hope this discussion hasn't turned you off to it. Confused

Not at all. Obesity comes with its own risks, along with the social stigma.

nicole81

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 7:44 am
jjudithc wrote:
So poignant. Hug I had no idea how painful it is. I'm so glad you shared; I learned much and will have valuable insights to share w/ my relative. And with anyone else when the subject comes up!

Thanks. I just want to add that I have absolutely no regrets when it comes to having the surgery. I only wanted to present a more balanced view and show how it's difficult, even for someone considered a "success story."

Teomima

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 9:39 am
I just want to say, for me, one vital component was getting a grip on my relationship with food before proceeding to bariatric surgery. I joined OA and learned a LOT about the role food played in my life. It was thanks to that understanding that I was able to appreciate the tools surgery offered me, rather than going into it with the mentality of it being a solution.

I lost a lot of weight, gained some back, but have never once regretted my sleeve. I can't even begin to properly describe the many ways it changed my life, thankfully almost all for the better.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise