Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Health Insurance for Yeshiva Boy

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 11:32 pm
My son went to learn in Israel for the year and had Child Health Plus and Harel. He just aged out of Child Health Plus and when he comes home for the summer he has no health insurance in the US. What do you recommend him to get? He is going back to Israel next year iy”h
What do people do when the child is not covered under your plan?

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 3:34 pm
Is there an option for him to be covered under your plan? If you have insurance through your employer, can you switch from a couple plan to a family plan?

Or, you can buy him an individual plan through your state marketplace.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 5:18 pm
Sorry I forgot to say I don’t want to add him to our plan and I don’t want to get him a plan from the Market Place.

Cookiegirl

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 5:22 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry I forgot to say I don’t want to add him to our plan and I don’t want to get him a plan from the Market Place.

Then...you pay out of pocket...(generally, if you buy into the concept of insurance, this is what people try to avoid. The least expensive option is typically adding to a family plan, but if that is off the table, and getting an individual plan is off the table, I am not sure what you are asking for...)

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 5:46 pm
amother wrote:

As far as I know, those are your only options for health insurance. Unless you want to consider having him join a healthshare instead of health insurance. Or, like cookiegirl said, you can pay out of pocket for every doctor's appointment.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 8:30 pm
I am buying my son health insurance in Israel. The issue is when he comes home if g-d forbit he needs it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 8:31 pm
medicaid if he's not working, he should be eligible

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 8:36 pm
He can’t only get Medicaid if we don’t count him as a dependent.

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 2:51 am
So, you don't want to buy him an individual plan, you don't want to add him to your plan, and he is ineligible for Medicaid.
But you want insurance and not to pay out of pocket. There are health share organizations but it is limited, they don't cover everything and limit for preexisting conditions. And may have a waiting period as well.
The only other option is him getting a decent job where he gets coverage on his own but: 1. That usually only kicks in after 90 days and 2. Will likely cause you problems if he is your dependent but working. I am not an accountant but from what I have heard you would need to report his income or stop claiming him as a dependent.

I can't see any other option...

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 7:58 am
I think maybe my post was not clear. He is learning in Yeshiva in Israel and is coming home in the summer for less then two months and then going back for another year iy”h. Am I supposed go pay a year of premiums while he is not living in the United States?
What do people do when their child comes home for a few weeks?
He is not getting a long term job because he is going back to learn.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 9:13 am
amother wrote:
He can’t only get Medicaid if we don’t count him as a dependent.

t will likely cost you less to lose his deduction and put him on Medicaid then getting him private insurance.

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 9:37 am
amother wrote:
I think maybe my post was not clear. He is learning in Yeshiva in Israel and is coming home in the summer for less then two months and then going back for another year iy”h. Am I supposed go pay a year of premiums while he is not living in the United States?
What do people do when their child comes home for a few weeks?
He is not getting a long term job because he is going back to learn.

We do one of the options you said no to. Or pay out of pocket for everything. There is no magical answer and you should talk to someone in insurance who can better help you by giving concrete numbers. Maybe it Will be cheaper to Stop counting him as a dependent (if he is above 18 for how long can you continue to do that anyways?). Why not add him to your plan?

But you either must buy insurance, add him to your plan, enable him to get on government Medicaid, or pay out of pocket for everything.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 9:39 am
Private insurance for someone in their 20's is relatively cheap and you don't have an obligation to pay for a whole year.

However, under the circumstances you could see availability of short term policies which I think still exist - those are not intended for long term health insurance and you can only get under certain circumstances. You should contact an informed broker in your state to find out availability.

In these circumstances, you would only need to insure against some kind of catastrophic accident which is prudent to have. For your regular check ups etc., you would probably have it done in Israel under his plan there.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 9:43 am
There are short term emergency insurance options. It's become a big market with so many Obamacare plans not covering out of state. Do some Google research for short term out of state plans

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 9:44 am
Short term health policies exist. They may or may not meet your son's needs. Try Google to find out what is available in your area.

lakewooder

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 12:07 pm
short term medical plans - you can purchase short term plans at 3 months at a time for much more inexpensive than regular plans.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 12:16 pm
mommyhood wrote:
t will likely cost you less to lose his deduction and put him on Medicaid then getting him private insurance.

This is the best option.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 12:49 pm
Any recommendations for a short term plan?
Alliantz and Travel Guard won’t cover you in the United States. Some travel plans are only secondary coverage.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 1:14 pm
It's not clear why you don't want to add him to your policy for those two months. Did you even price it out? Call your insurance company and ask for a quote. This is what I've done when my kids needed short term coverage and I wanted comprehensive coverage.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 2:23 pm
amother wrote:
Any recommendations for a short term plan?
Alliantz and Travel Guard won’t cover you in the United States. Some travel plans are only secondary coverage.

Short term policies and travel policies are two different things.

Sorry, no personal experience with specific companies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children