Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Is this avodah zarah?

strawberry cola

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 4:58 pm
Someone gave me a hostess gift. It's an earthenware/pottery bowl with pebbles inside plus three fake candles that when you press a switch the candles light up in a red color. The person thinks it's just an interesting candle decoration or centerpiece, but it reminds me of the religious objects in Oriental beauty salons. Does anyone know?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 5:08 pm
I don't know but if it were me and had any association to avodah zarah with it I would err on the side of caution and get rid of it. If someone asked I'd say it broke (and I don't want a replacement).

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 5:20 pm
Its Oriental or middle Eastern. I would not worry

strawberry cola

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 7:36 pm
But is it associated with an oriental religion, or just a meaningless decoration?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 7:41 pm
It's just decorative. There's nothing religious about it.

ChaniG1

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:12 pm
This is just decoration - if it would have writing, symbols or pictures / faces on it perhaps I would recommend a little further investigation.

I was once given a blanket that had some sanskrit writing and designs - turns out it was "harry kirshner (krishn...)" over and over ..!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:12 pm
If you have any question at all why not just get rid of it? Do you like it? Feel bad giving away a gift?

penguin

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:17 pm
I would take a picture of it and search google images (or just describe it in google) and see what comes up.

But if there's so much controversy about Indian hair....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics