Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What features could you not live without?
1  2  3  4  Next

gs675

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 6:27 am
So, we are finally redecorating our house. What features do you have that is really practical?
I know already, install a sink area in the hall for netilat yadayim... What else?
Did anyone make a wasing room?
Please share any tips and tricks.
Many thanks

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 7:09 am
I love your screename. Just do that!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 7:39 am
I wouldn't want a random sink but that's me, not used to that lol.

My real need is good sound insulation and no bedroom sharing with children.

After that, things I like: a loggia, a balcony, an "other" room (can be the loggia) for the mess...

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 7:41 am
No carpet- either stone or hard wood
Carpet just breeds germs

Also- extra freezer and fridge if you have the space.

One thing I regret not doing when renovating my apartment is a utility sink in the laundry room/closet. I could of stacked the machines and had room. Only thought of it afterwards.
Maybe I change it in the future.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 8:01 am
Sink in the dining room.

After that we need to know if you are doing a major renovation or just adding a few features. I did a gut job and added a wing. I had a pie in the sky thread and ended up incorporating most ideas. The ladies have great ideas. Tell us your parameters.

Are you thinking of a Pesach kitchen, a sukkah room, adding baths, a crafts station?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 8:04 am
A lot of it is individual. I find the netilyas yadayim sink pretentious - if I'm inviting you to my house, it's ok for you to walk into the kitchen.

For us, a ground floor bedroom and full bath were essential so we can host older guests.

A spacious coat closet and place for tablecloths were important, as were lots and lots of bookshelves.

Think about the little annoyances in your daily routine and then see how many of them can be resolved through arranging your living space.

bestme

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 8:04 am
Put a door between the bathroom and sink. I really want to do this. Someone could use the bathroom at the same time that someone uses the sink, and the kids could use that sink for washing their hands in the morning.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 8:08 am
Enough bathrooms that include bathtubs and showers to go around.

Lots of counter space in the kitchen

Practical flooring

Good lighting

Laundry Room/Laundry Closet

My biggest wish is to have a craft room for myself. If I would do construction on my house I definitely would make one. Just a place for me to veg out and relax and call it mine.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 8:14 am
amother wrote:
A lot of it is individual. I find the netilyas yadayim sink pretentious - if I'm inviting you to my house, it's ok for you to walk into the kitchen.

For us, a ground floor bedroom and full bath were essential so we can host older guests.

A spacious coat closet and place for tablecloths were important, as were lots and lots of bookshelves.

Think about the little annoyances in your daily routine and then see how many of them can be resolved through arranging your living space.

The sink in the dining room is because of Halacha. We were told you need to see the table while you are washing.

A place for challah covers is also important in the dining room. Insulation between the dining room and the rest of the house. A place to stage the food is very convenient. I can move the food into the dining room before the table is ready for it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 8:16 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Enough bathrooms that include bathtubs and showers to go around.

Lots of counter space in the kitchen

Practical flooring

Good lighting

Laundry Room/Laundry Closet

My biggest wish is to have a craft room for myself. If I would do construction on my house I definitely would make one. Just a place for me to veg out and relax and call it mine.

Two master baths

A jack and jill bathroom

3 sinks

Lots of cabinet space and pantries

naomi2

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 8:21 am
Lots of closets!
A mudroom if you have children so they can hang their coats, shoes, and bags.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 8:31 am
amother wrote:
The sink in the dining room is because of Halacha. We were told you need to see the table while you are washing.

Fascinating. I'd love to see a source. I have had the privilege of eating with many talmidei chachamim who walked into another room to wash.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 8:37 am
amother wrote:
Fascinating. I'd love to see a source. I have had the privilege of eating with many talmidei chachamim who walked into another room to wash.

The Halacha is that when you make the bracha Al netilas yadayim you need to see the table. So you wash in the kitchen and then make the bracha at the table!
It is bogus that the actual washing needs to be done in sight of the table.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 8:46 am
thunderstorm wrote:
The Halacha is that when you make the bracha Al netilas yadayim you need to see the table. So you wash in the kitchen and then make the bracha at the table!
It is bogus that the actual washing needs to be done in sight of the table.

I am not going to tell my rav his advice is bogus. This is what he said, and I follow him. I wouldn't tell you that you follow bogus advice. Seriously, ask a sheila if you are allowed to say what you just did.

wow

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 8:46 am
If you have place for a walk in pantry! If not, then at least a big closet to stock up on bulk items like tissues etc.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 9:32 am
mudroom!

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 9:38 am
amother wrote:
mudroom!

We put school style cubbies with hooks in ours. Each child had a place to hang a coat and knapsack. Underneath was a small square cubby that held boots and hats in the winter, and sunscreen and sunhats in summer.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 10:46 am
master bath
two dishwashers
playroom
laundry on main floor
space to eat in kitchen
either driveway or ample parking in front of house

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 11:38 am
Mudroom
Pesach closet near kitchen
Under cabinet lighting
Pull out drawers for pots
Laundry sink in laundry room
Playroom on main floor with closets
Pantry storage room with sections for tools, crafts, bulbs, batteries and all other items
Bedroom closets with built in drawers
Back outdoor water line for hose/kiddie pool (front as well if necessary for cleaning or gardening)
Heated sidewalks/driveway/stairs (for snow) if you're redoing any concrete it doesn't add much cost to the project (the concrete is what costs)
Storage room with built in shelving in basement
Lighting in bedroom closets for shabbos use
Timers on lighting

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 12:07 pm
A gym
A present wrapping station
A sewing station
His and hers master baths
A bathroom for the help
Radiant heat
A coffee station
Sun tunnels
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating