Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby prefers stomache!

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 11:34 am
My five week old baby only sleeps well on her stomache. When I put her to sleep on her back, she constantly moves and usually wakes up after a few minutes. The longest she has slept on her back is 1 - 2 hours.
When I put her on her stomache, she can sleep 4-5 hours straight! What should I do?

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 11:49 am
Most babies prefer their stomach. That's why back sleeping has a lower rate of sids- the babies aren't sleeping much if they are on their backs.

No doctor is likely to tell you to put the kid on his belly, but I always did. Sleep is important. And I just keep a close eye on them. My babies sleep in my room so I can be more aware of them.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 11:52 am
If you do put your baby on his stomach, make sure there are no soft blankets around, and NO BUMPERS. I had the same issue as OP - actually my babies slept 5 minutes on their backs at a time, the most. So I put them on their stomache just make sure there's nothing - and I mean nothing around. No stuffed toys, no loose blankets, nothing.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 11:55 am
We swaddled and nestled to keep baby snug. We rolled up a blanket on either side of the bassinet, and kept baby snug between the 2 on her side.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 11:56 am
There is also an option to have the baby sleep on its side . It needs support in the front and back. You can roll up a receiving blanket and place one in the front of the stomache and in the back. There is also an item they sell that has this type of structure so that the infant can sleep on its side.

bsy

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 12:02 pm
I had the same thing. I put her to sleep on her stomach after that. Usually babies who sleep on their stomach learn how to hold their heads up and turn over faster, so after a couple of months I wasn't so worried about her anymore.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:
Most babies prefer their stomach. That's why back sleeping has a lower rate of sids- the babies aren't sleeping much if they are on their backs.

Note to readers. Above noted is an opinion not fact.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 2:24 pm
I’m confused by this thread. The baby is five weeks old- not 5 months. Five week old babies don’t sleep very well, but over time with persistence you can get her to sleep on her back. Get her a pacifier, rock her, swaddle her, do something, but why would you put her on her stomach? Its proven to be less safe.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:
I’m confused by this thread. The baby is five weeks old- not 5 months. Five week old babies don’t sleep very well, but over time with persistence you can get her to sleep on her back. Get her a pacifier, rock her, swaddle her, do something, but why would you put her on her stomach? Its proven to be less safe.

Gotta love these kind of posts...
I can assure you that I haven't tried any of your suggestions....jk obviously.
Apparently they do sleep well at 5 weeks, on tummy, or at least mine does. Honestly, at this point I feel it's safer to put her on her stomach than to have a zombie of a mother wake up every 20 min- an hour and fall asleep while feeding/ burping the baby.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 2:43 pm
I had this with my first. Dh and I were going out of our minds. Baby wouldn’t sleep, wouldn’t settle, and we tried everything. Dr. Told us we can try putting her on her stomach- her “colick” and “gas” and so on were instantly solved. She slept so well and I haven’t looked back. But op, you really have to think for yourself about hishtadlus, and I don’t think it’s crazy to ask a rav. For some people following the cdc and American academy of pediatrics is basic hishtadlus and necessary to always follow. For other people, they use a different rubric for hishtadlus (for me personally it was following what my doctor said). If something were to ch”v happen to a child sleeping on their stomach, a parent needs to know that they will forgive themselves and have trust that they made the right decision and did the best they could.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 2:51 pm
My babies also would not sleep on their backs, swaddled or not. With each I would try to force it for a few weeks, but then I gave up. I was too tired to care for them properly and we were both miserable. However, I was feeling really guilty about it until my Dr., (who was still officially advising me to switch to back), told me that it reduces the risk, it does not cause it. Don't remember numbers but let's say with sleep on back, the odds were 1/2000 vs sleep on front which was 6 in 2,000. In other words, 99.9% of babies are fine wether they sleep on their stomaches or their backs. Also, we know that babies who use pacifiers also have a lower risk of SIDS, but we don't blame and shame mother's who are not successful with getting their babies to use a pacifier. thirdly, there are developmental benefits to sleeping on the front. I no longer feel guilty. (also, my babies use pacifiers)

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 3:07 pm
amother wrote:
Gotta love these kind of posts...
I can assure you that I haven't tried any of your suggestions....jk obviously.
Apparently they do sleep well at 5 weeks, on tummy, or at least mine does. Honestly, at this point I feel it's safer to put her on her stomach than to have a zombie of a mother wake up every 20 min- an hour and fall asleep while feeding/ burping the baby.

That’s the point. Avoiding deep deep sleep seems to reduce the risk.Have you read any of the studies?

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 3:23 pm
https://www1.nichd.nih.gov/sts......aspx

An excerpt: Compared with infants who sleep on their backs, infants who sleep on their stomachs:

Are less reactive to noise.
Experience sudden decreases in blood pressure and heart rate control.
Experience less movement, higher arousal thresholds, and longer periods of deep sleep.5,6
These characteristics might put an infant at higher risk of SIDS. The simple act of placing infants on their backs to sleep significantly lowers SIDS risk

So yea...black sleepers don’t sleep as deeply, but do your research before you decide to stop trying..

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 3:31 pm
amother wrote:
My babies also would not sleep on their backs, swaddled or not. With each I would try to force it for a few weeks, but then I gave up. I was too tired to care for them properly and we were both miserable. However, I was feeling really guilty about it until my Dr., (who was still officially advising me to switch to back), told me that it reduces the risk, it does not cause it. Don't remember numbers but let's say with sleep on back, the odds were 1/2000 vs sleep on front which was 6 in 2,000. In other words, 99.9% of babies are fine wether they sleep on their stomaches or their backs. Also, we know that babies who use pacifiers also have a lower risk of SIDS, but we don't blame and shame mother's who are not successful with getting their babies to use a pacifier. thirdly, there are developmental benefits to sleeping on the front. I no longer feel guilty. (also, my babies use pacifiers)

I put my first kids to sleep on their stomachs, because it was before the “Back to Sleep” campaign, and they were more comfortable, so they slept better that way. Once the “Back to Sleep” campaign alerted me to to the issue, I asked my pediatrician about keeping my then infant on his stomach, as he was also much more comfortable that way. Since he had no obvious risk factors, (yes he took a pacifier, although I never heard of this connection), she gave the green light. That child died of SIDS (although his elder siblings slept on their stomachs with no obvious ill effects).

Obviously most children who sleep on their stomachs do not die of SIDS, but there is no way to know if this child will be the one who does. Many risk factors in life are not controllable, but given the unpredictable possibility of ultimate tragedy, it is foolish to ignore the ones that are. . .

heidi

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 4:16 pm
Burlywood, that's a really sobering post and I'm so sorry for your unbearable loss.
But I've been there. With a baby who screamed from birth for 12 weeks straight. Until I tried putting him to sleep on his stomach. It was like a miracle. Monster baby became sweet, yummy smiley well rested darling baby. I could see straight again. My older one needed a normal mother. I honestly don't know what to tell you OP. It's a really hard decision. Just wanted to let you know that I see your point.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 4:41 pm
I also struggle with this issue a lot.

My mom and all my sisters are convinced that babies are made to sleep on their stomachs. I don't necessarily disagree!

However, one of my newborns turned blue without any logical explanation and thank G-d I was right there to notice and pick him up. I was so panicked after; had him tested for everything but there was nothing wrong.

We chalked it up to a fluke.

I actually was crazy enough to ask our Rav. He said that if leading medical experts today feel that there is any risk, I should not do it.

Then, almost 3 years ago, my close friend's baby died of SIDS on her stomach.

I don't think I would ever be able to forgive myself if something happens, so I do insist on back sleeping now, even at the babysitter. It does not make me a popular customer. Sad

My newborns can be very hard, but I try to get extra help and remind myself constantly why I am doing this. I cannot take risks with my child's health. They are helpless and relying on me.

Sometimes, I still feel ridiculous, especially since everyone around me thinks I'm nuts. Thankfully, my husband is on board, and we split the nights when necessary.

OP, I so relate.

And Burlywood amother, it could have been any of us, and it was definitely G-d's will.

I think we're all just struggling to do our best. I'm so sorry for your pain

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:06 pm
I also had babies who would not sleep on their backs. But I couldn't relax with them on their stomachs... I got a gadget that senses movement and will sound an alarm if no movement for however many seconds and then stomach slept...

Another whose baby died of SIDS... I am so sorry 😢

Zehava

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:15 pm
amother wrote:
I put my first kids to sleep on their stomachs, because it was before the “Back to Sleep” campaign, and they were more comfortable, so they slept better that way. Once the “Back to Sleep” campaign alerted me to to the issue, I asked my pediatrician about keeping my then infant on his stomach, as he was also much more comfortable that way. Since he had no obvious risk factors, (yes he took a pacifier, although I never heard of this connection), she gave the green light. That child died of SIDS (although his elder siblings slept on their stomachs with no obvious ill effects).

Obviously most children who sleep on their stomachs do not die of SIDS, but there is no way to know if this child will be the one who does. Many risk factors in life are not controllable, but given the unpredictable possibility of ultimate tragedy, it is foolish to ignore the ones that are. . .

So sorry for your loss
Please remember that the back to sleep campaign was never backed up by hard facts or studies. Correlation does not equals causation and there were many other factors involved in the decrease of the rate of sids. There was never an unbiased study done on this subject, and no one was ever able to give a proven reason as to why they think stomach sleeping causes sids.
It always breaks my heart when grieving mothers blame themselves

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 7:43 am
Zehava wrote:
So sorry for your loss
Please remember that the back to sleep campaign was never backed up by hard facts or studies. Correlation does not equals causation and there were many other factors involved in the decrease of the rate of sids. There was never an unbiased study done on this subject, and no one was ever able to give a proven reason as to why they think stomach sleeping causes sids.
It always breaks my heart when grieving mothers blame themselves

Thank you. I understand all this, and I don’t blame myself. We followed the medical advice that we were given at that time. As I said, we did it with my doctors go ahead (and I think she may actually blame herself.) It is undeniable, however, that in very large scale studies, the rate of SIDS drops significantly when babies are put to sleep on their backs. It’s true the risk is still small, when sleeping on the stomach, but again - given the possibility of irreversible consequence, is it a risk that you would want to take? As someone who’s been there, I wouldn’t.

gamanit

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 12:01 pm
I've heard of this but never tried it. https://smile.amazon.com/Owlet.....=srch
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics