Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Age appropriate ideas for 4 yr old activities

SesameSeeds

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 2:09 pm
I am thinking of keeping my daughter (4) home for the summer. I am looking for some activities / crafts / ideas of what we can do together and some ideas for stuff she can do on her own (while I cook). She hates working on her own so I know this will be a challenge for me.

I also have a 15 month old at home who will have to be entertained as well.

What would be a topic that I could use to teach her this summer? (last year they taught the colors and every week was a different color) She loves learning new things...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Any other mothers out there doing this that would like to share ideas?

naomi2

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 2:18 pm
Take them outside. If you live in NY there are many sprinkler parks, museums, library activities etc... To visit. If you don't live in NY set up a sprinkler or pool in the backyard.
Indoor activities can be crafts, baking, reading. It may be helpful to make a daily schedule to structure each day.

Teomima

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 2:38 pm
Get a few books of age appropriate science projects and craft activities. Also at those ages my kids LOVED the zoo (they still do). Perhaps consider getting a pass or membership to your local zoo and/or favorite museums. I find having a membership makes a huge difference since there's no pressure to do too much/see too much/get too worn out on each visit, making the whole experience easier and more enjoyable for everyone. You can go for just an hour or so (I've taken my kids to the zoo just to have a picnic, then left) and then it's easier and more interesting to go even two or three times a week.

SesameSeeds

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 2:40 pm
Teomima wrote:
Get a few books of age appropriate science projects and craft activities. Also at those ages my kids LOVED the zoo (they still do). Perhaps consider getting a pass or membership to your local zoo and/or favorite museums. I find having a membership makes a huge difference since there's no pressure to do too much/see too much/get too worn out on each visit, making the whole experience easier and more enjoyable for everyone. You can go for just an hour or so (I've taken my kids to the zoo just to have a picnic, then left) and then it's easier and more interesting to go even two or three times a week.

Any idea of book titles?
I don't drive which makes trips so much harder..

SesameSeeds

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 2:41 pm
naomi2 wrote:
Take them outside. If you live in NY there are many sprinkler parks, museums, library activities etc... To visit. If you don't live in NY set up a sprinkler or pool in the backyard.
Indoor activities can be crafts, baking, reading. It may be helpful to make a daily schedule to structure each day.

Thanks! I am thinking of a pool at least a few times a week.
My kids love the water.. and relaxing for me.

Teomima

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 2:46 pm
SesameSeeds wrote:
Any idea of book titles?
I don't drive which makes trips so much harder..

No specific book suggestions, sorry. I have a bunch of random books I've found in libraries over the years. But search on Amazon, I'm sure you can find plenty of ideas.

I don't drive, either. I've learned to make getting to a destination part of the fun. We walk as much as possible, with frequent snack/playground stops, or take public transportation. It can be intimidating at first if you're not used to it, but the mobility can be life saving.

amother
White

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 8:44 pm
My suggestion: Just for your guidance pick a theme each week. Like one week do animals, one week do pizza, one week do about the body. stuff like that.

then choose some crafts that tie in. There are so many variations on paper plate crafts that can be shaped into animal faces, pizza pies, face masks, etc.
then, you can add activities that will fit like walking on your hands (wheelbarrow type walking which is like an animal and is great strengthening..) or making pizza - learning about ingredients and mixing and kneading. you can add some silly songs also. things like head, shoulders knees and toes. or the animal cracker song.

its just a way to make it different and fun for you so you don't do the same things. Or at least they make gluing and coloring seem a little different!

Stars

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 8:54 pm
She can do the giant kind of perler beads or regular beads when the baby naps, ditto to play doh and paint. Will give you some downtime, obviously while keeping an eye on her but you can relax a little.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 9:10 pm
I kept my almost 4 year old home most of this year. She loves playing games- her new favorite is "sorry". She went through a stage when she loved monopoly deal, or memory. Any playgrounds you can walk to- those are very popular with that age.
baking- she loves making challah with me.
cutting with child safe scissors
painting with water color
Reading books either with me or by herself. She likes Nate the Great, curious george, caps for sale- there's 3 books in the series, various biographies written for kids...
puzzles
she can do the beginning levels of games like rush hour
she plays with her doll house
my older dd really liked clicks at that age, some kids like building toys
riding her bike with training wheels, riding her ride on toy...
personally I found it harder right after she stopped going to school because it was like she forgot how to play by herself and it took time for her to get used to it again.

SesameSeeds

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 9:24 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming!
I am creatively challenged Smile

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 9:49 pm
op you got tons of ideas. you will see that it takes time to do all of the stuff you were offered. just swimming can take up a lot of time. going out shopping for shabbos takes a lot of time. going to the zoo takes up a lot of time.

btdt. I had my 6 year old son home woth me 2 summers. we did some amazing stuff. I regret not making a scrapbook out of it. it would have been such a nice memory. I might still do that. maybe ill do it this summer. and try to get my ds to do some of it.

this thread is still open for ideas.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 9:52 pm
my almost 4 year old also likes scanning food at the self check out- makes going grocery shopping more exciting Wink

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 9:58 pm
is there a michael's near you? they often offer craft hour for kids.
local libraries also often offer things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling