Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you employ people who may not be in your country legally?
1  2  3  Next

Do you employ possible illegals?
Never ever.  
 13%  [ 20 ]
Once in a while (e.g. occasional gardener)  
 10%  [ 15 ]
Weekly domestic may or may not be.  
 55%  [ 83 ]
Daily domestic may or may not be.  
 8%  [ 12 ]
Live in may or may not be.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Knowingly employ  
 12%  [ 18 ]
I've used baby nurses/elder care once/a few times  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 149

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 10:09 am
I'm wondering how many of us ask a per diem gardener, or cleaning person, if they have a green card.

I know many people hire baby/elder care nurses who are here on a "temporary" basis. I was told by an agency that the ones who are smart enough to enter the US legally are highly suspect in terms or morals/honesty etc. ... and she can only find good caring nurses who are here on tourist visas.

Curious...

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 10:14 am
All of my excellent nannies have been here legally.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 10:19 am
Quote:
I am happy for you that you can find and afford excellent nannies.

I forgot to mention that I did look into agencies that have elder-care aides "on the books" and they're about twice the price and not even under consideration as my parents would then have help for a couple of years and then nothing!

wiki

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 10:20 am
Realize that there are people who don't employ any sort of help ever. They will show up on the poll as people who "never ever" employ illegals.

Sadie

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 10:21 am
I worked illegally in Israel after my tourist visa expired and before I applied for Aliyah. I did babysitting and cleaning.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 10:24 am
Wjatever you choose, bear in mind illegal who gets hurt = OY.
Illegal who gets angry and reports you (yes some are that reckless) = OY.
Illegal who quits is a smaller oy but still a oy, as you won't be sent a replacement.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 10:32 am
amother wrote:
Quote:

I forgot to mention that I did look into agencies that have elder-care aides "on the books" and they're about twice the price and not even under consideration as my parents would then have help for a couple of years and then nothing!

Why are you attacking this poster for answering your survey question honestly? How she deals with her domestic help needs, has nothing to do with how you deal with yours.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 10:35 am
The terms, employ and per diem are contradictory.

Fox

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 10:43 am
Our landscaping guy is a citizen -- and very proud of it. In fact, give him an opening, and he'll tell you all his opinions about illegal immigration and then some. He has a coterie of young guys helping him whom I understand are extended family members from Mexico here on tourist visas for the summer. I'm not entirely sure whether mowing my lawn is considered part of tourism, but apparently if they earn less than a certain amount, it's legal. Somehow, I suspect my landscaping guy probably uses this as an excuse not to pay them too much . . .

I used to feel uncomfortable asked potential cleaning ladies, but I ask openly now. I assure them that I'm not planning to turn them in or anything, but that I need to know. Interestingly, they're pretty honest. My last cleaning lady wasn't legal but wanted to be, so I asked around and found her an immigration lawyer who was able to help her.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 10:44 am
I’ve had both. It’s totally false that those who are legal are less trustworthy. I’ve found they are more organized and knowledgeable and worked hard to earn their green cards. However they generally charge much more and are rarer.

I would not trust the woman who told you this. She’s trying to make money.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 10:47 am
I have a cleaning 1 day a week. I honestly don’t know if she is a legal citizen. Even if she is I’m paying her cash so I guess that’s illegal...

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 10:53 am
Fox wrote:

I used to feel uncomfortable asked potential cleaning ladies, but I ask openly now. I assure them that I'm not planning to turn them in or anything, but that I need to know. Interestingly, they're pretty honest. My last cleaning lady wasn't legal but wanted to be, so I asked around and found her an immigration lawyer who was able to help her.

Just curious how an attorney was able to help.

If you are in the US illegally, you need to leave the country in order to obtain a green card. But because you were here illegally, that's a 10-year waiting period.

Now, if you ENTERED legally, but overstayed your legal welcome, and then married a US citizen, maybe. Otherwise, its pretty rare.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 11:12 am
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Why are you attacking this poster for answering your survey question honestly? How she deals with her domestic help needs, has nothing to do with how you deal with yours.

Oysh. Is there an emoticon for "I am NOT being sarcastic"? I mean it sincerely, I am very happy for people who can afford to pay legal people.

Fox, interesting about some amount being legal to pay a tourist. How do I find out what that is?

Also when she says the legal ones are crooks, I think she means the ones she has tried to deal with from a certain crime-ridden country, she doesn't know about other countries.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 11:18 am
Fox wrote:
Our landscaping guy is a citizen -- and very proud of it. In fact, give him an opening, and he'll tell you all his opinions about illegal immigration and then some. He has a coterie of young guys helping him whom I understand are extended family members from Mexico here on tourist visas for the summer. I'm not entirely sure whether mowing my lawn is considered part of tourism, but apparently if they earn less than a certain amount, it's legal.Somehow, I suspect my landscaping guy probably uses this as an excuse not to pay them too much . . .

I assume that he's the one who told you that and that's not your personal statement on the issue?

AIUI, with certain exceptions, tourists may not work on their tourist visas. (There are exceptions in certain professional fields for Canadians and Mexicans and other exceptions for domestic roles which would require minimum wage payments.) But if there is such an allowance, I'm curious to know where it is.

Seems to me that a policy that allows foreigners to work so long as they earn below minimum wage would undermine the US worker who wants to work in that job for minimum wage. (Not that Americans are running to mow ppls lawns, but DOL and DHS carefully regulate who may engage in employment in a way that protects the US workers who ostensibly would.)

In any case, I'm happy to learn otherwise but I'd be surprised if his assertion is backed up in 8 CFR 214.2(b) or 9 FAM 402.2 . As you say, he's probably using this as an excuse to pay his subcontractors below minimum wage.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 11:21 am
Fox wrote:
Our landscaping guy is a citizen -- and very proud of it. In fact, give him an opening, and he'll tell you all his opinions about illegal immigration and then some. He has a coterie of young guys helping him whom I understand are extended family members from Mexico here on tourist visas for the summer. I'm not entirely sure whether mowing my lawn is considered part of tourism, but apparently if they earn less than a certain amount, it's legal. Somehow, I suspect my landscaping guy probably uses this as an excuse not to pay them too much . . .

AFAIK, you cannot work under a tourist visa. Not even under a certain sum.

Quote:
Under the visitor visa to the U.S., you will not be permitted to work for any U.S. companies, and you must depart the U.S. before the date specified on your visa.... If you wish to apply for a temporary work permit within the U.S., your employer must file the application for you. You will then enter the U.S. on a Temporary Workers Visa.

https://legalbeagle.com/547492......html

http://www.visapro.com/visitor.....faq-6

Assuming that you actually care about the immigration status of your landscapers, the only thing your landscaper should be proud of is hoodwinking you.

(There are temporary work visas.)

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 11:28 am
amother wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Oysh. Is there an emoticon for "I am NOT being sarcastic"? I mean it sincerely, I am very happy for people who can afford to pay legal people.

Okay "That's great for you, but we can't afford do that" isn't a bash. Are you trying to illicit pity?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 1:56 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Fox, interesting about some amount being legal to pay a tourist. How do I find out what that is?

Also when she says the legal ones are crooks, I think she means the ones she has tried to deal with from a certain crime-ridden country, she doesn't know about other countries.

Don't worry, I didn't read your post as sarcastic.

I definitely think that certain cultures value traits similar to those that Americans value in workers, while other cultures have their own set of values. So I agree that I would be wary in general about hiring someone from x country vs y country. I don't know that legal status has an relevance.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 2:01 pm
Just as a by the way, it is illegal to ask potential employees if they're here legally. You may ask for ID & that's about it.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
Just as a by the way, it is illegal to ask potential employees if they're here legally. You may ask for ID & that's about it.

Further to that, employers may actually have I-9 obligations, to verify that their employee is legally permitted to work.

You can read about whether you're obligated and what you're obligated to do over here:
https://www.uscis.gov/I-9-cent.....m-274

I'd just like to clarify that I'm offering no personal opinion on anyone's decision to employ someone without work authorization. But if you do care about ensuring that you're in compliance with the law, there you go.

Last edited by WhatFor on Mon, Jun 11 2018, 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 2:21 pm
amother wrote:

Good thing you're anonymous, since that's not true.

You are entitled to ask potential employees if they are authorized to work in the US.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics