Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Empire State College vs Touro College
Previous  1  2

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 8:37 am
gribzoid wrote:
Empire State is a SUNY college - I can't think of any reason why ESC would not be accredited. You should contact them to be sure. I have taken a ton of classes at ESC and I enjoyed them all including an MA that I abandoned two courses short of completion (don't ask)

You’re right. Empire State College is SUNY, this accredited. I was replying to those who mentioned other programs that aren’t under SUNY.

Someone above wrote that you can’t graduate with and MA but need to transfer credits to do so. I knew I read differently on their website but then again I heard notnso great things from students who said they couldn’t obtain it. There’s so many conflicting information.
Two courses short of completing it?!?! How did that happen???

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
Didn't you say you didn't take online class? With all due respect, you can't have an opinion unless you've done it.

Op, yes empire state takes 4 years. If you clep and did sem, you can do 2ish years.

If you live in BP, Sara Schenirer has a one year program during evenings for a ba.

Again, what will you do with the ba? You can take it straight to a great grad school even if it comes from a place like TTI. Figure out what you want to do with degree and work backwards from there.

I’ve been working for a couple of years in the Health and Human Services field and without revealing too much detail, find myself filling the role as a social worker for many. Note- from my end, I do NOT in any way fill that role but always always refer them to a therapist. I never give advice I just listen and even after they start seeing a licensed professional, they still come back to confide in me. As part of my job I’m there to listen but it got me thinking that I might as well get my degree and officially go into that field.

It’s hard for me to decide right now what exactly I’ll do with my degree once I earn it. I’m thinking working as a social worker but if my learning experience will be a pleasant one, I might decide to to further my education.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 12:13 pm
I will be starting ESC SUNY soon probably. It is accredited. I'm transferring from another accredited online program through CUNY and onsite learning. The reason I'm transferring is because they seem to have more classes that interest me and they will give me credits for substantial learning I have in another field.

Anyhow, I choose ESC over Sara Shenirer etc. bc I think if I want to continue and get a Masters it will be much better accepted unless you plan on staying entirely in the frum world where it may not matter so much, idk

good luck

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
I will be starting ESC SUNY soon probably. It is accredited. I'm transferring from another accredited online program through CUNY and onsite learning. The reason I'm transferring is because they seem to have more classes that interest me and they will give me credits for substantial learning I have in another field.

Anyhow, I choose ESC over Sara Shenirer etc. bc I think if I want to continue and get a Masters it will be much better accepted unless you plan on staying entirely in the frum world where it may not matter so much, idk

good luck

Thanks for your input! I’m also leaning towards ESC. Will you be starting the fall semester?

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 1:20 pm
My goal was nursing but I needed a bachelor's first to get into the nursing program. It took me 2.5 years start to finish. I did CLEP a lot of credits for required courses like US History, world history etc. You cant transfer sem credits per se but I did credit by exam, where you talk to a professor and they decide if your accumulated life learning is equivalent to college credits. I got CBE for Jewish history, Jewish philosophy and Hebrew. I probably could have claimed more credits but I did a degree in psych so I had enough credits from the online classes.

I also needed to do science classes in person for the nursing program so I did those in a different school. that's one of the good things about ESC--they accept a wide variety of credits from different sources, as long as it adds up to 120.

I did the nursing program at Downstate and I had no trouble getting accepted with an ESC degree.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 2:37 pm
yes, I'm starting in the Fall

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 3:15 pm
For the last two posters, or anyone else who joined ESC, I’m sure you’ve done your research before signing up so my question is what made you decide to go with ESC over the other many online programs?

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 3:32 pm
amother wrote:
For the last two posters, or anyone else who joined ESC, I’m sure you’ve done your research before signing up so my question is what made you decide to go with ESC over the other many online programs?

I'm a teacher for the New York City Board of Education. I attended Empire State College when I was on sabbatical a few years ago (Teachers have to take a certain # of credits to qualify for a sabbatical). It appears that the NYCBOE, at that time anyway, was only awarding sabbaticals to teachers who applied to ESC. It's a good college to take online courses.
ETA: I did not attend ESC for my undergraduate and Masters degrees.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 4:02 pm
amother wrote:

I liked the fact that it was SUNY so it was more credible and qualified for instate tuition. I had a friend who did it and recommended it. I took one semester and liked it so I continued.

Basically I didn't have very high hasagos for the degree, I just wanted to get the credits I needed to apply for nursing school. Considering what my goals were it worked out well.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 10:55 am
I like that fact that it is a reputable school (SUNY). I was also looking for a program that would give me credits for prior learning and certifications I have. (not Jewish/seminary related bc I didn't do that) do all those frum programs out there that give X number of credits for seminary are not for me...........
I'm also instate so tuition is decent for me
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics