Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
YouTube Algorithms Feed Lewd Videos to Children

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 9:14 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/te.....truth

[It's recommended that you read the entire article. Here is a a clip:]

Quote:
There are 1.5 billion YouTube users in the world, which is more than the number of households that own televisions. What they watch is shaped by this algorithm, which skims and ranks billions of videos to identify 20 “up next” clips that are both relevant to a previous video and most likely, statistically speaking, to keep a person hooked on their screen.

Quote:
Lately, it has also become one of the most controversial. The algorithm has been found to be promoting conspiracy theories about the Las Vegas mass shooting and incentivising, through recommendations, a thriving subculture that targets children with disturbing content such as cartoons in which the British children’s character Peppa Pig eats her father or drinks bleach.

Lewd and violent videos have been algorithmically served up to toddlers watching YouTube Kids, a dedicated app for children. One YouTube creator who was banned from making advertising revenues from his strange videos – which featured his children receiving flu shots, removing earwax, and crying over dead pets – told a reporter he had only been responding to the demands of Google’s algorithm. “That’s what got us out there and popular,” he said. “We learned to fuel it and do whatever it took to please the algorithm.”

amother
Plum

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 11:19 pm
I've seen these videos. They're awful! They look like cartoons from the thumbnail but are horribly animated and there's blood, knives, and who knows what. It's downright terrifying.

There's also thousands of them under any cartoon.
Each with millions of views.
Do NOT let children watch cartoons on youtube without you. Do not let them just play the next video.

I tried to find some for example but I couldn't find any. But I've seen quite a few pop up before when my nieces watch things.

miami85

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 11:36 pm
I'm usually within earshot of my kids when they are watching on youtube and maybe b/c they aren't so into cartoons--they like lego and "toys" but I've never experienced this.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 11:44 pm
Absolutely agree - there are always these fake versions of original children's cartoons floating around, usually full of violence and disgusting stuff, zombie sharks, chain saw massacres etc. Problem is, children find them exciting, especially as they know that we don't want them to watch that. I tried to explain to them that there are good videos and silly videos and that we don't permit the silly ones and sometimes our oldest dc (almost 6 y) exerts some self control and skips these videos. At other times, they don't and watch it davka. Only way to stop this is hovering in the background and checking regularly what they're watching.
Though, I did succeed in training my children to switch off videos that contain a certain non-Jewish winter holiday - they do skip that kind of reliably.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 11:49 pm

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 12:09 am
^^ exactly, that kind of things.

Goldie613

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 8:10 am
Does putting youtube on the "restricted" setting (assuming that still exists) help? It used to be useful for blocking non-appropriate videos for kids, but I'm not sure if the filters are set up to catch these.

rgr

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 8:17 am
Thank you for bumping this up. I was looking for this thread a few days ago when someone posted that her kids have you tube access and she doesn't see anything wrong.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 9:02 am
Goldie613 wrote:
Does putting youtube on the "restricted" setting (assuming that still exists) help? It used to be useful for blocking non-appropriate videos for kids, but I'm not sure if the filters are set up to catch these.

Don't think so. The names and thumbnails are harmless. I think only monitoring your kids can work, or just don't let them use youtube at all!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 2:31 pm
I only let DD watch DVDs when she was little. When she got internet use, it was only when she was right by my side, and we talked about everything that came up.

IMO, learning about safe internet use is like learning about where babies come from. You have to keep things age appropriate, and don't assume that they can handle more info than they are really ready for.

At each stage of your child's development, you can teach more discretion. That way, if they're used to you teaching about the internet, they'll be ready to listen when you need to talk about trolls, cyberbullies, and creepy old men.

A toddler should never have unsupervised access to anything that can be one click away from nightmare fuel! shock The world is full of stuff that you can't unsee.

Sadie

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 2:42 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Don't think so. The names and thumbnails are harmless. I think only monitoring your kids can work, or just don't let them use youtube at all!

I think the youtube for kids app only has approved videos. You might need a tablet for it, I’m not sure, I’ve never used it. But that’s what I heard.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 2:49 pm
Sadie wrote:
I think the youtube for kids app only has approved videos. You might need a tablet for it, I’m not sure, I’ve never used it. But that’s what I heard.

In theory. And no, you can download it on your phone too. But there is some weird stuff that gets through, and parents wouldn't know unless they take the time to listen to what those silly voices are actually saying. There is some scary, violent content for sure that I've come across.

OutATowner

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 4:22 pm
I stopped letting my kids watch on youtube, even if I was nearby. Because if I really was 100% present with my kids I would be reading them books or doing something else with them. Like a previous poster said, it's very hard to hear exactly what those "cute" little voices are saying.
My kids don't watch often, but when they do it's either nickjr.com (only jr) or dvds from the library.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics