Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
OT in Lakewood who takes UHC for handwriting/fine motor

debsey

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 10:55 am
Any recommendations? Asking for a friend.

I'm kind of perturbed. Her kid's school has an OT there, who evaluated her kid with no consent from the parents. Now the school wants her to use that particular OT - on site -for 130.00 for a 30 minute session.

I practice a different area of health care compliance, but the whole story sounds hinky to me. That seems way overpriced for an OT, and that seems to be an eval that the parents should have been asked to consent to.

I can't imagine she can't find an OT for either a better price (130 for 30 minutes???? an OT has a master's level degree!) or someone who takes UHC. And it seems odd that the school is insisting on this one OT only, who has her equipment onsite, for something as standard to treat as poor fine motor skills.

Anyone with insight or recommendations?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 11:22 am
My daughter worked with Risha Portowicz, under Ruchie Cohen, for handwriting skills. She was definitely cheaper than that! I just checked and it was $65 for 1/2 hour session. This was a year ago, so could've gone up, but I doubt by that much....I have no idea if she takes UHC, but worth a shot. She was great!

mommyla

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 11:40 am
Chayalle wrote:
My daughter worked with Risha Portowicz, under Ruchie Cohen, for handwriting skills. She was definitely cheaper than that! I just checked and it was $65 for 1/2 hour session. This was a year ago, so could've gone up, but I doubt by that much....I have no idea if she takes UHC, but worth a shot. She was great!

And my son went to Shoshi Cohen, also under Ruchie Cohen, and I was thrilled. Same pricing. I don't know if she takes UHC (or any insurance for that matter), but $130/half hour is definitely outrageous!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 11:43 am
OK we have a consensus here: Your friend should call Ruchie. She has great therapists, and is fairly priced.

debsey

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 11:49 am
Chayalle wrote:
OK we have a consensus here: Your friend should call Ruchie. She has great therapists, and is fairly priced.

I will tell her. My friend is naiive to how the system works. She said "it's going to be so expensive, but if the school says this lady is the best, then of course I want to do what's right by my daughter......"

It's a little insane to spend that kind of money for simple fine motor therapy! I also sent my kids to OT at that age, and I don't remember shelling out that kind of money. This was like 7 years ago, but still.

debsey

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 12:22 pm
Any OTs on here that can weigh in? How could an OT evaluate a kid in the school without a parental consent?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics