Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
HUD I am sooo lost

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 12:10 am
Anyone here went through the HUD process in Lakewood?
We got called to a preacceptance meeting but I am so lost and so confused with the process and havent gotten any clear answers for my next step!
Something seems to be a first come first serve with vouchers... lots of pressure to get some type of voucher asap but need to find a house to move into tgat is approved before getting the voucher.
Am I missing something?
They said to have the rental owners fill out the forms they gave to approve and get a voucher but I have no idea what houses will work and have no way to force the owners to hold it for us while we try to get it approved for us and get the right type of voucher.

What exactly is the sensible step by step?
TIA

groisamomma

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 12:17 am
That's what LRRC is for.

Last edited by groisamomma on Mon, Apr 25 2016, 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 10:48 pm
LCSC?
Do you mean LRRC?
They guide with Hud? I thought just food stamps and township stuff.
Arr they closed all pesach?

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 11:27 pm
I have hud, the pre-approved voucher in Brooklyn were I live meant that you go down and you fill out the paper work and then you usually get the voucher right away and they give you 3 month to search for an appropriate apartment, we couldn't find 60 days after the voucher was issued we went down and asked for an extension ( found any excuse) and they gave us an additional 3 month. So I would tell you first go down and get your voucher cause that is a first come first serve kind of thing (except if they gave you a specific date)

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 12:20 am
on HUD in Lakewood,

you MUST call LRRC as soon as possible. 732-942-9292 The devil is in the details with HUD.

It is true. If you don't find an apartment quickly you will lose your voucher.

A piece of advice. It doesn't matter what you find, take it you can always move. HUD can be huge financially.

There are a ton of apartments for rent take one.

Basic idea is as follows, HUD chooses an amount they feel is fair market value for a home with that number of bedrooms. The number they show online is including utilities. You are allotted bedrooms by family size. You can take a bigger home provided the rent is in the same range as the smaller one.

The amount they allow is also based on your income. LTRAP's website explains it pretty well.

So husband and wife, 1 bedroom, every 2 kids another bedroom. So for a family of 4 they will not pay $1800 for a five bedroom townhouse, because you don't need the space and with utilities it will be too much.

Coventry is usually cheap enough. Westgate has requirements.

Remember many private landlords like HUD because they are assured their rent money every month. A HUD tenant must pay their portion no matter what or risk losing HUD.

Go

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 8:08 am
and some landlords hate HUD because of the yearly inspections and getting a list of minor things to fix every year that can get expensive.

LRRC is a great resource for this information.

Are they giving Vouchers now?

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 10:10 am
I'm bumping this up. I am in a very similar situation how much money does HUD give for a family of 6?

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 10:16 am
amother wrote:
I'm bumping this up. I am in a very similar situation how much money does HUD give for a family of 6?

email : melinda@ltrapnj.org

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 2:08 pm
on HUD and have a family of 6 in Lakewood

Something called the HUD payment standard. can try to google but it varies from area to area based on local rent prices reported so hard to figure out exactly. THe number HUD gives you includes utilities even if they aren't included in your rent.

Assuming you can get approved for 1800-1900, remember that this # includes utilities other than your phone, at predetermined rates that have nothing to do with your usage. You can go over the approved amount by about $100.

Our rent is $1635 of which we pay $455. We pay this much because HUD really only approves about 1500 and we have to pay everything over that.

If a landlord wants a HUD tenant he can usually work out the lease with you as in you rent the backyard in a separate agreement. Before the legal beavers out there object, as far as I know that is completely compliant with HUD rules however ridiculous that sounds. If someone can not find a HUD approved rental, they sometimes resort to this maneuver. Its not so easy to find something appropriate and a willing landlord for the prices HUD will pay.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 3:34 pm
amother wrote:
on HUD and have a family of 6 in Lakewood

Something called the HUD payment standard. can try to google but it varies from area to area based on local rent prices reported so hard to figure out exactly. THe number HUD gives you includes utilities even if they aren't included in your rent.

Assuming you can get approved for 1800-1900, remember that this # includes utilities other than your phone, at predetermined rates that have nothing to do with your usage. You can go over the approved amount by about $100.

Our rent is $1635 of which we pay $455. We pay this much because HUD really only approves about 1500 and we have to pay everything over that.

If a landlord wants a HUD tenant he can usually work out the lease with you as in you rent the backyard in a separate agreement. Before the legal beavers out there object, as far as I know that is completely compliant with HUD rules however ridiculous that sounds. If someone can not find a HUD approved rental, they sometimes resort to this maneuver. Its not so easy to find something appropriate and a willing landlord for the prices HUD will pay.

You realize you just admitted to committing a federal crime..
Considering that Lakewood is under the microscope now, I wouldn't do that..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics