Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is This Legal? OT eval in school no parental consent
Previous  1  2

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 3:46 pm
It's unfortunate that schools trample on parental choice. It's also unfortunate that the school is behaving as though they're the child's parents. That's a gross breach of parental rights. Child belongs to parents , not to school. But school says, "child belongs to us during school hours. We make parental decisions during school hours"
School mafia.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 3:55 pm
keym wrote:
Or 3. A therapist who takes the major insurances and jerseycare insurances (or whichever child health options are available in that state.)

Most major insurance plans require a copay each session. Often there's a deductible that must be met first, too. So parents are atill paying a chunk out of pocket, some more and some less.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 4:06 pm
Please don’t tell me this is Bais Faiga...

I’ll stop here until I know which school...

If this child needs OT she can get it for FREE from the board of Education!! They have an office in a corner house on Princeton avenue and they have Frum therapists. Please tell your friend to save her money. She can either get OT through her insurance or board of education!
Some lucky OT got in to this school.., she needs to make a living... who in the world would pay that??

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 4:52 pm
The price what she is charging is my main issue here. It is a lot of money!!!

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 4:59 pm
I picked up my dd from school 1x a week and brought her to the board of ed for OT

debsey

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 4:59 pm
amother wrote:
Please don’t tell me this is Bais Faiga...

I’ll stop here until I know which school...

If this child needs OT she can get it for FREE from the board of Education!! They have an office in a corner house on Princeton avenue and they have Frum therapists. Please tell your friend to save her money. She can either get OT through her insurance or board of education!
Some lucky OT got in to this school.., she needs to make a living... who in the world would pay that??

It's a small, newer school that I actually had never heard of. But they have been around a couple of years.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 5:10 pm
Being in an administrative position in a Lakewood school I’ll add on as well. Parental consent is always gotten before the evaluation is done! (I’m wondering if it was just a quick screening meaning the teacher was concerned so asked the OT to come peek to give her opinion before she presents it to the mother- not more than that should happen)
Also - it’s possible that the schools likes/trusts.... this OT- does not mean that she has to use her.

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 10:28 am
Bump

amother
Navyblue

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 10:30 am
amother Peru wrote:
Bump

What are you bumping for? Did this happen to you recently?

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 10:34 am
WHY ARE YOU BUMPING ALL OLD THREADS PERTAINING TO THIS TOPIC!!!

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 10:38 am
amother Diamond wrote:
WHY ARE YOU BUMPING ALL OLD THREADS PERTAINING TO THIS TOPIC!!!
I don't understand what all these threads even have in common. Of the two that I saw one was Brooklyn and one Lakewood. One about OT screening and one about SEIT screening.

If the question is whether a school can have every child in the class screened without parental consent, yes, they can. That's the only thing the threads have in common ...

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 10:55 am
What they have in common is trying to support the NYT article in showing that schools are pushing services because supposedly they are getting kickbacks for it

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 11:19 am
Actually, this thread has no relation to that article at all because apparently the parents were paying for the therapy, not the district.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics