Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Fringe of neighborhood and *near* bad neighborhood

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 2:53 pm
Seriously considering a house that we feel will work well for us in a small community that is on the "outercircle" of the neighborhood. Frum ppl within a 5 min walk. Across the street is considered to be part of the better neighborhood and two blocks over is considered a "sketchy" neighborhood--but I was told that there has been a crime wave in the "better neighborhood" recently, so how much to take this into account? There's really not much else to consider in this area. The only other house to consider we don't love the layout, and won't be ready when we need to move in.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 3:12 pm
I would not do it. I’d take a bad layout over a bad neighborhood ANY DAY!

“Safety first”

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 3:16 pm
amother wrote:
Seriously considering a house that we feel will work well for us in a small community that is on the "outercircle" of the neighborhood. Frum ppl within a 5 min walk. Across the street is considered to be part of the better neighborhood and two blocks over is considered a "sketchy" neighborhood--but I was told that there has been a crime wave in the "better neighborhood" recently, so how much to take this into account? There's really not much else to consider in this area. The only other house to consider we don't love the layout, and won't be ready when we need to move in.

Are you talking about Baltimore? If yes, I would do it. I just did similar in Baltimore.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 5:47 pm
I wouldn't do it. Our friends in a major metropolis on the West Coast did just this. Once walking home from shul the father suffered an attempted robbery. Baruch Hashem it was Shabbos evening so he obviously didn't have his wallet on him, but he got knocked out when the robber realized that... BH everything turned out ok, but that's enough to scare me from moving to sketchy street.

Think about what the influence will be on your childrrn too, and whether they will be able to play outside let alone walk around safely.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 6:06 pm
So its not a very "pedestrian" neighborhood, and its on a somewhat busy street (but we can fence in the yard). When I say a "bad layout" its also smaller and we feel more cramped. This other house is far superior in layout. Its not a big metropolitan city, its a smaller area.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating