Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Ever thought about
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 4:00 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Our first car had an 8 track deck.

I don't think those ever became popular, but yeah, our first record player had an eight track deck (and I'm just waiting to hear - what's a record player?)

But to be honest, I really can't imagine going back to the way things used to be.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 4:01 pm
Regarding the lack of refrigeration: This was truly a problem in previous centuries, and people died from eating spoiled food. Not only from garden-variety food poisoning, but also, more insidiously, from stomach cancer. The prevalence of stomach cancer in industrialized society has plummeted over the last century, and the two most likely causes are that refrigerators are available and access to antibiotics (which kill certain bacteria, such as h pylori, believed to be one of the causes of stomach cancer).

So yes, we all managed without email, though life is better with it. I can keep in touch with overseas friends and relatives. But in some cases, we owe longer life spans to technology, so I am grateful for it, and will not thumb my nose at it.

CatLady

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 4:12 pm
Back in the day, long distance calls were prohibitively expensive, so my mother used to speak to her sister in the US every week by appointment. They alternated initiating the call, because the cost was so high, and waited till the exact minute that the rates went down before phoning. Now, the cousins WhatsApp whenever we have anything to say, important or not!

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 4:54 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Regarding the lack of refrigeration: This was truly a problem in previous centuries, and people died from eating spoiled food. Not only from garden-variety food poisoning, but also, more insidiously, from stomach cancer. The prevalence of stomach cancer in industrialized society has plummeted over the last century, and the two most likely causes are that refrigerators are available and access to antibiotics (which kill certain bacteria, such as h pylori, believed to be one of the causes of stomach cancer).

So yes, we all managed without email, though life is better with it. I can keep in touch with overseas friends and relatives. But in some cases, we owe longer life spans to technology, so I am grateful for it, and will not thumb my nose at it.

a cookbook I have mentions that spices were often used to disguise the taste of meat going off. I guess that is why hot countries have more spicy cuisines.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 6:10 pm
Thank you everyone (this is op) you came up with some terrific examples. It's wonderful to be reminded of how lucky we are to be alive NOW.

What I find most most interesting about all of of this type of stuff is this:

Everything everything is created by Hashem through His words. But the hishtadlus needed by people has changed throughout history. So for example healing from certain diseases used to be by putting pigeons on your stomach, now we use antibiotics. But we also need more WORDS to get anything done. The antibiotics come with lots of written instructions, for example.

Better examples of this are building houses and raising children. Used to be that the you could build a building by drawing up plans and then building it. Now, unless you send literally thousands of emails and text messages-,booking things arranging things cancelling things changing things and etc- then the building simply will not get built. The hishtadlus has changed to require more WORDS.

Same with raising children. It requires so much more words now. Firstly we talk to the actual children more. But also we must do things that were never required in the past. Tubes like talking to teachers and therapists. A lot. And so many many emails to discuss so many many issues.

I find it fascinating because of the fact that Hashem created, and continues to create, the whole world through WORDS. And as I see it, the closer we get to the ultimate redemption, the more we as humans are acting Betzelem Elokim in that we are building the world through WORDS. More abs more words.

(as I write this I have a vague feeling the I wrote this idea out aa a thread before, but as it was probably also anonymous, I guess I'll never find it again).

But anyway I do find it representative of a very deep truth about the world.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 8:09 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I remember my grandmother's first car. It had two doors, and you had to push it forward to get into the back. The back windows did not open, and there was no a/c. Guess what happened when yours truly was taken on trips in it during the summertime (hint: it was rather unpleasant on the olfactory senses.....).

We had a 2 door car at some point.

Laiya

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 8:53 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:

Speaking of antibiotics, amoxicillin only came to market in the early 1970's.

I'm also grateful for ibuprofin, which also only came to market in the US in 1974; and acetaminophen, which came to market in the early 1950's.

Laiya

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 9:12 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I remember my grandmother's first car. It had two doors, and you had to push it forward to get into the back. The back windows did not open, and there was no a/c. Guess what happened when yours truly was taken on trips in it during the summertime (hint: it was rather unpleasant on the olfactory senses.....).

Oysh.

And speaking of cars, who remembers piling in 2 dozen kids, sitting on laps, or better yet, the floor in the back of those old station wagons? shock

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 9:29 pm
Three day yuntif, no fridge. Lesser thought about details like that are the ones that make an impression. Serious kudos to all those amothers of the past.

Shani88

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 9:54 pm
simba wrote:
There was a rich girl in my class whose mother had a car phone!

Me too!! I wonder if we were in the same class lol

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 2:12 am
I had to explain to my kids what an 'asimon' was - those little coins with a hole in the middle, that you used to use for making a call from public pay-phones in Israel.
And my younger kids don't even know what a phone-card is - those are what Israel moved on to after they got rid of asimonim.

And hey, we used to look up words in a dictionary. Go to the library and take out books when we did school projects. Write up our projects by hand.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 9:06 am
Hey, you! Get off my lawn!

I'm sorry, where was I?

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 9:41 am
amother wrote:
... But the hishtadlus needed by people has changed throughout history. So for example healing from certain diseases used to be by putting pigeons on your stomach, now we use ...

The above is false.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 9:46 am
imasoftov wrote:
The above is false.

Well, people used to DO this, but it’s not something proven to have ever WORKED...
It’s in Samuel Pepys’s famous diary.

https://dralun.wordpress.com/2.....cure/

Cookie Monster

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 9:59 am
Laiya wrote:
Oysh.

And speaking of cars, who remembers piling in 2 dozen kids, sitting on laps, or better yet, the floor in the back of those old station wagons? shock

And one kid sitting up front between the driver and the passenger seats.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 10:00 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Our first car had an 8 track deck.

My first car had only A/M radio and vinyl seats, no A/C, no power steering. A '66 Dodge Dart

My son said, "some old dude told me there used to be phones on the street you put coins in, thats so funny"

mommyla

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 10:11 am
My son came home from a friend's house and told me that the family had an "old-fashioned phone." As I'm wondering who on earth has a rotary phone these days, he continues saying that "it had a twisty wire that connects the phone to the base."

He also can't wrap his head around the whole process of waiting for your film to be developed after you finished the roll.

I remember getting our first family computer and my parents getting their first cell phones. We also had a record player but we also had a tape deck at that point. And payphones! Fax paper on rolls! Copy shops! Dial-up internet ("get off the internet, I need to call someone!")! Hours of research at the library for a project that would take 10 minutes with Google!

You've gotta wonder what else our kids won't be able to imagine we lived without!

ETA: ooh, and when I was in college, Amazon was just for books... and it took weeks until those textbooks arrived!

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 11:17 am
bigsis144 wrote:
Well, people used to DO this, but it’s not something proven to have ever WORKED...
It’s in Samuel Pepys’s famous diary.

https://dralun.wordpress.com/2.....cure/

I remember people doing this for jaundice when I was a kid, and I wasn't born in the 16th century.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 11:28 am
It surprised me that last week one of my teenage children said that he wishes he could have grown up in a time when there was no internet.

If I had the ability to turn back the clock to the 70s and 80s I would do so on the spot.

Although what I miss about those days the most is that then the winds were blowing towards acting better and being frummer than the previous generation. Today the wind seems to be blowing in the opposite direction.

Thirty years ago parents would say the following joke:

A father and son are walking together. The father is wearing tan pants and a suede yarmulka, is holding an attaché case and The New York Time while he heads to work. The son is wearing a hat and jacket has big peyos and is holding a sefer while he heads to a Bein H'Zmanim learning program. Someone meets them and asks the father "how did your son become this way?"

"What can I do?" sighs the father "My son is so much more modern than me"

Thirty years ago the joke was funny, today I don't think it makes sense.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 12:06 pm
Laiya wrote:
Oysh.

Yup.

Or when my brother and I were fighting in the back seat, she would tell one of us to climb over the seat to sit next to her. While we were driving.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics