Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would you work as a cashier in a frum grocery store?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 10:49 pm
My husband is currently looking for a job (in Chinuch or Klei Kodesh though willing to branch out if can't find anything) and so far hasn't found anything. He's had a few interviews, a few which seem promising so we're still davening and hoping something will come our way.
However, my backup plan is to offer to work a little more (I work part time) so that we can make ends meet. I may possibly be able to ask for more hours at my current job, but otherwise, I'd be looking for something relatively easy (I'm willing to work but have little kids at home and already feel like my plate is full with a part time job). I just saw an ad for cashiers at a local Jewish grocery store and I'm wondering:
Would you work as a cashier in a Jewish grocery store? I think the environment/atmosphere is nice, I'm wondering more from the 'seeing everyone' 'what it would look like' etc even though I know I shouldn't really care.
Also, what would you think about a man working such a position - and seeing everyone/being seen by everyone (specifically women) who comes through the store?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 10:55 pm
We have frum women working as cashiers. I always wonder though if they are getting paid decently enough. There are frum women who put together people's grocery orders too. There is nothing wrong with that.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 10:56 pm
If Rov Mordechai Schwab tzk"l's daughter could work in NPGS for many many years , you can too...

Boca00

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 10:57 pm
It's exhausting work. Most grocery stores don't allow the cashiers to sit, and it's not easy to stay on your feet for so long.

Just keep that in mind if you are looking for something easy, this might not be it.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 11:03 pm
I did it. In BP. Came hone drained, but maybe because I did it for too many hours.
You can do a trial, it might work for you.

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 11:07 pm
I would but only short term because I think I would go crazy from that kind of work. My brain would just fry having to stand (or sit, I've seen stores with stools) at a counter and process purchases all day while people come and go all over the place. Sounds like a sensory nightmare. But if you can handle it and it's available when you need it, why not?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 11:09 pm
Thank you all! I meant easy from the stress/mental energy side of it (my current job can be high stress very busy etc), though I do know there's a definite physical and social side to it. I will find out pay and hours (wouldn't want to do it for too many hours)

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 11:14 pm
You have to make certain guidelines before doing anything to make sure
You have to make sure that the person has a chair to sit on .
Also that the lunch break is very clearly between a half hour and an hour and it has to be given religiously on a daily basis. I go to a nutritionist and the nutritionist told me that one of her clients became borderline diabetic because the owner of the grocery would not allow him to take a normal break and if he God forbid was eating his Silly Sandwich all of a sudden the manager started yelling at him.
Also make it very clear about the payment you have to get paid on time and the amount has to be a decent amount
I I rather a Jewish person handle my food and pack my bags and I trust Jewish people with my money a lot faster because they are my blood.
Good luck

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 11:20 pm
Thank you.
I happen to know the owners personally (though obviously I wouldn't go into it without clarity on both ends - though we're looking at afternoon/evening or weekends not lunch time) and I've shopped there before and see that the cashiers have stools/chairs they can sit on

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 11:32 pm
I have been to a few groceries where the cashiers were frum. Nothing strange at all. Good luck!

crust

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 11:44 pm
Wow, You are so energetic! I like your attitude and your flexibility. You also seem like a very devoted person.

Grocery stores are full of frum cashiers. I sometimes see how well-liked they are by the customers. Sounds like a very social job.
Enjoy it!

Teomima

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 2:19 am
In my single days I once worked as a cashier. Frankly, I loved it. I had to stand, which was exhausting, and in the beginning there's a lot to memorize (especially produce codes), plus the pressure to not make any mathematical errors, but once you get used to all that, it's pretty easy and can be a fun way to socialize. I've often thought about doing it again, the notion is very appealing after having spent many years working in an intense environment (in a totally different field).

When out shopping myself, I hardly pay attention to the gender of the cashier, so that wouldn't bother me/even occur to me to notice. Obviously if you know each other it's different, but the very nature of the position is so fast paced that you wouldn't be interacting very long, anyways.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics