Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Help with Girl Name
1  2  Next

dropeverything13

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 2:59 pm
Having our third girl and struggling to come up with a name. No family names to use (all have been given at least once already) and come from a large family so trying for something original but not too out there (want to avoid duplicates)

Really want a name that connects with either time of conception or time of birth. Due right around the three weeks/tish b'av and conceived right around simchas torah.
Names in contention right now are:
yael, michal, ella, ilana, tsofiya, tamar, hadas, reina, aderet

Would love opinions on the above names or any other ideas.

Prefer no 'ch' names, and don't want to give a name simply to use a nickname of it.

cheeseblintz

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 3:06 pm
Really like Reina Aderet as a name. Also really like Ateret and that has a simchas torah vibe.

observer

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 3:07 pm
Nechama would be good for due date time, but has the ch.

Temima for Simchas torah "Toras Hashem Temima".

Woman of Valor

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 4:10 pm
I never heard of naming for conception. Would you keep the reason for the name private if you go that route?

agreer

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 4:47 pm
WindowMagic wrote:
I never heard of naming for conception. Would you keep the reason for the name private if you go that route?

Oh, please, please do keep it private!!!

Back to names...

I love Michal, which is on your list despite the CH sound.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 4:50 pm
dropeverything13 wrote:
Having our third girl and struggling to come up with a name. No family names to use (all have been given at least once already) and come from a large family so trying for something original but not too out there (want to avoid duplicates)

Really want a name that connects with either time of conception or time of birth. Due right around the three weeks/tish b'av and conceived right around simchas torah.
Names in contention right now are:
yael, michal, ella, ilana, tsofiya, tamar, hadas, reina, aderet

Would love opinions on the above names or any other ideas.

Prefer no 'ch' names, and don't want to give a name simply to use a nickname of it.

Michal is the prettiest name on your list imho

Ravenclaw

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 7:00 pm
I love Yael and Michal. Strong beautiful women in the Torah.

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 4:10 pm
For due around tisha b'av, in addition to Nechama, there's Batsheva or Elisheva (shiva d'nechemta after tisha b'av).

Emuna seems like it could go with either Simchas Torah or Tisha b'Av.

Edit, although I didn't go look back at the other posts again so sorry if I'm repeating: also Ariella for the beis hamikdash. Simcha, Gila, Rina, Aliza for Simchas Torah.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 5:15 am
REINA!

dropeverything13

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 11:06 am
OP here. Thanks all for your input. After all that, DH really likes Ella. I am on the fence. Can't find good sources for what exactly it means or signifies. It's not a family name for us - just one he picked and decided he likes. Anyone know any info on it?

Goldie613

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 11:34 am
dropeverything13 wrote:
OP here. Thanks all for your input. After all that, DH really likes Ella. I am on the fence. Can't find good sources for what exactly it means or signifies. It's not a family name for us - just one he picked and decided he likes. Anyone know any info on it?

Try these two sites for some info on that name =

https://www.babycenter.com/bab.....3.htm

https://www.verywellfamily.com.....84002

Other than that, if you're going with the spelling alef-lamed-alef, it apparently translates as "but rather" , at least according to my good friend google ;-)

And - most importantly - mazel tov!!!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 1:22 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
Try these two sites for some info on that name =

https://www.babycenter.com/bab.....3.htm

https://www.verywellfamily.com.....84002

Other than that, if you're going with the spelling alef-lamed-alef, it apparently translates as "but rather" , at least according to my good friend google ;-)

And - most importantly - mazel tov!!!

Ella is a nice name but it's a Yiddish name it's not Hebrew . Some people don't like to give yiddish names so I thought you might want to know. I don't know what the meaning is or even if it has a meaning. In Yiddish the short e sound like the e in bed or red or yellow is spelled with an ayin, not an aleph. Of course you could think of it as an English name like naming your baby Charlotte or Olivia if the yiddish part bothers you. In that case I don't know how you'll spell it with aleph bet.

MyUsername

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 4:35 pm
In Israel, Ella is a common girls name, I have at least 2 friends with daughters named Ella. It is a kind of tree - אלה.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 4:45 am
Don't truste any site. A reliable one is behind thename

naomi2

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 8:23 am
You can always name ariella, gavriella, Baila, etc and use the nickname Ella

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 8:50 am
I love Ella, it's my daughter's name (who was named after an aunt who died al kidush Hashem). When we wanted to give the name, we asked our rov how to write it: alef-lamed-heh (hebrew) or ales-lamed-ayin (yiddish). He advised us (even though he is chassidic so yiddish speaking) to go for the Hebrew spelling because Elah in tenach is a strong oak tree. He said it will be a zchus that the child will be just as strong and enduring as that tree.

Ahuva's Mommy

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 10:05 am
Geula , Tziona, or Bat Tzion would work for the three weeks.

dropeverything13

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 10:48 am
OP here. I saw on a different forum that Ella - as the tree - is from a pasuk in yeshaya. There it says "Eilah" (more pronounced like Ayla). Anyone ever hear of that or is there like poetic license with changing nekudos but it still refers to the same word?

etky

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 11:41 am
dropeverything13 wrote:
OP here. I saw on a different forum that Ella - as the tree - is from a pasuk in yeshaya. There it says "Eilah" (more pronounced like Ayla). Anyone ever hear of that or is there like poetic license with changing nekudos but it still refers to the same word?

אלה with a צרה under the aleph is how the name (relating to the tree) appears in Tanach.
In Tanach, אלה was also the name of a (bad) king of the northern kingdom of Israel.
In modern Hebrew the female name Ella is either pronounced Eilah - the tanachic way - pertaining to the tree - with the accent on the last syllable, or Ella, as in English. The last pronunciation is not the Hebrew version of the name and has no meaning in Hebrew.
Bear in mind that in Tanach the Eilah tree is mentioned several times in conjunction with avoda zara.

jerusalem90

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 10:41 am
Ahuva's Mommy wrote:
Geula , Tziona, or Bat Tzion would work for the three weeks.

I totally second Bat Tzion as a perfect 9 beAv/ three weeks name for a girl.

A less known verse of HaTikvah is:
כל-עוד שם עלי דרכים
שער יכת שאיה,
ובין חרבות ירושלים
עוד בת ציון בוכיה.

As long as on the barren highways
The humbled city gates mark
And among the ruins of Jerusalem
A daughter of Zion still cries

Beautiful!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names