Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How would u convert this house

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 7:46 pm
I just saw a two family house in excellent condition but I am not sure which floor I’d want to live on and which floor to make the bedroom floor.

There are two floors and no basement. The ground floor is smaller because it has the garage so it might make sense to make that the bedroom floor. Also the windows are a little smaller on the ground. However the ground floor has a better kitchen and the ground floor also has the door to a very nice yard. One bedroom on the top floor has it’s own private bathroom which I could use as a master bedroom and bath.

It is very simple to convert the entranceway to a one family and the house is in beautiful condition and we don’t have a spare 100k so it’s going to be a very slow process until it’s completely a regular one family house.

Which floor should I live on and which floor for the bedrooms?

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 11:15 pm
Mazal tov on your purchase! The logical answer is living space on 1st floor and bedrooms on 2nd. floor. Both from an economic and design angle. You already have a good kitchen on the first floor and a master bedroom and bathroom on the second floor. It's also more typical and practical to have your living areas on the first floor. You want to sleeping area to be more private and do your want to shlep all your groceries upstairs? Also, it sounds like the windows on the first floor may not be egress windows and you may need to replace them if you want bedrooms there. Would you be willing to convert your garage door additional living space? Or you might want to consider having your study out play room/family room in your second floor.
(BTW, I have over a decade of experience in designing houses and renos at an architectural firm, if that matters to you).

Hatzlocha!

familyfirst

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 12:48 am
Living space above bedrooms means noise on top of bedrooms. Harder to put kids to sleep

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 3:06 am
Is it possible to take some of the garage space and convert it into living space?

tryinghard

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
Mazal tov on your purchase! The logical answer is living space on 1st floor and bedrooms on 2nd. floor. Both from an economic and design angle. You already have a good kitchen on the first floor and a master bedroom and bathroom on the second floor. It's also more typical and practical to have your living areas on the first floor. You want to sleeping area to be more private and do your want to shlep all your groceries upstairs? Also, it sounds like the windows on the first floor may not be egress windows and you may need to replace them if you want bedrooms there. Would you be willing to convert your garage door additional living space? Or you might want to consider having your study out play room/family room in your second floor.
(BTW, I have over a decade of experience in designing houses and renos at an architectural firm, if that matters to you).

Hatzlocha!

Commenting on the bolded: There will be two ways in and out from that floor already, front door and back, so egress shouldn't be necessary.

bestme

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 2:33 pm
Maybe the garage could be converted to a play room, office or a storage room.
I would call other people to the house to get ideas on the house.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 2:53 pm
amother wrote:
I just saw a two family house in excellent condition but I am not sure which floor I’d want to live on and which floor to make the bedroom floor.

There are two floors and no basement. The ground floor is smaller because it has the garage so it might make sense to make that the bedroom floor. Also the windows are a little smaller on the ground. However the ground floor has a better kitchen and the ground floor also has the door to a very nice yard. One bedroom on the top floor has it’s own private bathroom which I could use as a master bedroom and bath.

It is very simple to convert the entranceway to a one family and the house is in beautiful condition and we don’t have a spare 100k so it’s going to be a very slow process until it’s completely a regular one family house.

Which floor should I live on and which floor for the bedrooms?

Bedrooms go on the second floor. For privacy. And because your resale value would go down dramatically otherwise.

If there's extra room on the second floor, think about using some of that space as a playroom/den, or as a laundry room, leaving the space on the first floor as living room, dining room and kitchen.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 4:14 pm
tryinghard wrote:
Commenting on the bolded: There will be two ways in and out from that floor already, front door and back, so egress shouldn't be necessary.

It doesn't matter. Each bedroom itself needs a means of egress other than the door.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 4:18 pm
definitely bedrooms on second floor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics