Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Where to shop in Chicago?

MidwestSpring

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 8:45 am
I will be visiting Chicago for a few days and was wondering where I can shop for women’s and girls clothing? Is there a store that also sells head coverings? I’m also looking for good kosher food stores.

Thanks for any advice as I’m not at all familiar with the area!

Fox

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 10:23 am
I'm probably the last person who should be responding to this thread since what I know about shopping in actual stores would fill a thimble, but I'll get things started and maybe more shopping-savvy Chicagoans can chime in.

For clothing and headcoverings, there is Magenta Boutique / Bowtique on the corner of Pratt and California. Magenta Bowtique

There is also It'z You on the corner of Richmond and Devon. (773) 465-5886.

I believe there are also a number of basement stores, but I'm not familiar with most. Maybe someone can fill in more details.

For food, there are a lot of options (I guess we're more into eating than shopping):

Jewel (on Howard and Kedzie) is owned by Albertson's, but a huge portion of their store is devoted to kosher products. There's a full-service deli, bakery, meat department, fish department, etc. They have a large kosher wine selection, too.

Marriano's (on Howard and McCormick) has a similar setup to Jewel, though perhaps a tad smaller. However, they also have a grill where you can get meat or fish, and a lot of people like their produce better. They also make the most addictive caramel corn in history.

Kol Tuv (on Devon and Richmond) is an independently-owned store that offers kosher basics along with more niche items, like specialty baking ingredients. They are able to introduce new kosher items quickly, so you can often find the latest products being promoted.

Hungarian Kosher Foods (in Skokie on Oakton and Crawford) is a full-service kosher supermarket known for their extensive wine selection and deli. I don't shop there often, so maybe someone else can be a bit more specific.

Enjoy, and keep cool -- the heat index will be over 100 starting on Shabbos!

corolla

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 10:25 am
If you are looking specifically for tznius clothing, there is a great store called Magenta that sells all kinds dresses/tops/skirts/shells + head coverings
http://magentabowtique.com/.
There is another one called Itz You that is very similar, but I believe their stock is a bit older
https://www.yelp.com/biz/itz-you-chicago.
Otherwise, check out Westfield Old Orchard for stores like Macy's, L&T, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, etc.
Feel free to PM me for more info.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 10:28 am
I dont know your budget but be forewarned both Magenta and itz you are pretty expensive. I live here and most of my friends dont shop there for more then an item or two.

corolla

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 10:34 am
mha3484 wrote:
I dont know your budget but be forewarned both Magenta and itz you are pretty expensive. I live here and most of my friends dont shop there for more then an item or two.

I second that. Target on Howard has some really great tznius things these days, as wells as Marshalls, TJ Maxx, etc.

Another place I love to go is Woodfield mall in Schaumburg. It's about 45 min from from Chicago, but its enormous and has Forever 21, H&M, JC Penney, Zara, Anthropologie, etc.
http://www.simon.com/mall/wood.....tores

MidwestSpring

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 4:29 pm
Wow thank you so much everyone for the helpful replies! Would it be worth a stop at both Hungarian Kosher and Kol Tuv? Im looking for items that are more commonly found on the East Coast and not so easily found in “oot” stores.

corolla

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 4:35 pm
MidwestSpring wrote:
Wow thank you so much everyone for the helpful replies! Would it be worth a stop at both Hungarian Kosher and Kol Tuv? Im looking for items that are more commonly found on the East Coast and not so easily found in “oot” stores.

Got it. Hungarian has a much bigger selection with an emphasis on Israeli products, as well as a bakery, deli, and fresh produce.

happy mommy6

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 8:11 pm
Itz you had more reasonably priced clothing, and they are right next door to kol tuv

Magenta is pretty expensive, but has, shells.
Next door is magenta bowtique that has, socks, robes, and head coverings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics