Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
"Mommy Camp" Support Thread
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

worldpeace

Post Sat, Jun 16 2018, 10:08 pm
SUMMER 2018 mommy camp here we come !
We should totally post our ideas plans inspiration etc
I am in Brooklyn and I was wondering what your expert advice is regarding if it’s worth buying museum membership?

OutATowner

Post Sat, Jun 16 2018, 10:14 pm
Meeee!! Strated making schedules and lists of activities, trips, etc.
Anyone know any stores that have free or low cost activities? Like Home Depot has DIY workshops for kids, but it's on Shabbos Sad , AC Moore has $2 crafts (but the only one that seems worth it is the first one, tie dye shirts), Barnes and Noble has free book for completed reading log...anyone know any others?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 1:29 am
I think meseum memberships are totally worth it. I find that I go more often to Brooklyn children's museum because I have a membership. I would not go so often if I would have to pay every time because I would always want to save the money. I often go for just 2 hours and I would never pay to go for two hours. Since I have a membership, I often go. I would recommend getting a membership at a location that has easy parking or easy public transportation from your house.

worldpeace

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 1:36 am
Thanks !

worldpeace

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 6:36 am
So I’m starting mommy camp in 2 days officially
Wondering how u suggest I structure it
2 kids ages 5 and 7
How many days a week should we do outings (trips - park museum zoo etc )and how many days a week should be staying home with fun activities (science experiments baking play dough etc )
Also how structured should each day be

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 6:45 am
My 4 year old will be going to a gan Israel, but it's expensive (30 euros a day, though a full day and includes everything afaik). So my others are not. She is the one needing the most structure. My 11 year old is signed up to weekly drawing course, and my 6 year old is going to try it. That's one activity. 11 year old will have an online course in SOMETHING (Japanese, coding... whtv). I am trying to get her into a kodesh class for the mornings. My 3 year old... like the others, there will be many videos, because I am not a camp (or an entertainment). One or two outings a week, and we have plenty of toys and a balcony. We installed a small picnic table there. We may install a small, pool. I normally send to a nice shorter day, heimish backyard camp for 10 euros a day. This year it's not opened.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:55 am
My kids have off for 10 weeks .
I am keeping my 5 year old home the whole summer
Sending my 8 & 10 year old to day camp for 4 weeks
My 12 year old will be going to a half day program for 4 weeks and a full day program for another 4 weeks
For those that are home I made it very clear that they will have to accompany me on errands/shopping a few times a week. I do plan on buying small prizes for them when we are out to make it more fun (like a chocolate bar, coloring book). We will go to the library 1x a week and borrow books and videos. I have a 10 inch blow up swimming pool, a trampoline, bikes... we will probably go to the park, mall, indoor play center, bake, bubbles, sidewalk chalk, play dough ... I also bought my kids a tablet and downloaded some games and put on parental controls so it will only be used for the games which I downloaded. I allowed each child 1 hour a day which I advised them to break up . Other then that, we’ll just be hanging around probably be slightly bored at times but we do have a house full of toys and games so hopefully the kids will be okay. We have a family wedding this summer and are hosting another family with kids for 2 weeks so that should keep my kids somewhat entertained. Personally, I need a break from getting them out to school every day, sitting with homework for hours at night.... I am happy for this change in routine and looking forward to keep washing bathing suits and not school uniforms!

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:00 am
Bubby camp starts tomorrow with trips, swimming, baking, sewing, chessed projects, crafts, shul activities, neighborhood kids who are waiting for their arrival, etc. The next three days, however will be in Brooklyn with cool culture card activities, library and getting sprayed in the playground fountain with some cousins who are not coming to Detroit.

The people at the Beit Zekainim really like when the kids come as well as a shut-in who has a nice dog that kids love.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:30 am
southernbubby wrote:
Bubby camp starts tomorrow with trips, swimming, baking, sewing, chessed projects, crafts, shul activities, neighborhood kids who are waiting for their arrival, etc. The next three days, however will be in Brooklyn with cool culture card activities, library and getting sprayed in the playground fountain with some cousins who are not coming to Detroit.

The people at the Beit Zekainim really like when the kids come as well as a shut-in who has a nice dog that kids love.

How exciting! How long is Camp Bubby for?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:54 am
[quote="flowerpower"]How exciting! How long is Camp Bubby for?[/quote

Until Shabbos Nachamu

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:59 am
southernbubby wrote:

Good for you! My mother did Bubby camp for my kids. She took one kid at a time for a week each. They absolutely loved it. She lives in NYC, so they did things like walk across the Brooklyn bridge , went on the Tram (cable car) to Roosevelt Island and then went to a playground to the sprinklers to get wet.
They did museums according to their age and taste, they did the Duck Tours, and other things.
She also had craft activities that they did at her house.
Some days they just helped her with laundry and errands.
It was a lot of fun and they have amazing memories. It's a really nice thing for a Bubby to do, if she can.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 1:04 pm
6, 3 and baby will all be home in summer Smile

6 and 3 will be home for 6 weeks

baby is always at home.

we have weekly plans and dayly plans similar to the ones we had last year (they worked really great, BUT this time im shlepping baby along, so we are a bit more flexible).

moday: sportsday - swimming, biking, climbing,

tuesday: artsday - painting pottery, drawing workshop, creating jewllery

wednesday: museumday . we have TONS of great museums in our town

thursday: playground/park day - there are so many greta parks and playgrounds we never visitied

friday: get ready for shabbos day - clean, cook, bake, kids help!!!

sunday: family activity (with dh)

8.00 davening, 8.20 breakfast, 9-10 drawing, listening to music or a story, reading (during which I tidy up and pack lunch)

10 we leave the house and do our activity

2 pm we are back and have a snack

3 - 5 kids play at home, read, draw, listen to music (I tidy up, laundry, undload dishwasher...) tuesday library, wedndesday playdate, thursdays we go to the groceries and run errands

5 - kids take a looong bath with toys

6 pm supper, 6.30 dh comes home from work - daddy time (45 minutes)

7.30 bedtime (I prepare tomorrows supper and do rest of household, dh goes to learn)

we take fotos and we write a diary in which we stick tickets, fotos, draw, write memories...every child may write what he/she liked theat day, what surprised him/her.

the first day of camp we design the cover of our campbook. we still have last years campbook and the kdis LOVE flipping through the pages Smile

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:
6, 3 and baby will all be home in summer Smile

6 and 3 will be home for 6 weeks

baby is always at home.

we have weekly plans and dayly plans similar to the ones we had last year (they worked really great, BUT this time im shlepping baby along, so we are a bit more flexible).

moday: sportsday - swimming, biking, climbing,

tuesday: artsday - painting pottery, drawing workshop, creating jewllery

wednesday: museumday . we have TONS of great museums in our town

thursday: playground/park day - there are so many greta parks and playgrounds we never visitied

friday: get ready for shabbos day - clean, cook, bake, kids help!!!

sunday: family activity (with dh)

8.00 davening, 8.20 breakfast, 9-10 drawing, listening to music or a story, reading (during which I tidy up and pack lunch)

10 we leave the house and do our activity

2 pm we are back and have a snack

3 - 5 kids play at home, read, draw, listen to music (I tidy up, laundry, undload dishwasher...) tuesday library, wedndesday playdate, thursdays we go to the groceries and run errands

5 - kids take a looong bath with toys

6 pm supper, 6.30 dh comes home from work - daddy time (45 minutes)

7.30 bedtime (I prepare tomorrows supper and do rest of household, dh goes to learn)

we take fotos and we write a diary in which we stick tickets, fotos, draw, write memories...every child may write what he/she liked theat day, what surprised him/her.

the first day of camp we design the cover of our campbook. we still have last years campbook and the kdis LOVE flipping through the pages Smile

Wow so organized!

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 6:05 pm
Love love the idea of scrapbooking the days or just placing pictures in an album
this would be a good project for an older kid/tween to prep for the family.
also for 7/8+ and those of you who use computers. the kids can teach themselves to touchtype. there's a few great websites for it and if they do 15 minutes a day they would really gain and make progress.
a cute idea someone told me is to go to the dollar store but kids first do a goral and draw names of another sibling . they then choose a gift for the sibling. (secretly) come home wrap it and make a note. then kids swap and give out little gifts.
for Friday I would definitely add a parsha lesson or prep in some way. either listening to the parsha story or making a parsha poster. older kids could make a parsha worksheet for younger ones.
I love the idea of taking kids to volunteer. even the younger ones (4+) can do food packing or something similar.
appreciation day is a nice idea ive done. kids choose 2 or 3 people they want to show hakoras hatov to and make something for them. then present (librarian, police officer, security guy, daddy, bubby, neighbour...)
hope this helps

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 6:37 pm
New poster here. Can we give ideas NOT NYC related? I'm from Europe and looking for ideas

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 6:50 pm
Sorry this doesn't help the above poster, but wondering if anyone can suggest a kids' theater in the NYC / long island area?

Other ideas (NYC): thinking of trying renting a family bike at flushing meadows, and we'll find out if the older kids are big enough to peddle with me!

Fort totten park, and alley pond nature reserve, if the weather is not too hot

worldpeace

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 6:59 pm
Thanks for the replies ! So impressed with the Mom who has a baby and has quite the schedule! I’d love to hear more
Like mela planning what do u make and stuff etc if ur ok with sharing meal plans menus

worldpeace

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 7:00 pm
( Bc you’re out all morning, how do u have any energy left for cooking at 730 pm
Trying to figure that out lol

mirror

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 7:17 pm
You can get free printable coloring pages from

http://www.coloring.ws/coloring.html

and

http://www.crayola.com/feature.....ages/

There are other web sites but they have malware. These two don't have malware (unless your computer is already infected).

Dover publications has a coloring newsletter. If you sign up for it they will send you free coloring pages twice a month (I think). Unfortunately they also send you advertisements. You have to check your email for the Dover Coloring Newsletter and just delete the other junk.

http://store.doverpublications......html

DVOM

Post Mon, Jun 25 2018, 6:47 am
WOW! I'm so impressed with these mommy camps! My kids will be in day camp (bungalow colony) when school here in Lakewood ends for the summer (in mid-July)... you guys are making me kinda jealous that we don't keep them home!

We love day trips on summer Fridays and Sundays though. If anyone is in the Lakewood area and wants some ideas of free stuff to do:

Fossil hunting in Big Brook preserve in Colts Neck. My kids have found amazing shark teeth, squid pens, huge fossil shells.

Barnegat Bay lighthouse. Climbing to the top of the lighthouse is free, and the view is gorgeous! If you have the patience to do it, a 45 min to an hour long treck along the rock wall will get you to a very deserted beach that pokes out into the ocean. We have found massive seashells on this beach!

The spraypark at Dorbrook Rec Area is clean, quiet, and so fun! The dry playground area is also great, with clean bathrooms and a great sandpit.

Fireworks at Jenkenson's boardwalk every Thursday night at dusk. We've never gone, but plan to this week.

I love the Mommypoppins website. We've found really great things to do searching this site.

If anyone has any other ideas of free things to do in the Lakewood area, please share! I'm always looking for new ideas!
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics