Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Store bought foods without eggs and egg free recipes pls
1  2  Next

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 11:51 am
My toddler was recently diagnosed with an egg allergy. I’m rlly new to this I want to do a shopping and cook/ bake something’s for her to have on hand anyone familiar with this and have some good recipes? Also really want some ready made foods or baked goods they sell in regular supermarkets TIA

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 12:08 pm
You're going to have to become really good at reading labels in the store Smile In terms of home baked foods, I use ener-g egg replacer to replace eggs in some baked goods. It works pretty well in recipes with one or max two eggs. I prefer to just use recipes that are naturally egg free though. There are lots of good challah recipes with no egg (I haven't found anything sokd completely without egg where I live, there's always an egg wash). Also look up crazy cake for a great egg free cake/cupcake recipe. Things like kugel just don't work well without real eggs. There are egg free mayos if you're interested.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 1:46 pm
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....03628

Lickity Split Chocolate Cake (Pareve, Eggless, Nut-Free)

Easiest recipe ever.
Makes an 8x8 square pan; double recipe for a 9x13

1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. water
6 Tbsp. oil
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
optional: 1/2 package instant pudding (makes it amazingly moist and yummy! I like vanilla better than chocolate)
Crunch/Topping: brown sugar, cinnamon, chocolate chips, crumbled cookies... get creative! (If you like, coconut flakes, chopped nuts, etc.)

Spray an 8x8 cake pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine dry ingredients (including pudding mix) in large mixing bowl, then add wet. Mix until smooth.
Pour 1/3 of batter into pan.
Sprinkle topping ingredients over batter (whatever combination of ingredients you like. I like brown sugar, cinnamon, chocolate chips and crumbled Oreos - enough to cover the surface of the batter.)
Pour remaining batter over topping.
Sprinkle more topping ingredients over cake. (If you add pudding, batter will be thick. Try to dollop it so that it evenly covers the middle layer of crunch.)
Bake 40-50 minutes at 350 degrees.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 1:58 pm
I haven’t tried it, but you can replace egg with flax.
For store bought items, if they say VEGAN they won’t have egg.

shuls_613

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 2:09 pm
I have a lot of recipes without eggs- we used to have someone with an intolerance. Now it's fine but I got used to making everything without. Let me know if you want any of them: chocolate chip cookies, brownies, crinkle cookies, sugar cookies, blondies, pancakes, challah, muffins.

Also for recipes with small amounts of eggs cornstarch and water can be a replacement 1 egg= 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed into 2 tbsp water.

Motherhood

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 5:35 pm
My son is also allergic to eggs. Rule of thumb is that eggs make fluffy, so flat cookies/crackers are fine. Ex. Jack &Jill cookies, snackers, crackers, sandwich cookies, wafers.... there's plenty out there. For challos, some bakeries sell, but I bake my own- I just omit the eggs. It may need to rise a bit longer, because eggs help make fluffy.... Good luck!

nanny24/7

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 6:16 pm
One 4 oz. single pack of apple sauce can substitute every 2 eggs for any cookie or dough recipe.
Cakes that have many eggs though that may not work. It works for any baking recipes that only call for 4 or less eggs.
Good luck!!
Oh and for gefilte fish I used to have a recipe but basically you add one more tablespoon of matzah meal and one ounce of seltzer (for fluffiness) and ommit the eggs. I had the fish store custom make me egg free rolls a bunch at a time to freeze.
Note that marshmallow fluff has egg whites in it.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 6:20 pm
What types of food are you looking for specifically?

For real food: meat, chicken, fish, fruits, veggies, dairy products, grains (cereal, oats, rice). Many store bought chicken nuggets don't have egg. Most pastas technically don't have eggs, but are often produced on facilities that use eggs, depending on if your doctor's ok with that. Most breads are ok too.

Challah: pretzel Challahs usually don't have eggs. Bread rolls/baguettes are often ok too

Snacks: many types of crackers are ok (including graham crackers, rice cakes, etc.). As someone mentioned, wafers and sandwich cookies are good options. Choco bliss brand chocolate fudge cookies and mint fudge cookies are ok. Apple sauce, fruit leather, some ice creams, and most candy (excluding candy corn) are ok. Many chips, corn snacks, pretzels, and other bagged snacks are ok.

Motherhood

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 6:35 pm
nanny24/7 wrote:

Note that marshmallow fluff has egg whites in it.

Also gedilla totally taffy and shufra wunchies. Be careful of any goo-ey substance as it is usually eggs that makes it

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 6:47 pm
I'm going to reiterate that's it's very important to read labels. Eggs can show up in random places, and the only way to know for sure is to check.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 8:36 pm
DD has an egg allergy.
I bake (challah use Rebbetzin Kanievsky's recipe from the BY cookbook). It's a water challah. It's yum.
Hellman's now sells an egg-free /vegan mayo. Vegenaise is another company. That way I can still make egg salad and tuna salad.

I use the egg substitute named above sometimes, applesauce other times....
Since another child of mine has sesame/nuts/legumes allergies, I bake / make everything at home.
Google vegan recipes.... that should also help.
Happy baking!

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 8:44 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
DD has an egg allergy.
I bake (challah use Rebbetzin Kanievsky's recipe from the BY cookbook). It's a water challah. It's yum.
Hellman's now sells an egg-free /vegan mayo. Vegenaise is another company. That way I can still make egg salad and tuna salad.

I use the egg substitute named above sometimes, applesauce other times....
Since another child of mine has sesame/nuts/legumes allergies, I bake / make everything at home.
Google vegan recipes.... that should also help.
Happy baking!

LOL

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 8:47 pm
Some of my kids used to have egg allergies. I found it interesting that many commercially baked goods do not contain eggs... saves them those few pennies, hey, all those pennies really add up! On the plus side, you can find a lot of baked goods, on the minus side - a lot of the store bought stuff is pure junk.

Yocheved_G

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 8:58 pm
As mentioned above, flax meal mixed with water (1 tbsp to 2 tbsp ratio) can substitute the egg in a baked good recipe.

I have had the most success with chocolate chip cookie bars and sweet yeast dough (cinnamon buns, chocolate babka) & banana nut muffins - the flax meal taste is well complemented.

I’ve gotten mixed reviews on cocoa based recipes (brownies & chocolate cake - the the description given was ‘play dough mixed with dirt’... ). If you don’t mind the flavor it can be used in many traditional recipes.

Seltzer is a helpful substitute for making an egg-free challah.

bmom1

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 2:00 am
How do you sub in seltzer in challah? I have children with Celiac and just found out my baby has an egg allergy so trying to adjust my gluten free challah recipe... Thank you for any ideas!

silverlining3

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 3:17 am
Pizza doesn't contain eggs.
Water challa.
Many crackers and cookies.
Reading labels is the key.

amother
White

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:51 am
I cook up chickpeas and save the water. I found its an excellent replacement for all baked goods. I have been told it works in kugel too but I never tried it.

In Monsey Zishes bakery sells some egg and nut free products. For some reason its not labeled with both notices so we were hesitant to buy it until we asked if they have any and the bakery owner told us about it being baked in a seperate place.

Chusters is the only company pasta that we have found to be okay and not in a facility with eggs (though keep reading labels since companies change their ingredients or notices.)

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 7:11 am
As others have said, anything labeled "Vegan" is safe. The plant has to be certified vegan in order to put that on their label - mainly due to potential allergy litigation.

Fortunately we live in an age of the food blog, and there are zillions of really good Vegan blogs out there. For main courses, just add the protein of your choice. Dessert recipes are tried and tested already, so that takes away a lot of the guesswork.

Flax can be tricky, so make sure you follow the recipes exactly, and in the right order. I made some pancakes the other day that came out slimy and gummy, and even the dog didn't like them! Confused

I make a vegan mayo by using raw cashews to replace the egg. You have to really blend it well to make sure that it's not grainy with pieces of nut, but it gets very creamy and tastes exactly the same. Throw in a handful of fresh herbs, and you have a yummy salad dressing.

I'm not vegan, but I spent a year and a half as a personal chef for a vegan couple. I made Shabbos for them, and enough food for them to have for the rest of the week. (I'm so sad. They are very elderly, and ever since Covid I haven't been able to go to them. Sad )

smile4ever

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:39 am
I have family members with egg allergy and have a bunch of recipes, cake, cookies, challa, kugel etc. Pm me if you want them.

MiriFr

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:54 pm
I know this is an oldish thread, but I thought I’d give my ideas and help a fellow allergy mama out!
My babe is allergic to animal protein, so he’s vegan!
Here we go:
Pizza
Pasta
Hamburgers
Meatballs with sautéed onions and baked
Tacos
Water challah
Oatmeal
Oreos
Tea biscuits
Almost all packaged oatmeal cookies
Lots of packaged cookies actually
Try to get your hands on Just Egg. I get from Wegmans near Lakewood. It’s good for scrambled eggs, French toast, binding some things together, making breaded chicken cutlets.
I use bobs redmill egg replacer for cake and cookies.
I use Hellman’s vegan mayo.
I have a million cakes and cookies recipes if you want!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics