Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Dresses - how much longer will they be in?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

DrMom

Post Sat, Jun 16 2018, 2:07 pm
I don't think dresses will ever go *totally* out of style. Women have been wearing dresses for centuries.

I would say the same for separates.

If you don't like a certain style, just ignore it.

WastingTime

Post Sat, Jun 16 2018, 2:53 pm
I looove dresses. You have a complete outfit at once, comfortable and cute.
My problem is I'm pregnant and wondering what I'll do when nursing/ when I'll wear them again. Hope they don't go out of style in the next 2 yrs!!!

amother
Green

Post Sat, Jun 16 2018, 10:12 pm
amother wrote:
Can someone post some links of flattering trendy dresses (with shape, many Ive seen have the shape of potato sacks), but not too trendy, body-con, but not too body con for women 40 and up?

Thanks.

BUMP

bigsis144

Post Sat, Jun 16 2018, 10:57 pm
I love dresses in theory but haven’t found anything satisfactory.

My problems with dresses go as follows:

(1) yeah, no shells, but then you have to find the perfect neckline that won’t stretch out. Or wear a shell underneath if it does.

(2) thin, clingy fabric. People say dresses are “so forgiving” but to me a dress is only forgiving in comfort, not hiding my squishy blobby torso and underthings. I don’t want to have to wear spanx and a slip to look smooth and fat-ripple-free in an otherwise totally loose-fitting dress!!

(3) accessorizing is stressful, full stop. I don’t know how to wear a belt!! I don’t know if just putting on a chunky necklace with this will fool the populace into believing I’m not just going outside in a calf-length T-shirt... I don’t have that level of confidence!!

(4) as much as I hate shells, I need layers over my torso/trunk most of all. Something that fits properly on my arms leaves me feeling so exposed in the chest/belly area. I can never just wear a plain crew neck T-shirt, so I think I would need a cardigan or vest to add a second layer over any dress...

(5) separates mean that if part of an outfit wears out, you can just buy half a new outfit. If a dress starts to get armpit stains, or the fabric pills, etc., you have to buy a whole new dress.

(6) “dark bottom, colorful top” is my way of feeling flattered yet not drab. Many dresses are the same pattern or color throughout, much harder to hide physical imperfections.

So as a busty, lumpy gal with no fashion sense, I too would appreciate links to dresses I can actually wear!

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Jun 16 2018, 11:42 pm
Without reading this whole thread, I'm going to respond... why are people so hung up on what's in style? If it doesn't flatter you, don't wear it!

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

rainbow

Post Sat, Jun 16 2018, 11:45 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

(3) I don’t know if just putting on a chunky necklace with this will fool the populace into believing I’m not just going outside in a calf-length T-shirt...

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother
Green

Post Sat, Jun 16 2018, 11:46 pm
smileforamile wrote:
Without reading this whole thread, I'm going to respond... why are people so hung up on what's in style? If it doesn't flatter you, don't wear it!

Im interested to see tznius dress styles because I may not be aware of flattering tznius dress styles out there.

Dresses have the big advantage of not having to match tops to bottoms, which is a headache.

nylon

Post Sat, Jun 16 2018, 11:47 pm
eShakti is a great option because you can customize necklines, sleeves, and hemlines (not all options are available on all dresses, but there's a lot of choice).

I used to think a skirt and top was a better choice for me, but lately I'm finding that the knit dresses suit me well as long as they are not clingy or a sheath type, and they're so easy to accessorize. In the winter I wear sweater dresses with leggings and I love this--it's practical, comfortable, and looks good.

soap suds

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 12:13 am
bigsis144 wrote:
(3) accessorizing is stressful, full stop. I don't know how to wear a belt!! I don’t know if just putting on a chunky necklace with this will fool the populace into believing I’m not just going outside in a calf-length T-shirt... I don’t have that level of confidence!!

accessorizing is where I get stuck. I neverknow what to look for. I wish they'd sell clothing with accessories included.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 12:30 am
For year's Im only wearing dresses, I look so much better in dresses than skirts & tops. I don't care if it's in style or not. Looking good is always in style!

grace413

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 1:21 am
Love dresses. So easy to just deal with one piece.

I'm short and lumpy and think they look good on me.

Advice for other short and lumpy people: princess seams.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 8:10 am
Anyone know of a fitted dress, either a sheath or fishtail style, that isnt made tight around the rear (for a small top/big rear pear- shaped tallish body)?

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 8:35 am
amother wrote:
Anyone know of a fitted dress, either a sheath or fishtail style, that isnt made tight around the rear (for a small top/big rear pear- shaped tallish body)?
I think those dresses are not flattering for that body type. If you’re looking for something good for your body shape, look for waisted alone dresses, or drop waist dresses.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 9:11 am
I'm the figure described above, small on top, large bottom. The style I look best in is waisted a-line or flarey dresses.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 9:48 am
not only dresses but happy colours & flowers ... seems like the 70s & 80s again ... but what goes around comes around - save them for your grandchildren lol

mirror

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 10:48 am
In exactly 5 hours, 45 minutes and 13 seconds every dress will be out of style for the next 7 years.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 2:57 pm
amother wrote:
I think those dresses are not flattering for that body type. If you’re looking for something good for your body shape, look for waisted alone dresses, or drop waist dresses.

Its the only style that works for me actually.

Anything waisted makes my rear look twice as big relative to my tiny shoulders.

Sheath or Fitted all the way down, with width beginning at the mid thigh or lower are the only styles that work for my size 4/6 shoulders and way bigger rear.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 9:25 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Funny, I bought some dresses that are too clingy for me to wear on the street but perfect as a tzniut yet s-xy nightgown.

I love them and their cheaper than buying full nightgowns!
Tzniut yet s-xy? Am I supposed to be wearing tighter nightgowns during niddah-I thought I was supposed to wear basically tznius like I would wear outside..

Rappel

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 9:33 pm
OP: I'm pretty sure the modesty trends of the last decade have been driven by Muslim buying power. (Unless there is a larger, modesty-driven group that someone knows about.)

So... Never?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics