Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Camp - what kind of labels recommended?

mother4

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 12:16 pm
Iron on
Sew on
Markers?
Do I do do one on each sock?

Sorry... Im a first timer for my kids.
I myself, never ever went

simcha2

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 1:12 pm
This

https://www.amazon.com/Trodat-.....a_1_2

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 1:15 pm
For items with a white tag, I found labeling with a laundry marker easiest. For other items (like dark socks or anything that couldn't be labeled by marker) I used iron-ons from labeland.

animeme

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 1:24 pm
Black sharpie for white and light tags and socks. Silver sharpie for dark. Socks get initials on the bottoms of the toes. I write on the thick part of the collar or waistband if the clothes don't have tags (at all or anymore).

I used to use the stamps. I found it faded and was awkward sometimes.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 1:32 pm
We've done it all.

For things that have tags, the stick on labels work great. For things without tags, iron on stickers. I occasionally notice things with tags on them from years ago, so they really do last.

For socks, use a Sharpie.

But don't expect to get everything back, no matter how you label. I know of someone who actually sewed labels, in a loop, on each and every one of her kids' socks. And I know because I got some of them back with DS2's stuff. (In reality, the socks always come back so disgusting that I used to tell the kids to just throw them all away, and buy new socks when they get home.)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 1:38 pm
I keep a stamp, sharpie and iron on labels handy. We use all 3 at once. Stamp is the easiest so when it works we use that. Iron on labels I either iron on or sew on, depending on need. Sharpie for other things like pool gear, caps, etc. Most of our socks are dark so we iron on labels on the bottom of each one (I know, annoying to have to mark each one, but worthwhile).

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 1:49 pm
I ordered from Mabel's Labels. Wht a pleasure to have stickers to put on every garment (no iron-on, no writing with a sharpie), shoe and accessory. I was worried they'd start to unstick from laundry, but they're still on there a year later and holding up beautifully.

www.mabelslabels.com

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 2:19 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I ordered from Mabel's Labels. Wht a pleasure to have stickers to put on every garment (no iron-on, no writing with a sharpie), shoe and accessory. I was worried they'd start to unstick from laundry, but they're still on there a year later and holding up beautifully.

www.mabelslabels.com

The tag mates stick on clothing labels seem phenomenal, if they really have been lasting through washes all year - thanks for sharing the link!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 2:25 pm
MiracleMama wrote:

www.mabelslabels.com

FTR, I recently noticed one of these labels on one of my oldest son's Shabbat shirts. He last went to camp 4 years ago.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 2:28 pm
I like to use the sew on labels for everything, including socks & underwear. I find the iron on & stamp/marker comes off in the wash.

mother4

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 10:45 pm
I have to sew everything by hand? No machinešŸ˜£

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 7:41 pm
MiracleMama wrote:

www.mabelslabels.com

Thanks again for telling me about these!
I needed them quickly so I ordered these from Amazon which had great reviews and they arrived in 6 days with standard shipping. They were $0.22 each instead of $0.30.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Jun 17 2018, 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 8:38 pm
As someone who a) works at a sleepaway camp and b) sends kids to camp... I never bother putting labels on socks and underwear because, (with a few exceptions, and maybe your kid is one), no one claims those items when they're on the floor or wherever and the labeling is a waste of time and energy.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:
As someone who a) works at a sleepaway camp and b) sends kids to camp... I never bother putting labels on socks and underwear because, (with a few exceptions, and maybe your kid is one), no one claims those items when they're on the floor or wherever and the labeling is a waste of time and energy.

Do your kids' socks and underwear get returned to them each week when the mass washing of clean clothes comes back to the bunks? I guess since you work in the camp, you do your kids' laundry yourself Wink

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 8:44 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Do your kids' socks and underwear get returned to them each week when the mass washing of clean clothes comes back to the bunks? I guess since you work in the camp, you do your kids' laundry yourself Wink

Since I work at camp I don't have an extra second to do my kid's laundry and I'm certainly not doing it for my boys at their camp...

I send them with several (labeled) mesh bags for socks and underwear and they claim that from the laundry when it comes back to the bunks.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 10:03 pm
I still label my preschoolers socks for swimming at day camp and will iy"h label my older one's when she goes to camp too. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children