Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Please help me argue an important point
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 5:38 pm
Please help me logically argue against these incorrect statements. I would also appreciate it if you don't bash ne for this thread.

So

People with disabilities or mental illness will always take more from society than they give.

Therefore

They should ideally be terminated on diagnosis, or as soon as it becomes apparent that they will be more draining than contributing

Failing this, at least no resources whatsoever should be wasted on them, and they should be left to flounder on the edge of society until they die a natural death.

Of course this is WRONG.

But why?

Can you give me some logical arguments please?

Thank you muchly.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 5:42 pm
amother wrote:
Please help me logically argue against these incorrect statements. I would also appreciate it if you don't bash ne for this thread.

So

People with disabilities or mental illness will always take more from society than they give.

Therefore

They should ideally be terminated on diagnosis, or as soon as it becomes apparent that they will be more draining than contributing

Failing this, at least no resources whatsoever should be wasted on them, and they should be left to flounder on the edge of society until they die a natural death.

Of course this is WRONG.

But why?

Thank you muchly.

Just curious why you need to argue against the idea you wrote? Is there anyone who actually says that people should be "terminated" when diagnosed or when it becomes apperant they will take more than they give? Is there a real person on the other side of this argument?

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 5:58 pm
amother wrote:
Just curious why you need to argue against the idea you wrote? Is there anyone who actually says that people should be "terminated" when diagnosed or when it becomes appellant they will take more than they give? Is there a real person on the other side of this argument?

I'm not the OP, but that is absolutely the viewpoint in some places. It used to be the common viewpoint,but thankfully most consider it out outdated now.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:04 pm
Yes there is a real.person on the other side of the argument.

Sad

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:09 pm
Is this person religious? (Sounds like not Sad).

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:11 pm
amother wrote:

So

Therefore

Of course this is WRONG.

But why?

Thank you muchly.

Stephen Hawking

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:12 pm
I have learned a lot from people who have been diagnosed with mental illness or other disabilities. Not to mention they offer invaluable opportunities for practicing kindness and patience.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:12 pm
Why? because he/she was created b'tzelem Elokim.
he/she will bring out stregnths in you that you didn't know existed.
he/she will bring out a love from your heart that you've never experienced.
he/she will Not be a burden. but a labor of love & an endless opportunity for 24/7 built in chesed.
he/she will teach you to appreciate even the small things in life.
he/she will teach you not to take anything for granted. not even the ability to close your mouth.
he/she will give you such a warm hug, it will melt your heart.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:16 pm
cnc wrote:
I'm not the OP, but that is absolutely the viewpoint in some places. It used to be the common viewpoint,but thankfully most consider it out outdated now.

Can you actually name any person, group, or organization that currently holds by this? I think at some point we can't try to convince every crazy person out there. There are people who believe that elvis is alive and he is actually the rav in my shul. Should I bother convincing these people otherwise? It gives them credibility to acknowledge their view. Fortunately, they are in the smallest of minorities and can be disregarded and ignored.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:20 pm
Squishy wrote:
Stephen Hawking

"he is the exception the proves the rule"

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:
Why? because he/she was created b'tzelem Elokim.
he/she will bring out stregnths in you that you didn't know existed.
he/she will bring out a love from your heart that you've never experienced.
he/she will Not be a burden. but a labor of love & an endless opportunity for 24/7 built in chesed.
he/she will teach ty to appreciate
the small things in life.
he/she will teach you not to take anything for granted. not even the ability to close your mouth.
he/she will give you such a warm hug, it will melt your heart.

Pewter this is exceptionally good.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:24 pm
delete

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:26 pm
amother wrote:
Can you actually name any person, group, or organization that currently holds by this? I think at some point we can't try to convince every crazy person out there. There are people who believe that elvis is alive and he is actually the rav in my shul. Should I bother convincing these people otherwise? It gives them credibility to acknowledge their view. Fortunately, they are in the smallest of minorities and can be disregarded and ignored.

"why is it I crazy? No one wants them. They are always causing problems. Why not just get rid of them?"

Sad

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:28 pm
amother wrote:
delete

Curious what else you came up with! Wink

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:32 pm
amother wrote:
"he is the exception the proves the rule"

Helen Keller

FDR (dude was in a wheelchair)

Stevie Wonder

Ray Charles

Marlee Matlin

Ralph Braun

... and mental illness:

Sylvia Plath

Beethoven

Abraham Lincoln

Winston Churchill

Buzz Aldrin

Pat Conroy

Nikola Tesla

Ernest Hemingway

To name a few.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
Curious what else you came up with! Wink

lol! before you edited your response, I responded & then realized that your response must've been an autocorrect. so I deleted my question to explain what you wrote...
in any case. there is a lot to say on the subject!

But here's what I'll add before I run off to take care of my kiddies!
His/her Neshama will shine through.
I've seen this again and again.
the innocence and purity is not seen anywhere else.

amother
Purple

Op, the viewpoint you want to argue sounds like the viewpoint of Hitler. Not so?

Maryann

Honestly I learn so much fr these disadvantaged people. I learn how to be kind considerate, appreciate the important things in life.
Money isn't everything

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:37 pm
Just jumping in to say that in the US if anyone can prove they were terminated due to a disability or medical diagnosis, they can sue for a whole lot

Mothers

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:

So

Therefore

Of course this is WRONG.

But why?

Thank you muchly.

It’s WRONG, because the original premise is WRONG.

Just because a person has a disability or mental illness doesn’t mean that individual has nothing to offer society. Many people with disabilities or mental illness have contributed and contribute to their families and communities. Many artists suffer(ed) with mental illness, but they enriched our lives with their artistic compositions (names provided upon request). Several presidents and world leaders suffered from depression, but that does not take away from their service to their country. Rav Nosson Tzvi Finkel is an outstanding example of an individual who battled a crippling disease, but made incalculable contribution to society.

Since the original statement is INVALID, conclusions drawn from it are INVALID, as well.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics