Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Moving and summer homework

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 7:23 pm
We are be"H moving this summer, and I have a child going into first and going into 2nd. Both really need to work on their reading skills. There's a good chance that going from their NY based school to an out of town school they will still be "on par" come September even if they regress, but I'm not so much worried about the work but rather the motivation. They were told by their now former teachers that if they (the class) do it, they will get a prize after the summer. I don't know what kind of incentive program, if anything will be in their new school, but so far 2 days into the program my elder son has been diligent with his homework--but I dont want to break his heart if he does it all "l'shma". Will their new school allow them to be part of whatever incentive program they have? Do they mail their homework packet back to their old teachers?

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 7:28 pm
I'm moving this summer and my kids' morahs said I can mail the completed packet and they'll mail us the prize. Or ask them what the prize is so you can get it to give them yourself.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 7:59 pm
Get them the prize! Even if you have to package it up and tell them it came in the mail from their previous teachers.

tachles

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 8:03 pm
You have all summer to find a deal on a prize that they would like. Target should have something.
I would say since were switching school and I don’t want you to miss out I’ll get you s prize. Next summer I’m sure your new school will run a fun program too. Plain and honest

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 12:34 am
The prizes are generally some kind of cheap junk, and by the end of the summer it's not even forefront in the kid's mind anymore.

I would strongly suggest calling the new school they will be entering and ask for a copy of any summer homework that their class received, so that you can use it to prepare them for the school year they're really going into. Do that instead of last year's, and offer your own incentive.

Also, I don't know what kind of teachers you've had, but in my schools if a former student mailed back their summer homework the teacher would surely mail back a prize with a warm, friendly letter Smile

essie14

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 12:42 am
seeker wrote:
The prizes are generally some kind of cheap junk, and by the end of the summer it's not even forefront in the kid's mind anymore.

I would strongly suggest calling the new school they will be entering and ask for a copy of any summer homework that their class received, so that you can use it to prepare them for the school year they're really going into. Do that instead of last year's, and offer your own incentive.

Also, I don't know what kind of teachers you've had, but in my schools if a former student mailed back their summer homework the teacher would surely mail back a prize with a warm, friendly letter Smile

I was going to suggest the same as the bolded.
And give your kids the prize yourself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children