Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Attn writers: How much do you charge?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 10:23 pm
Just trying to get an idea of how fair/low/high my prices are.

Any writers out there:

How much do you charge per word for website content? Or do you charge per project? If so, how much?

Do you have the same rates for advertorials or any other writing you do for random clients?

Have you ever asked for or received a raise from a publication you've been writing for after a number of years?

Tia!

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 11:33 pm
Are you on the soferet group? These sorts of questions come up there all the time, you could search the archives. Good luck!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 7:20 am
Sometimes to all.
I will do for free, too, when it's worth it and when it's something I encourage.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 9:38 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Are you on the soferet group? These sorts of questions come up there all the time, you could search the archives. Good luck!

I am but I find that the majority of Soferet is based in Israel, so it doesn't help me much with these kinds of inquiries. Thanks, though.

Anyone US based writers here?

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 1:49 am
amother wrote:
I am but I find that the majority of Soferet is based in Israel, so it doesn't help me much with these kinds of inquiries. Thanks, though.

I am. But I think we do different kinds of things. I didn’t realize the majority of Soferet is Israel-based. I guess I haven’t been paying much attention. I’m not very active on there, I usually just skim the topics in the daily email. It might be worth searching the archives for a US-based price discussion. Or you can post the question yourself. There are so many people on that list by now, from all over, you should get plenty of answers.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 1:59 am
amother wrote:

Post subject line: USA rates for _______
Many people work with USA costumers cuz they want better pay.
Many people are from the USA, there's over 1000 people there! You think not one can answer?

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 10:33 am
It's definitely worth it to post on Soferet and ask for US-based responses, but in my experience on the list, the overwhelming majority of the members - or at least the regular posters and responders - are based in Eretz Yisroel, where pay rates are often much lower than in the US.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 10:42 am
I write in the US, but I don't have a set fee schedule because I do a lot of different types of projects. Publications usually have their own pay rates by word (and it's not a lot, I'd say $0.10/word on average), but there's one that I write for on a regular basis and have negotiated my own rate per piece.

I do a lot of writing in various capacities for private clients, and I generally charge by project unless I'll be working for them on a steady basis (I.e. blogging). It's really hard to set a rate - it took me a long time to work out approximately how long a project will take, how much effort it will require, how much to charge for excessive revisions, etc. You really have to figure out what works best for you and how much you believe your time is worth. If you're just starting out, your fees should be lower while you build up a reputation and a client base.

Generally, my clients do not complain about my rates and many have stuck with me for several years. I have had some turn down my quote because the pricing was out of budget for them, but that only happens occasionally and it's usually from people who are willing to settle for lower-quality writing. (I actually once had a client turn down my quote, use another writer, and then come back to me because the cheaper writer didn't provide high-quality work - so he had to pay twice).

Good luck! It takes time and effort to come up with a fee schedule.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 9:30 pm
amother wrote:
I write in the US, but I don't have a set fee schedule because I do a lot of different types of projects. Publications usually have their own pay rates by word (and it's not a lot, I'd say $0.10/word on average), but there's one that I write for on a regular basis and have negotiated my own rate per piece.

I do a lot of writing in various capacities for private clients, and I generally charge by project unless I'll be working for them on a steady basis (I.e. blogging). It's really hard to set a rate - it took me a long time to work out approximately how long a project will take, how much effort it will require, how much to charge for excessive revisions, etc. You really have to figure out what works best for you and how much you believe your time is worth. If you're just starting out, your fees should be lower while you build up a reputation and a client base.

Generally, my clients do not complain about my rates and many have stuck with me for several years. I have had some turn down my quote because the pricing was out of budget for them, but that only happens occasionally and it's usually from people who are willing to settle for lower-quality writing. (I actually once had a client turn down my quote, use another writer, and then come back to me because the cheaper writer didn't provide high-quality work - so he had to pay twice).

Good luck! It takes time and effort to come up with a fee schedule.

Thanks so much for sharing!

I'm actually in the field for a while and wondering if I can raise my prices. I don't want to overcharge or work for peanuts either....

Charging per project is starting to sound more attractive.

Anyone willing to share their actual fees?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics