Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Part time - pay

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 7:52 pm
I work part time. Right now I get paid hourly, only for the actual hours I work. If I come late, leave early, legal holidays or Yom Tov I dont get paid.I clock in and out. My part time coworker is salaried.

I will be asking for a raise. I prefer to be paid hourly, since no one bothers me when I come late. I get paid if I come early, stay late or work at night (doesnt happen that often).

Can I ask to get paid for legal holidays and yom tov? How about paid vacation days? My part time coworker get a steady paycheck regardless of her hours.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 7:54 pm
It depends on the company policy. At one of my places part time workers got half the paid vacation and sick days than full time workers but they got paid for all the holidays but let's say only 4 hours as opposed to an 8 hr day

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 7:56 pm
Do they give you a W-2 or 1099?

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 7:59 pm
we are a small, but growing company. Everyone has their responsibilities. It seems like all recent employees have salaries, no vacation hours. To me it seems like they get paid regardless of their hours. They ask for permission before leaving early or coming in late. They stay home if they are sick and monitor their work remotely.

I do the same, but if I come late or leave early I dont get paid. Even if I monitor my emails.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 8:00 pm
amother wrote:
Do they give you a W-2 or 1099?

I get a w2.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 9:26 pm
are you in New York?

https://www.labor.ny.gov/worke.....htm#9

The employer needs to generate a policy regarding vacation hours. seems inequitable to appy that policy for certain employees and not others - based only on a formula of how the employee is paid.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 11:11 am
I live in canada - not the states.

but I get stat holidays paid for but that's it.

no sick days, no yom tov days.

if I don't work, I don't get paid. that's they way it is here if your part time.

I don't like it at all, but it's my choice to work part time.

I do get 4% vacation pay added to every paycheck.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
I live in canada - not the states.

but I get stat holidays paid for but that's it.

no sick days, no yom tov days.

if I don't work, I don't get paid. that's they way it is here if your part time.

I don't like it at all, but it's my choice to work part time.

I do get 4% vacation pay added to every paycheck.

Perfect. I live and work in Canada. Disregard NY laws. Why did you say you got a W2?

4% on your check is your vacation pay. That's acceptable. That's the equivalent of 2 weeks paid vacation.

You get your stat holidays.

What you are missing is sick days and yom tov - and you are saying that the salaried employees got those, but don't have the same flexibility as you do regarding which hours to work. Seems like you have a choice to make. I don't think its common for employees who clock in and out at will to get sick days and other personal days, paid.

If you are in Ontario - read up on the new laws - you may be able to get 2 sick days.

babysmum

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 11:52 am
Amother jade you are not responding to op. Ok is amother teal. You are responding to amother cornflakes. Just pointing out don't have anything to add.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 12:22 pm
babysmum wrote:
Amother jade you are not responding to op. Ok is amother teal. You are responding to amother cornflakes. Just pointing out don't have anything to add.

Thank-you totally missed that!!! (and I love your typo/auto-correct. cornflakes for cornflower).

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 7:41 pm
Op, have you crunched the numbers? I was working part time by the hour, and next year am working salary, but even with paid vacation and Yom Tovim, salary comes out to be less per hour. You should know all the numbers before speaking to your employer.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:00 pm
lavenderchimes wrote:
Op, have you crunched the numbers? I was working part time by the hour, and next year am working salary, but even with paid vacation and Yom Tovim, salary comes out to be less per hour. You should know all the numbers before speaking to your employer.

How did they figure out a salary? Did they take your hourly rate times your hours usually work? I think I'm missing this part.

I know my coworker is getting her hourly rate she used to make times the hours she is supposed to work. She got paid legal holidays, pesach, succos, sick days...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics