Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Welch's Grape Juice
1  2  Next

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 10:31 pm
What is the kashrus status of Welch's grape juice? I saw that Target sells them for a better price than Kedem, but I wasn't sure if I could use it or not.

Anyone have any info?

Is there a reference guide for a brand's kosher status?

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 10:42 pm
I have seen specially marked packages with "manishevitz" (spelling?) Next to the name Welch's. Those have a hechsher- havent seen any hechsher on the regular type.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 10:56 pm
amother wrote:
What is the kashrus status of Welch's grape juice? I saw that Target sells them for a better price than Kedem, but I wasn't sure if I could use it or not.

Anyone have any info?

Is there a reference guide for a brand's kosher status?

Like the other poster said there is a special run by Manishewitz. The one sold in Target is most likely not part of that run and is probably not kosher .
In the kosher grocery the Welch's with the special run is the cheapest grape juice.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:23 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Like the other poster said there is a special run by Manishewitz. The one sold in Target is most likely not part of that run and is probably not kosher .
In the kosher grocery the Welch's with the special run is the cheapest grape juice.

Some would say the kashrus of Manischewitz is not acceptable. This is an aylor question.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:32 pm
amother wrote:
Some would say the kashrus of Manischewitz is not acceptable. This is an aylor question.

Manischewitz does not have their own kashrus. If you rely on ou for grape products, this is no different.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:36 pm
amother wrote:
Manischewitz does not have their own kashrus. If you rely on ou for grape products, this is no different.

AYLOR. Ours holds Manischewitz is assur.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:45 pm
amother wrote:
AYLOR. Ours holds Manischewitz is assur.

My LOR is fine with Welch's, as well as other manischewitz products. I'm trying to figure out what you mean though. How can a brand be assur? Do you not eat grape products with an ou hashgacha? Do you eat other manischewitz products aside from grape juice? What's unique about this brand?

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:51 pm
amother wrote:
My LOR is fine with Welch's, as well as other manischewitz products. I'm trying to figure out what you mean though. How can a brand be assur? Do you not eat grape products with an ou hashgacha? Do you eat other manischewitz products aside from grape juice? What's unique about this brand?

I felt bad even saying AYLOR, but I felt it is important. I rather not say the reasons I have been told.

I don't eat anything from Manischewitz, and neither does anyone in my circles.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 12:04 am
amother wrote:
I felt bad even saying AYLOR, but I felt it is important. I rather not say the reasons I have been told.

I don't eat anything from Manischewitz, and neither does anyone in my circles.

What if it's so important why can't you share the reason?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 12:12 am
amother wrote:

Its not just OU

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/0......html

Rabbi Shmuel Teitelbaum, whose rabbinical court, Minchas Chinuch Tartikov, certified Welch’s, said that in September some 20 rabbis ventured to a factory in Westfield, N.Y., outside Buffalo, and monitored the grapes for a week.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 12:18 am
amother wrote:
What if it's so important why can't you share the reason?

Because I am not a rav. I may not explain the reasoning correctly, and someone would go ahead and eat it.

I don't eat in anyone's house that serves this brand. This brand is not sold in frum grocery stores that I would shop in.

You can ask your rav why they are considered unreliable in some circles.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 12:28 am
amother wrote:
Because I am not a rav. I may not explain the reasoning correctly, and someone would go ahead and eat it.

I don't eat in anyone's house that serves this brand. This brand is not sold in frum grocery stores that I would shop in.

You can ask your rav why they are considered unreliable in some circles.
''

anyone who is asking - is already eating it. Nothing will change.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 12:32 am
amother wrote:
''

anyone who is asking - is already eating it. Nothing will change.

Then why do you care that why others are more stringent?

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 7:55 am
amother wrote:

I'm not the one you quoted. But it certainly is interesting to me to understand more about this. It's the first time I've been told that someone wouldn't eat in my house because I own a particular brand of food, that is ou certified. I'm not offended, just genuinely curious to know the reason.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 7:58 am
amother wrote:

It has a hechsher from Tartikov. I just checked the bottle .

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:00 am
The kosher one has a big huge OU on it. My friend is one of the mashgichim who work at the “grape crush” in Washington state each year.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:07 am
watergirl wrote:
The kosher one has a big huge OU on it. My friend is one of the mashgichim who work at the “grape crush” in Washington state each year.

The one I have that has the Manishewitz label has two hechsherim. The big OU and a separate hechsher from Tartikov. This is the one that has been a special run and the one that I use.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:11 am
thunderstorm wrote:
The one I have that has the Manishewitz label has two hechsherim. The big OU and a separate hechsher from Tartikov. This is the one that has been a special run and the one that I use.

Right, all of the kosher run bottles have both.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:18 am
amother wrote:

This isn't a religion of secrets. Inquiring minds want to be educated.

As I mentioned earlier - there are two hechshers now on the kosher Welshes. Did that affect the psak regarding its use?

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:23 am
amother wrote:
This isn't a religion of secrets. Inquiring minds want to be educated.

As I mentioned earlier - there are two hechshers now on the kosher Welshes. Did that affect the psak regarding its use?

Cerise doesn't seem to be talking about Welch's specifically. She said the manischewitz brand itself is considered assur to her. Plenty of manischewitz products have heimish hashgacha on top of the ou, to my knowledge.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen