Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Crash course what going on with immigration?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 10:28 pm
Jeanette wrote:
You sound exactly like Trump. I'm sure your middos are as admirable as his. (You should take that as a compliment! )

That's really nasty! Typical of you to make an ad hominem attack on a poster when she is discussing policy.

I rather have the poster's midos and analytical ability than yours.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 10:29 pm
Well we can't have 'American values' without Americans who will pay for them. Oh those property taxes - paying for illegals and Chasidim alike. (see other property tax threads)

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 10:44 pm
amother wrote:
Well we can't have 'American values' without Americans who will pay for them. Oh those property taxes - paying for illegals and Chasidim alike. (see other property tax threads)

We had a budget vote in East Ramapo on school taxes today. I believe Chassidim as a group pay more school taxes than they receive in local services in schools. This may not have been the case earlier on when it was relatively easy to get property tax exempt. Certainly, in my neighborhood, the chassidim are contributing more than they get.

The illegal immigrant children are swelling the cost of educating public school children in my district. They are a huge reason the schools are underperforming rather than funding. I would rather see my tax dollars targeting needy American children rather than being diluted by having a sanctuary city in our district.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 10:53 pm
Squishy wrote:
We had a budget vote in East Ramapo on school taxes today. I believe Chassidim as a group pay more school taxes than they receive in local services in schools. This may not have been the case earlier on when it was relatively easy to get property tax exempt. Certainly, in my neighborhood, the chassidim are contributing less than they get.

The illegal immigrant children are swelling the cost of educating public school children in my district. They are a huge reason the schools are underperforming rather than funding. I would rather see my tax dollars targeting needy American children rather than being diluted by having a sanctuary city in our district.

Of course - and you have the right to your preferences. Of course there are solutions to your property tax problems.

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:19 pm
amother wrote:
Of course - and you have the right to your preferences. Of course there are solutions to your property tax problems.

Tangerine,

We are all entitled to our preferences even cowardly amothers.

squishy wrote:
I would rather see my tax dollars targeting needy American children rather than being diluted by having a sanctuary city in our district.

Please explain how concentrating tax dollars on needy Americans rather than diluting them to educate illegal aliens causes any net changes to my property tax. It is a zero sum solution.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:28 pm
Squishy wrote:
Please explain how concentrating tax dollars on needy Americans rather than diluting them to educate illegal aliens causes any net changes to my property tax. It is a zero sum solution.

When you start calling people 'stupid' - I feel I have the right to be anon.

You can cause a net change to your property taxes by moving to a place with a lower mill rate.

sushilover

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 11:44 pm
Hatemywig wrote:
The real test will be when the laws are brought to congress in order to avoid such situations.

Will the Democrats vote for them or not?

Chuck schumer rejected McConnell's call for bipartisan legislation.

Fox

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 12:39 am
sushilover wrote:
Chuck schumer rejected McConnell's call for bipartisan legislation.

Including legislation to which Schumer himself contributed provisions . . .

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 12:57 am
amother wrote:

You can cause a net change to your property taxes by moving to a place with a lower mill rate.

I didn't call anyone stupid. It is a phrase originated by James Carville who was Presdent Clinton's campaign strategist. It was coined to keep the focus on the economy. (I did question the intellectual ability of a libral, but that was in response to said liberal's personal attack on a smart poster.)

You suggestion of moving is not on point of this discussion. I can afford my taxes BH.

My post about property tax was in response to saying that immigrant families will pay for the needs of immigrant children. The illegal immigrant children who entered as part of catch and release years ago are still here taking away from American children. There is not infinite resources to cover the needs of citizens and illegal aliens.

My school district is in dire shape largely because of the burden of educating these children. Why should they be on the backs of the local taxpayers? Shouldn't the burden be more fairly distributed?

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 1:21 am
Squishy wrote:
I didn't call anyone stupid. It is a phrase originated by James Carville who was Presdent Clinton's campaign strategist. It was coined to keep the focus on the economy. (I did question the intellectual ability of a libral, but that was in response to said liberal's personal attack on a smart poster.)

You suggestion of moving is not on point of this discussion. I can afford my taxes BH.

My post about property tax was in response to saying that immigrant families will pay for the needs of immigrant children. The illegal immigrant children who entered as part of catch and release years ago are still here taking away from American children. There is not infinite resources to cover the needs of citizens and illegal aliens.

My school district is in dire shape largely because of the burden of educating these children. Why should they be on the backs of the local taxpayers? Shouldn't the burden be more fairly distributed?

I don't care who you are quoting. You choose a quote with word stupid and directed it at a poster. It wasn't an accident.

You raised your property taxes - so they entered the discussion. Thank you for explaining why you did because I didn't follow your train of thought... to be specific you were responding to "Letting families take care of their own children" - which you actually seem to agree with. If you moved to an area that didn't hold itself out to be a sanctuary city - you'd find yourself in a place where your property tax dollars were not going to support illegal immigrant children.. this isn't difficult. You disagree with the local politics - move.

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 2:23 am
amother wrote:
I don't care who you are quoting. You choose a quote with word stupid and directed it at a poster. It wasn't an accident.

You raised your property taxes - so they entered the discussion. Thank you for explaining why you did because I didn't follow your train of thought... to be specific you were responding to "Letting families take care of their own children" - which you actually seem to agree with. If you moved to an area that didn't hold itself out to be a sanctuary city - you'd find yourself in a place where your property tax dollars were not going to support illegal immigrant children.. this isn't difficult. You disagree with the local politics - move.

Again, I used a famous quote to emphasize that the economy is the important issue. The stupid part is the attention getting part which is why it is famous. If you understood the context it is used in, it wouldn't go over your head yet again.

Do you move when you disagree with local politics? Your suggestion is ludicrous.

And I don't believe American citizens should not have help taking care of their children. I don't feel a moral obligation to support illegal foreigners.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 2:52 am
Squishy wrote:

And I don't believe American citizens should not have help taking care of their children. I don't feel a moral obligation to support illegal foreigners.

I'm just going to point out it was not so long ago when we were the illegal foreigners. After 1921/1924 once laws were passed specifically targeted to stifle Jewish immigration from Eastern and Southern Europe, many Jews illegally came to live in the US through smugglers, forged papers, sneaking onto ships, etc.

For those who made it, we can say BH no one treated those immigrants the way illegals are treated now.

And don't y'all go denying that everyone you know has at least one grandparent who lied about their age/had fake names/false documents/some crazy story to get to US(all of which would make them illegal).

This is just to put our morals into perspective...

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 6:01 am
amother wrote:
I'm just going to point out it was not so long ago when we were the illegal foreigners. After 1921/1924 once laws were passed specifically targeted to stifle Jewish immigration from Eastern and Southern Europe, many Jews illegally came to live in the US through smugglers, forged papers, sneaking onto ships, etc.

For those who made it, we can say BH no one treated those immigrants the way illegals are treated now.

And don't y'all go denying that everyone you know has at least one grandparent who lied about their age/had fake names/false documents/some crazy story to get to US(all of which would make them illegal).

I don't have one grandparent who lied about their age/had fake names/false documents/some crazy story to get to US(all of which would make them illegal).

You need to learn your history. There were millions of Jews who came here legally.

The illegal immigrants today have it great compared to the immigrants in the first half of the 1900s. No one was supporting our ancestors. Today we shell out over $8000 to each illegal immigrant family yearly or a total of$115,894,597,664 . That $8000 would have been about $590 in 1925 when bread was $0.10 a loaf.

unexpected

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 7:27 am
amother wrote:

I do not have one grandparent/great grandparent who came in illegally, nor any who went on welfare. Or any who didn’t pay taxes. This is true for the majority of us. When our grandparents were coming in, immigration was very strict and welfare was considered extremely shameful. Also, it was the practice then to separate children from parents who were bedridden or caring for a sick child, and put them in orphanages. My grandmother, my father in law, my uncle all spent a year or more in an orphanage as a child and none of them seem any the worse for wear. They were separated from siblings, forced to drink “castor oil” cared for as babies in understaffed, overcrowded conditions.
These were children of holocaust survivors who were grateful that their children were being taken care of, not screaming that it was another holocaust...

Jeanette

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 7:43 am
unexpected wrote:
I do not have one grandparent/great grandparent who came in illegally, nor any who went on welfare. Or any who didn’t pay taxes. This is true for the majority of us. When our grandparents were coming in, immigration was very strict and welfare was considered extremely shameful. Also, it was the practice then to separate children from parents who were bedridden or caring for a sick child, and put them in orphanages. My grandmother, my father in law, my uncle all spent a year or more in an orphanage as a child and none of them seem any the worse for wear. They were separated from siblings, forced to drink “castor oil” cared for as babies in understaffed, overcrowded conditions.
These were children of holocaust survivors who were grateful that their children were being taken care of, not screaming that it was another holocaust...

well goody-toots for you!

I don't know where you grew up but I grew up hearing stories where the smugglers and forgers were heroes. They risked their lives saving Jews. In many cases they were tortured and killed for their work. I'm sure many readers can come forth with their own stories.

BH your relatives weren't harmed by being raised in orphanages. but many years of research has shown that the vast majority of children do suffer long-lasting psychological damage by being separated from their main caregivers long term with no idea if they'll ever see them again. Even if they're given basic food and shelter. That's why the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Psychological Association and many other medical groups have come out strongly against the practice and declared it an emergency.

Jeanette

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:01 am
amother wrote:

Dear mother Tangerine:

You don't need to go anon. I encourage everyone who is on the right side of this issue to post under their own names. you have nothing to be ashamed of. so they'll call you stupid. they'll call you a lib. Big internet warriors. who cares? their views reflect more on them than on you.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:47 am
Squishy wrote:
Again, I used a famous quote to emphasize that the economy is the important issue. The stupid part is the attention getting part which is why it is famous. If you understood the context it is used in, it wouldn't go over your head yet again.

Do you move when you disagree with local politics? Your suggestion is ludicrous.

And there goes the personal insult. (the context of that quote was a internal slogan used to keep Clinton on his message - it had nothing to do with the poster you were talking to.)

If I was so upset about the way my tax dollars were being spent as you seem to be -sure I'd move. I'm not. I don't think your issue your tax dollars. (as an aside, the revenue for your county is made up of a considerable amount of sales tax receipts - despite your stats as to how much money is going offshore, everyone in your county contributes to the sales tax pool).

I appreciate the clarity of your final statement here.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 9:26 am
Years ago, if a child lost even one parent, he or she was often placed in a orphanage but visited by the surviving parent. The same was true if a mother was too ill to care for her children. How these kids fared emotionally probably depended on the age at which they were placed and if they were suddenly taken or if there was some preparation and some contact with living family members. Not all orphans were completely bereft of any family members. Not all children who were hidden during the Holocaust emerged emotionally unscathed either.

Years ago sick children were put in hospitals and only allowed a few hours a week of family visitation from their parents and eventually doctors and nurses realized the harm that this caused.

The pediatricians in the case of the immigrant children now, feel that these children will be emotionally damaged because they were snatched without any preparation and without any contact with family and denied comforting due to the fear of lawsuits against those who are caring for the children.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 9:38 am
amother wrote:

The phrase "it's the economy stupid!" was coined during Clinton's presidential campaign, and has become an popular catchphrase in the American lexicon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....tupid

Quote:
The phrase has become a snowclone repeated often in American political culture, usually starting with the word "it's" and with commentators sometimes using a different word in place of "economy." Examples include "It's the deficit, stupid!"[4] "It's the corporation, stupid!"[5] "It's the math, stupid!"[6] and "It's the voters, stupid!".[7]

Using it does not mean you are calling the other person stupid.

But kudos for manufacturing fake outrage in a thread inspired by fake outrage. This thread is becoming a parody of itself.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 9:48 am
DrMom wrote:
Using it does not mean you are calling the other person stupid.

But kudos for manufacturing fake outrage in a thread inspired by fake outrage. This thread is becoming a parody of itself.

I don't know that it is fake outrage or fake concern. It is uniting factions who usually are not united and hopefully, if people could get together over concern for children who are not our citizens, they could realize that we need to show even more concern for the plight of poor children who are our citizens.

Many of our own citizens are children who languish in foster care and in asylums for children who have been removed from their families. Many will never be adopted or have 'forever' families. Many will grow up in seedy neighborhoods with failing schools and drugs and violence everywhere and will be just as damaged as the immigrant children who are snatched from their mother's breasts.

Maybe when this is all settled, and those approximately 2000 separated tykes are on their way back home with their parents, we will remember the American kids who need care and help.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics