Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
NYC to Orlando by car- help us plan our trip

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:01 pm
The plan is for DS to drive me . I need to be there Monday July 16 @ 8 am, for an appointment. We're thinking to leave on Friday July 13. Drive 8 hours. Rest on Shabbis. Drive another 8 hours on Sunday.
Is this a sensible plan? We could leave on Thursday July 12 if need be.

He's been driving for less than a year, commutes daily bet Manhattan and Brooklyn, so has highway experience. Has also done a few distance trips to CT. But never to Orlando.

Thanks for any helpful tips, including tips for avoiding back-aches. And tips for clean pet-free places to spend the night en-route.
Bonus points for a dairy farm where we can get fresh goat's milk :-) and WWOOF places he can check out.

We'd also like to look around for a remote spot for potential purchase as a vacation home. (For less than $20k. Somewhere in the mountains of North Carolina would be ideal)

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:10 pm
It's a lot of driving even for an experienced driver. Also, it will take more than 16 hours of driving. Give yourself a lot of leeway getting to your shabbos destination, Fri afternoon traffic can be bad. Good luck. I've done the drive and wouldn't repeat it unless there was really no alternative. But I'm not great in the car.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:31 pm
For backaches-stop every 3 hours (either way you need to fill up gas/bathroom etc)
Keep in mind that every rest stop takes approximately 30 min (filling the gas tank, going to the bathroom, picking up some snacks from the store, and getting back on to the highway...)
As far as a place to spend the night the best advice I could give you is to make sure you stay in an area that's not gross. Gross neighborhood=gross hotels.
Keeping that in mind stick with popular name motels.. best western.. Days inn... And check reviews online before you book. But if you're staying over shabbos go for a Sheraton or Hilton or the like.

The drive itself wasn't bad at all, it's very easy driving--straight down most of the way.
I like to pack a small travel bag with one pair of clothes /pajamas/ toiletries this way I don't have to rummage through a whole suitcase for one night.

If you're traveling without kids, look into the scenic route - it's supposed to take longer but it's supposed to be beautiful.

It's a very pleasant drive, the last 3 hours are the hardest, but nothing terrible! Completely worth it if you ask us!hatzlocha raba and enjoy it!!

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:42 pm
I've done the drive to South Florida quiet a few times, I love driving though.
I don't mind 10-12 hours of driving a day, not everyone can handle though.
We do stop often so we don't get tired.
We bring plenty of food and entertainment along.
The only way I'd drive so much on a Friday is if we left 4 or 5 am, you can probably make t to Richmond for shabbos
Or leave Thursday and stop in Georgia or Jacksonville for Shabbos

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 9:03 pm
Thanks for your helpful tips so far. As I'm reading your replies I'm thinking we might be better off leaving on Thursday.

Btw, No kids. Just (adult) ds and I.

Is it sensible to stay the nights at Airbnb?

doctorima

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 12:19 am
You can stay in AirBNBs if you like, but if it's just for a quick overnight, I wouldn't spent too much $ on them. Another vote to leave Thursday, as your original plan sounds unrealistically rushed and doesn't have enough buffer built in for traffic, delays, stops, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics