Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
2 New Frum Magazines with Pics of Women!

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 1:56 pm
The lack of women's and girls' pics in frum magazines (and even worse, the blurred faces pics) is a pet peeve of mine, so I was delighted to discover that there are a few magazines starting up that do print these pics:

A kids' magazine, Tmunah Jr, started online as pdf downloads, now in print:
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref.....LCOBJ

And a new monthly women's digest, Nashim Magazine, for now online only:
https://www.nashimmagazine.com/
(Truth in advertising: I have taken out an ad for my business in Nashim's next issue to support this fledgling publication but I have no connection to it)

InnerMe

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 4:17 pm
Wow, this is very good news! Applause Applause Applause

Is the women's magazine coming out in print too?

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 4:41 pm
I'm genuinely curious why having no pictures of women bothers you so much. It has never bothered me for one minute.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 4:46 pm
InnerMe wrote:
Wow, this is very good news! Applause Applause Applause

Is the women's magazine coming out in print too?

According to their website they hope to "eventually get... to print!"

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 4:48 pm
Love them.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 5:04 pm
amother wrote:
I'm genuinely curious why having no pictures of women bothers you so much. It has never bothered me for one minute.

This has been discussed on many threads already. Search for the topic and you’ll hsge plenty to read?

icebreaker

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 5:10 pm
Awesome!

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 5:32 pm
amother wrote:

• It makes many women feel like non-entities, like we don't exist. The even worse practice of blurring faces while leaving the bodies alone sexualizes girls — the very opposite of what it's intended to accomplish. What kind of message are we trying to send to our daughters — and to our sons?

• We (and our daughters and sons and husbands) see gorgeous zexy non-Jewish (or non-frum) women on the covers of the magazines on display at the local pharmacy while frum women don't exist in publications where their tzanua pictures could present good role models.

• The no-women-pics policy in magazines targeted to frum women is particularly appalling — a man who can't handle it shouldn't be reading them in the first place.

• When I read a biographical article I like to see a pic of the person, male or female. it gives me a better sense of them.

• I also view this as creeping radicalism: I-Am-Frummer-Than-Thou syndrome. This was not normative practice even a few decades ago — the Agudah-sponsored Jewish Observer (now defunct) did print pictures of women.

Laiya

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:35 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
The lack of women's and girls' pics in frum magazines (and even worse, the blurred faces pics) is a pet peeve of mine, so I was delighted to discover that there are a few magazines starting up that do print these pics:

A kids' magazine, Tmunah Jr, started online as pdf downloads, now in print:
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref.....ZLCOB
And a new monthly women's digest, Nashim Magazine, for now online only:
https://www.nashimmagazine.com/
(Truth in advertising: I have taken out an ad for my business in Nashim's next issue to support this fledgling publication but I have no connection to it)

Thumbs Up

Also, readers who enjoy the magazines, please show your love with an amazon review. Reviews give products a feeling of authenticity and encourage sales, and are also very helpful for search rankings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room