Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
S/O-information about google landline/OBI please

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:47 pm
The other thread brought up the google landline idea. Whoever has this, can you please explain if its actually easy to install, use etc? Are there any drawbacks?
We dont have a landline but we would like one only for our kids to feel like they can use the phone.

When I did a quick but of research on the obi (?) It made it seem like the phone that you use needs to be plugged into the router. Is that true? Our router is all the way in the basement...

Thanks in advance!

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 9:11 pm
Also, is it possible to use more than one phone?

momX4

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 9:15 pm
You can buy phones that have a few handsets only the base needs to be plugged into the obi. The others just get plugged into electric outlets.

You don't need to have an answering machine. With obi all your voice messages are send as emails to your Google account.

I had a friend set it up originally. You need to Port a number. Dansdeals has a clear write up.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 9:17 pm
Please note that
Quote:
Possibly the largest downfall of relying on Google Voice to supplement your primary phone line is the inability to make direct emergency calls to 9-1-1. If you decide to substitute a phone provider and port your number over to Google Voice, you will have to work out an alternative to making emergency calls. As stated in the Google Voice Terms of Service:

Google Voice ToS

One work around, if you did not port your number, is to make an emergency call without dialing an area code. Google Voice will not make calls with only a seven-digit number, and will bypass the Google Voice app to call directly from your phone. However, if you did port your number, you will have to access an alternative method of making emergency calls. More about 911/E911 and VoIP here.

harriet

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 9:54 pm
I switched from a landline to googlevoice (OBI). I use the exact same phone (with an answering machine and multiple handsets) that I used when it was a landline and yes, the "main one" is plugged into the router.

It was a little frustrating to set it up, something kept not working to connect (I don't remember exactly what it was) and I kept trying and trying... finally, after several hours of frustration, I contacted OBI tech support and they helped me figure it out in around five minutes and we lived happily ever after.

The service seems the same as when I had my landline except I no longer have a monthly bill (and yes, if/when my Internet would go down I'd be in trouble, and there's also the not being able to call 911 issue)...

Wish I had done it years earlier!

little neshamala

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 12:30 am
Thank you all very much!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars