Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Political pressure works!
Previous  1  2  3  4

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 6:31 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
or ....

There are limits on the time that children can spend in immigration-related detention. Prior administrations have dealt with this by releasing parents with children, sometimes with an ankle bracelet. It may be that this was a ploy to allow children to be detained indefinitely with their parents.

I tend to give Trump lots of credit for Machiavellian machinations.

and then re-separated

Jeanette

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 6:33 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Good luck with that one. Some of these kids are in NY, others are in MI and these agencies can't locate the parents.

Then, if they sit too long in detention as a family unit, the law is that they be separated, so they could end up back in the same situation.

Possibly nothing has changed. Log on to slate.com. I normally hate slate because I am a conservative but I like to know what is happening on both sides of the fence.

https://slate.com/news-and-pol......html

Thank you for considering both sides of an issue.

Thank you for your caring heart.

(I mean that.)

I don't always agree with your views but at least I don't find them dispiriting and depressing.

Laiya

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 6:34 pm
The true story behind the Singapore summit is US economic pressure, or threat of it, on China.

Trump, and his diplomacy, gets at least some of the credit for that.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 8:53 pm
NovelConcept wrote:
Trump has his issues, like any human being.

But I still think he is the best thing to ever happen to this country.

He is the first one that is making real change.

He is klal Yisroel's best friend. He has lowered the unemployment rate. He is working to stop the massive outsourcing to China that has caused us to lose so many jobs. He is really, truly concerned with preventing terrorism. He is creating bonds with countries that have always hated us. He lowering the risk of nuclear threat. He is defunding countries that seek to destroy the free world.

The broader picture of what he is achieving is astounding.

I think that positive things have been happening, no question. And he has chosen people who have clarity - David Friedman, John Bolton, Nikki Haley. But we have to be really careful. Respectful, grateful, hopeful but always remembering al tivtechu b'nidivim.

Purple2

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 9:13 pm
Obviously we have to remember al tivtachu, but also important to show hakaras Hatov for all Trumps efforts and his backing the right people.
It astounds me how frum Jews can be such kefuyai tov, and so blind.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 9:16 pm
camp wrote:
Obviously we have to remember al tivtachu, but also important to show hakaras Hatov for all Trumps efforts and his backing the right people.

No question. We just mustn't go overboard.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 9:17 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
No question. We just mustn't go overboard.

PF, we have a long way to go before we go overboard LOL .

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 9:28 pm
camp wrote:

I agree that we have a lot to be grateful for and happy about but he has no history as a politician and some of the things that he wants to do, such as tariffs, have failed in the past so even with all of the gratitude, we can't help but be skeptical about some of his ideas.

It also seems like we have a less tolerant society and that may or may not affect the Jews.

sushilover

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 10:31 am
Fox wrote:

I didn't say there were "no protests" by anyone. I said that the media ignored the issue.

This is why I voted for Trump. Although I despise many things about him, I am more fearful of a president who is never held accountable.

Here's some news about allegations of horrific abuse immigrants suffered under Obama
https://apnews.com/afc80e51b56.....24e79
I've been seeing tweets by journalists claiming that the abuses are current. Why? Because no one would care if they happened under Obama's watch. After all, it would be gauche to be outraged about "scandal free Obama"!

I have some in laws who voted for Clinton because Trump seemed too volatile for their liking. Congrats Media! Y'all just made them say they will vote for Trump 2020. They realized that there was no way the outcry would be this great if a Democrat had been in power.

sushilover

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 11:39 am
sushilover wrote:
This is why I voted for Trump. Although I despise many things about him, I am more fearful of a president who is never held accountable.

Here's some news about allegations of horrific abuse immigrants suffered under Obama
https://apnews.com/afc80e51b56.....24e79

That's the number of paragraphs you have to read into this story before being informed this was the Obama-era (2015-2016).

That's the number of times Trump is mentioned.

That's the number of times Obama is mentioned.

https://twitter.com/lyndseyfif.....65377

Political pressure is only applied to specific administrations. If you are a fan of political pressure, you should be thrilled that Trump is president.

Fox

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 11:59 am
sushilover wrote:
I have some in laws who voted for Clinton because Trump seemed too volatile for their liking. Congrats Media! Y'all just made them say they will vote for Trump 2020. They realized that there was no way the outcry would be this great if a Democrat had been in power.

I'm regarded around here as a rather avid Trump supporter, but at the start of 2016, I was more of an anti-Clinton voter. I was concerned that Trump wouldn't have the political capital to get anything done in Washington and that the bureaucracy ("Deep State") would simply shut him down.

I pointed out anecdotal observations during the campaign that made me believe Trump could make significant inroads on the African-American vote and the gay vote. Well, I could hear the laughter from all the way to Chicago. What a silly Fox! Trump is a racist homophobe! You're just delusional!

Trump got higher shares of AA and LGBT votes than any recent Republican candidate, so I thought my instincts had been generally good. But, of course, the Democrats still locked in a huge majority of those voters.

Well, here we are in 2018!

Trump's popularity in the AA community has indeed increased, and his vocal supporters have multiplied. Social media is filled with referenced to becoming "red-pilled" and "leaving the Democratic plantation." Essays in independent outlets like Quillette urge blacks to think carefully about whether the Democratic Party today really represents their values. Candace Owens, whatever her faults, is building her Kanye endorsement into a formidable following.

Once Chadwick Moore started things rolling with his NYP piece, the essays and op-eds about "coming out as conservative" have been non-stop. They've become repetitive and confessional: "I was never seriously rejected because I was gay, but my family barely speaks to me and my friends cut me off when I revealed I support Trump. Plus, the people they always told me were bigots have been nothing but pleasant. They'll make sure to recommend a good bakery even if they don't want to bake me a cake themselves."

It's not necessarily that individuals believe that Republicans have all the answers, always. Rather, they feel that they've been lied to by the Democrats who simply wanted votes and power.

The latest is the #WalkAway campaign, the video for which pretty much says it all:

Laiya

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 3:31 pm
Squishy wrote:
It isn't clear yet who caved.

Trump is brilliant strategist.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/20/.....licy/

So he signed an order that directly violates standing precedent.

Inevitably, it will be struck down in court, leaving the only other option...legislative action, which is what he had been urging congress to begin with. And then, he will not be the one who appears to be obstructionist.

anon for this

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 7:12 am
Fox wrote:
Trump got higher shares of AA and LGBT votes than any recent Republican candidate, so I thought my instincts had been generally good. But, of course, the Democrats still locked in a huge majority of those voters.

You're sort of right about AA voters, if by "recent" Republican candidates you mean "candidates who ran against Obama". Trump received 8% of the AA vote, compared to 6% for Romney in 2012. But he did worse than Bush, who received 11% of the AA vote in 2004.

And what you said about LGBT voters isn't true. Trump received 14% of the LGBT vote, about half the share of McCain, who got 27% in 2008, and did worse than Romney, who got 22% of the LGBT vote. To be fair, this might have had more to do with Mike Pence than with Trump.

In googling sources for this post, I was surprised to learn that the Log Cabin Republicans are still a thing.

Jeanette

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 8:13 am
anon for this wrote:
You're sort of right about AA voters, if by "recent" Republican candidates you mean "candidates who ran against Obama". Trump received 8% of the AA vote, compared to 6% for Romney in 2012. But he did worse than Bush, who received 11% of the AA vote in 2004.

And what you said about LGBT voters isn't true. Trump received 14% of the LGBT vote, about half the share of McCain, who got 27% in 2008, and did worse than Romney, who got 22% of the LGBT vote. To be fair, this might have had more to do with Mike Pence than with Trump.

In googling sources for this post, I was surprised to learn that the Log Cabin Republicans are still a thing.

It's right out of the Trump playbook. Make a ludicrous and easily fact-checked claim. Keep repeating it over and over. Relish in all the protestations. Move on to another issue. Rinse, repeat. The minions will follow right along. Brilliant strategist indeed.

anon for this

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 8:47 am
Jeanette wrote:
It's right out of the Trump playbook. Make a ludicrous and easily fact-checked claim. Keep repeating it over and over. Relish in all the protestations. Move on to another issue. Rinse, repeat. The minions will follow right along. Brilliant strategist indeed.

Also, whenever the media tries to fact-check you, call them "Fake News". Or, if the media incorrectly reports some details, use this to claim that everything they say is wrong. Hire a press secretary who flat out lies. If someone calls her out on it, accuse them of insulting women. Create confusion by having different spokespeople and representatives of the administration peddle contradictory stories (to be fair, the last one may not always be intentional).

It's like someone watched old episodes of the Colbert Report and saw it not as satire but as a manual.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics