Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help me plan our Boston vacation!
1  2  Next

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 12:13 pm
We're staying near the airport... leaving the kids at home (yay!) We have 2 days to explore the area.

what to do about kosher food? Anything nearby?

I heard parking/traffic is bad, so we probably won't rent a car. Is public transportation a good option? Or should we stick with uber?

And the main question.... what is a must see? There seems to be sooo much to do!

Teomima

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 12:26 pm
Boston is a great city! Public transportation is excellent, and much of the city is very walkable. As for what to see, it depends on your interests. Personally I love the MFA but I know not everyone is into art/museums. There's lots of fun touristy stuff (trolley tours, Duck Tours), lots of fun attractions (the Aquarium, the Science Museum), lots of historic sites (basically the whole city), harbor cruises and whale watches, live musical performances by the Charles River, shopping, sports (Fenway Park!)...sorry, I get carried away, I love Boston Smile Enjoy!

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 12:31 pm
(Are you able to stay closer to
The downtown area? Why near the airport?)

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 12:43 pm
We are coming in late at night, and have an early morning flight home!

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 1:29 pm
...and how far away from the airport is the jewish area?

doctorima

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 1:29 pm
Teomima summed up the activities well. Walking by the Charles is beautiful, and walking around Harvard Square (and the adjacent campus) is nice. There's a cool museum at MIT called the MIT Museum (used to be free Sunday mornings). You're not far from Lexington and Concord (start of the Revolutionary War) and Walden's Pond, if any of those interest you.

Boston has a path called the Freedom Trail that covers the historical highlights, and there's also a relatively-new boat where they react the Boston Tea Party. There are several kosher options, most of which are on a street called Harvard Street in Brookline (near Coolidge Corner). No need to rent a car; bus and T (subway) are great, with Uber as an option if it will require multiple transfers. Another vote to stay closer to activities and not waste time in traffic commuting to/from the airport each day.

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 4:46 pm
doctorima wrote:
Teomima summed up the activities well. Walking by the Charles is beautiful, and walking around Harvard Square (and the adjacent campus) is nice. There's a cool museum at MIT called the MIT Museum (used to be free Sunday mornings). You're not far from Lexington and Concord (start of the Revolutionary War) and Walden's Pond, if any of those interest you.

Boston has a path called the Freedom Trail that covers the historical highlights, and there's also a relatively-new boat where they react the Boston Tea Party. There are several kosher options, most of which are on a street called Harvard Street in Brookline (near Coolidge Corner). No need to rent a car; bus and T (subway) are great, with Uber as an option if it will require multiple transfers. Another vote to stay closer to activities and not waste time in traffic commuting to/from the airport each day.

I would add the swan boat, Castle Island, and Faneuil Hall as a great attractions and the Milk Street Cafe as nice place to go to eat during the day.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 5:09 pm
Yes, swan boats are awesome, and Faneuil Hall is full of life. Haven't been to Castle Island. I've heard conflicting opinions about the hashgacha at Milk Street, so check with your LOR in advance if planning to go there.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 5:22 pm
Thanks for all the info! I'm going to look into all the places mentioned!
Can anyone tell me if the area near the airport is safe? I would want to go to a grocery store and the hotel told me that the nearest one is I East Boston?

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 6:06 pm
doctorima wrote:
Yes, swan boats are awesome, and Faneuil Hall is full of life. Haven't been to Castle Island. I've heard conflicting opinions about the hashgacha at Milk Street, so check with your LOR in advance if planning to go there.

Pure cold press is a very healthy and good milchig place. The hechsher there is good.

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 6:29 pm
doctorima wrote:

If you get a chance, go enjoy Castle Island. It is a beautiful walk. They have a nice fort there. It was also easy parking.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jun 20 2018, 6:31 pm
The Butcherie is a kosher grocery/ supermarket that also carries some takeout and deli.

Cafe Eilat is a pizza place and not the cleanest

Taam China is a Chinese restaurant but I'm not sure if they will be open since the owner was recently arrested. ( saw it in the news).

Kupels Bakery also makes great bagel sandwiches.

doctorima

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 12:12 am
Yeah, Taam China was recently discovered to have hidden cameras in the bathrooms (allegedly placed there by the Chinese owner), so open or not, I'd steer clear of that place for now!

mrs me

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 1:09 am
doctorima wrote:
Yeah, Taam China was recently discovered to have hidden cameras in the bathrooms (allegedly placed there by the Chinese owner), so open or not, I'd steer clear of that place for now!

omg I'm freaking out I have definitely used that bathroom shock Not listening

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 9:54 pm
Anyone have experience with finding a good reasonable hotel near the Brookline/Newton area?

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Aug 11 2018, 10:01 pm
Try holiday inn

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 8:17 pm
holiday in now has a new name

elisheva25

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 8:35 pm
Pure cold press
We went w/kids so Children museum . πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ
Mapparium or something like that , google it... it’s like a glass globe exhibit inside a library.
Really great !!

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 8:35 pm
JP Licks has dairy free ice cream if you eat CY. All shops are kosher certified.

We rented bikes and took a tour around the Charles, downtown. It was fun.

At night, theres a tall building where you can look out over all of Boston. It was a nice walk, and we took a bus back to the hotel.

elisheva25

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 8:36 pm
Yes def JP licks for ice cream !!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics