Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Ideas for 5 year old to play by herself

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 3:59 pm
My 5 year old is an only child, and she can play by herself if she has something interesting enough to do. My problem is finding things which are 'interesting enough'. Any ideas? We are in Israel, if that makes a difference in terms of availability of certain things. Thanks!!

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 4:05 pm
Zoob
Marble run

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 4:28 pm
Perler beads, paint, sticker crafts, velvet art, color by number, white board, chalk board, kiddie pool.

chocolatecake

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 4:50 pm
Beaded jewelry popsicle sticks play doh coloring. There are tons of options. Go to a crafts store or toy store or a dollar store

proudmomma

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 5:14 pm
Idk where in Israel you are, but in Yerushalayim there are many shekel stores that have incredible crafts packages that are perfect for a 5 year old to do on her own.
Hatzlocha rabbah!

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 5:25 pm
amother wrote:
Zoob
Marble run

Not OP but I've never heard of either of these

Off to google!

TeachersNotebook

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 8:38 pm
Oh there is so much on the internet! You gotta start Pinteresting! Here are some ideas:
Masking tape/painters tape -
1. Use tape to make a big roadway for cars on the wall or floor
2. Use tape to make a maze that either she has to go through, or she has to blow a marble or a pom pom through
A big roll of butcher paper/craft paper -
3. Trace her body, then let her paint it.
4. Draw a maze for her to go through (zig zag, straight, turn in circles, hop on dots...)
5. Hang it on the wall and let her decorate with stickers or color
6. Hang it low on the wall and let her color it only by holding the pen/marker with her toes
7. Draw a few basic shapes to create a landscape for her to free play (cityscape, jungle, etc) with her other toys and/or with play dough.
Play dough -
8. By itself, no prep necessary Very Happy
9. Print out (and ideally laminate or put in a sheet protector) creative prompts, such as a person or a flower pot, for her to embellish. Search Google for play dough printables.
10. Provide props with the play dough. It could be centered on a theme (play trees and animals) or just random parts (sequins, feathers...)
Currently, magnatiles, dress up, and anything that has to do with coloring holds my daughter's attention for a relatively extended period. She also loves coloring/writing letters to people, and packing them up in envelopes.
Also search Pinterest for quiet time boxes/busy bags.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 8:46 pm
clics, lego, do a dots...

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 10:35 am
Thank you for all the ideas!

Some of these items don't exist here, but a lot are things that do or have alternatives.

I went to 3 different shekel stores and couldn't find anything!

I will definitely try out some of the ideas though.

busy mommy

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 12:41 pm
how about games like rush hour or othello. My daughter loves those!
also does she enjoy reading or even just looking at the pictures of the kids magazines. My daughter likes to cut out differant interesting pictures and make collages. She also likes her spirograph, it can keep her busy for hours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers