Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
G-d runs the world but I fear another recession
1  2  Next

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 4:39 pm
https://www.forbes.com/sites/j.....b69b9

Today's news talked about the possibility of trade wars igniting a recession.

Maya

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 4:45 pm
Fake news. They used a stock photo which doesn’t actually depict the literal coming recession, so the whole article and all of its analyses are false.*

*refer to thread of iconic crying girl photo for sarcasm reference.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 5:20 pm
Canadian fears. https://www.thestar.com/busine......html

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 5:45 pm
southernbubby wrote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnmauldin/2018/03/20/the-next-recession-might-be-worse-than-the-great-depression/#5876569b69b9

Today's news talked about the possibility of trade wars igniting a recession.

There's lots of reasons to fear a recession.

But I suspect that we're at about the same stage of life, so my advice to you is to talk with an investment advisor about ensuring that at least some core of your assets is relatively safe. It hurts like an expletive when things go up and you're flat safe, but there's also a lot of comfort there.

(And I'm more worried about corporate deregulation creating environmental disasters. But that's another post.)

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 5:50 pm
We have a couple of different investment advisers. Some things are safer than others.

Jeanette

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 5:52 pm
we have the bigliest richest most presidential president in history who knows all about trades and money and deals n stuff. we gonna have the yoogest economy in history. MAGA. Fake news.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 5:54 pm
Jeanette wrote:
we have the bigliest richest most presidential president in history who knows all about trades and money and deals n stuff. we gonna have the yoogest economy in history. MAGA. Fake news.

While I agree with you politically, I don't think its fair game for someone who is genuinely concerned about her assets, or her kids' future.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 6:12 pm
Jeanette wrote:

There's no question Trump has been good for the economy. Even Democrats would have to concede that point. However, recessions happen and we haven't had one for awhile and there is inevitably one coming. Decades of low interest rates and printing money will likely take the blame. Unfortunately for Trump, there's a decent chance it'll happen as he's seeking a second term and he will inevitably take the blame for something that's not his fault.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 6:16 pm
amother wrote:
There's no question Trump has been good for the economy. Even Democrats would have to concede that point. However, recessions happen and we haven't had one for awhile and there is inevitably one coming. Decades of low interest rates and printing money will likely take the blame. Unfortunately for Trump, there's a decent chance it'll happen as he's seeking a second term and he will inevitably take the blame for something that's not his fault.

You mean just like Obama was blamed for an economy that was going badly because of Bush-era policies?

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 6:24 pm
amother wrote:

You are ignoring the fact that Trump is upending trade relations with all of our allies.
#BoycottUSA is trending. NAFTA and TPP are dead. The EU, Japan and Canada are forming trade alliances that exclude the USA. He has alienated our largest export market (Canada) in order to gain points with his base. The USA has flourished and blossomed into the world's largest economy because of the power of global trade. By adopting protectionist policies, he is taking a huge risk.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 6:31 pm
amother wrote:
You mean just like Obama was blamed for an economy that was going badly because of Bush-era policies?

I don't remember that. I think Obama came it at the perfect time. Unemployment was high and the stock market was in tatters. We had 8 years of growth under Obama. To keep the economy going, Obama kept interest rates artificially low. He was able to get out of office before the inevitable consequences of that policy devastated the economy.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 6:41 pm
It's a reality to fear...

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 6:43 pm
amother wrote:
I don't remember that. I think Obama came it at the perfect time. Unemployment was high and the stock market was in tatters. We had 8 years of growth under Obama. To keep the economy going, Obama kept interest rates artificially low. He was able to get out of office before the inevitable consequences of that policy devastated the economy.

You said that,
1. Trump has been good for the economy.
or
2. There has been sustained growth due to Obama's policies, which will soon result to an inevitable recession.

Which one is it?

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 6:46 pm
amother wrote:

You don’t remember that, but if Trump is wrongly (rightly) blamed for this recession, I’m sure you’ll remember it for always.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 7:04 pm
amother wrote:
You said that,
1. Trump has been good for the economy.
or
2. There has been sustained growth due to Obama's policies, which will soon result to an inevitable recession.

Which one is it?

We had sustained growth under Obama for 8 years because he kept interest rates low and printed money to no end. Those policies will help in the short term but will have disastrous long term consequences. It's like a drug addict that needs drugs to function and get thru the day. So the choice is either to continue taking drugs which will help today but destroy the body in the long run, or accept difficult treatment today which will be hard now but will save the person's life in the future. As president, Obama (as most politicians) didn't really care about the long term consequences in the future. He wanted to have a functioning economy and get reelected a second term. It was worth it to continue with the disastrous policies and not worry about the future.

Jeanette

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 7:10 pm
The historical revisionism is happening right before our eyes. Trump cannot fail. Whatever good happens is to his credit. Whatever bad happens is due to his predecessors or circumstances beyond his control.

BTW I learned right here on this website that Trump was responsible for stock market rises that occurred even before he took office because of investor confidence at the thought of a Trump presidency. Now we learn that a rising stock market is a bad thing and a sign that the government is just printing money with no thought of tomorrow.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 7:22 pm
Jeanette wrote:
The historical revisionism is happening right before our eyes. Trump cannot fail. Whatever good happens is to his credit. Whatever bad happens is due to his predecessors or circumstances beyond his control.

BTW I learned right here on this website that Trump was responsible for stock market rises that occurred even before he took office because of investor confidence at the thought of a Trump presidency. Now we learn that a rising stock market is a bad thing and a sign that the government is just printing money with no thought of tomorrow.

A rising stock market is not a sign the government is printing money. The government is either printing money or it's not. The national debt went up under Obama to historical levels and at 21 trillion we are way past the point of no return. It seems Trump is committed to normalizing interest rates, and rates are actually rising now. Unfortunately most economists believe that the damage is already done and the economy witch is so used to and dependent on free money will not be able to survive higher rates. This will cause a recession. The first trick the government has in fighting a recession is to lower interest rates. Because rates are already near zero, they can't be lowered anymore. Obviously Obama is long gone and Trump will take the fall.

Jeanette

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 7:27 pm
amother wrote:
A rising stock market is not a sign the government is printing money. The government is either printing money or it's not. The national debt went up under Obama to historical levels and at 21 trillion we are way past the point of no return. It seems Trump is committed to normalizing interest rates, and rates are actually rising now. Unfortunately most economists believe that the damage is already done and the economy witch is so used to and dependent on free money will not be able to survive higher rates. This will cause a recession. The first trick the government has in fighting a recession is to lower interest rates. Because rates are already near zero, they can't be lowered anymore. Obviously Obama is long gone and Trump will take the fall.

You do know that the deficit is exploding thanks to the Republican tax scam. But yeah blame Obama.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 7:41 pm
amother wrote:
We had sustained growth under Obama for 8 years because he kept interest rates low and printed money to no end. Those policies will help in the short term but will have disastrous long term consequences. It's like a drug addict that needs drugs to function and get thru the day. So the choice is either to continue taking drugs which will help today but destroy the body in the long run, or accept difficult treatment today which will be hard now but will save the person's life in the future. As president, Obama (as most politicians) didn't really care about the long term consequences in the future. He wanted to have a functioning economy and get reelected a second term. It was worth it to continue with the disastrous policies and not worry about the future.

So you concede that the booming economy of the last 9 years is the direct result of Obama's policies.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 8:25 pm
amother wrote:
So you concede that the booming economy of the last 9 years is the direct result of Obama's policies.

We had growth under Obama, not "a booming economy". Calm down. There wasn't a single year that growth averaged 3%. Not even once. And to a large extent the growth was due to policies that were harmful for the future. That future is probably going to be the present pretty soon.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics