Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Ethics of Holocaust fiction
Previous  1  2

unexpected

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 4:18 pm
I loved Devils Arithmetic by Jane Yolen and I made my kids read it. It made the holocaust more real to me than any other holocaust books that I’ve ever read and it reenforced the message of “never forget” which you don’t see so much in frum books

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 7:30 pm
Regarding the comment that only fiction states "never forget", just about every memoir of a perished victim says "tell them what they did to us". This is exactly never forget

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 7:37 pm
I have more of an issue with frum publishers posting holocaust fiction. The theme of many holocause stories is that even in the darkest and most oppressive time, they still managed to see the hand of Hashem and G-D manipulated the story and made what seem impossible become possible. That is inspirational when the story is true, when the story is fiction , what sort of inspiration is there? It is fiction . I don’t get why frum publishers publish fictional holocaust stories with themes of Hashgacha pratis

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 7:51 pm
Some excellent and frum true holocaust books.

To Vanguish the Dragon
The Unfinished Diary
The Unheeded Cry
The Youngest Partisan

Not frum publication, but also excellent.

The Holocaust By Bullets
Sentenced To Live
While Six Million Died
Survival In Auschwitz- Primo Levy
History On Trial - Deborah Lipstadt

DrMom

Post Sat, Jun 23 2018, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:
Regarding the comment that only fiction states "never forget", just about every memoir of a perished victim says "tell them what they did to us". This is exactly never forget

Who said that?

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jun 23 2018, 5:14 pm
I won't give titles but yes, some stories presented as true or true based and been fully disproved (not the background, obvs, the story). It is extremely detrimental, to me.

BEWARE the boy with striped PJs is very very hard for a child, both the ending and some of the concepts in the relationship between the characters. It is always presented as "for child" but Nope.

¨Primo Levy, who happens to be my husband's cousin, is a classic indeed among real stories. So is anything anything Father Desbois (Shoah by bullets). I have grown too sensitive for that kind of things but my FIL zal had a fund for publications in his parents' memory and there are probably many underrated ones.

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Jun 23 2018, 9:55 pm
Ruchel wrote:

BEWARE the boy with striped PJs is very very hard for a child, both the ending and some of the concepts in the relationship between the characters. It is always presented as "for child" but Nope.

I've never seen it recommended for children.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Jun 23 2018, 10:08 pm
amother wrote:

not what she said - she was reflected on frum holocaust publications (didn't distinguish between fiction and non fiction).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics