Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
How to help husband stop drinking soda
Previous  1  2

Reality

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 9:49 am
I didn't grow up drinking soda. My husband did. When we got married I told my husband I didn't want soda in the house. We agreed that out of the house he could drink what he wants and if he is sick we would have ginger ale. I didn't want my children to be soda drinkers. Would your husband agree to something like this?

As an aside, it really bothered me that he was drinking so much soda. It was terrible for his weight and teeth. But he really was addicted! Thank G-d he has stopped drinking soda but only after major dental work on his front teeth. It was caused from drinking small bottles of soda I.e. not drinking from a cup but always drinking from the bottle.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 9:52 am
My DH once showed me a picture of a bottle of soda and a measuring cup filled with sugar next to it. It was showing how much sugar is in one bottle of soda and it was quite mind boggling.
OP, how about switching to Coke Zero. It's still soda but not full of sugar and probably still not healthy, but a better choice.
Also, try switching it to seltzer or flavored carbonated water which has zero sweetener or sugar but has the gas and flavor.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 9:54 am
When my mom got married she bought seltzer instead of soda and my soda-drinking-dad became a seltzer-drinking-man.... My mom would buy just one container of juice per week and once it was finished it was finished.

I thought I’d try the same trick with my man but that didn’t fly! He drinks lots of soda, and sugary juices. I drink seltzer, some juices and mostly water. I think I will introduce the one bottle per week thing- for the soda- and if it finishes, it finished. If he wants more he’s welcome to go get himself.

heidi

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 9:55 am
My husband bought a soda stream. Now everyone is happy with seltzer although they sometimes add juice to the seltzer. You can buy sugar free flavors to add to the seltzer.

naomi2

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:02 am
My Drh is adducted to soda. I only allow individual cans and everyone knows it's just for him . I can't control his drinking but I can make sure the kids don't pick up the habbit.
I did start buying flavored cans of seltzer to have in the fridge and he occasionally chooses that over soda. It has to come from him though because you really cant"make" your husband do anything. I find that having a healthy alternative in a similar can in the fridge makes it easier for him to choose the better drink.

Fox

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:29 am
Serious soda addict here. Or, as we call it, pop. Soda usually involves ice cream.

I've fought this addiction for about 45 years with intermittent success, and I've learned along the way that it's not just a bad habit or lack of self discipline. There are some underlying issues.

First, you need to figure out exactly what your DH is drinking and why. Does he gravitate only to cola drinks? Only to corn syrup-sweetened drinks? To any carbonated drink? Does it have to be cold? His preferences will tell you a lot about why he finds soda so irresistible.

For example, I have virtually no interest in anything not cola-flavored. I generally drink diet colas, but I prefer the corn syrup or sugar-sweetened ones. Prefer it room-temperature, actually.

When I finally found a doctor to whom I felt comfortable confessing my shameful secret, he asked me all of the above questions and then some. He asked a lot about my lifestyle, job, etc. Then he said, "No wonder you're addicted. Your body thinks it's found the perfect food. The cola and carbonation settle your stomach and the corn syrup/sugar reduce cortisol brought on by stress. Your body doesn't care that you're getting lots of empty calories -- it thinks it's doing a great job by solving several problems with one drink!"

He suggested some of the following:

Like other posters said, use seltzer water combined with small amounts of apple juice or other flavorings whenever possible.

If I'm feeling stressed, have a small amount -- maybe half a cup -- and think of it as medicine, not a beverage.

Stockpile Pesachdik soda or purchase sugar-sweetened brands. Corn syrup is apparently literally physically addictive in some respects.

Drink a cup of water or seltzer before or interspersed with the soda.

As Heidi suggested, get a SodaStream and gradually decrease the amount of flavoring.

I won't claim "soda sobriety," but I've definitely improved. I almost never drink the full-calorie stuff, and when I do, I do so consciously and in small amounts. I'm also better at limiting the diet cola, too. I do have relapses when I'm under deadlines or involved in stressful work projects, but I just try to forgive myself and get back on the wagon.

If soda is actually filling a physical need of your DH's, like it is for me, lecturing him about his health won't do any good. It may not do any good anyway. Don't encourage him to quit cold turkey. Work with him to find ways to decrease his consumption and drink soda mindfully when he does rather than just guzzling it unconsciously. Not that any of us would ever do that embarrassed

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:43 am
Op, I am with you on the soda thing. In my house we call it poison. I never bring it into the house. On Shabbos we have flavored seltzer. Clear Choice makes really good ones. I do keep homemade lemonade and flavored water( coolmate) in the fridge for the moments the males need something sweet.

jkl

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 1:00 pm
hello321 wrote:
Large amounts
Im not getting too much support here.
Im not try to force him I guess im trying to help him realize how unhealthy it is....

I'm pretty sure he knows how unhealthy it is. I would have a conversation with him expressing my understanding of his need for it, but also voicing my concern. I would then let him know that whenever he is ready to move away from it, I'll be there to help him.

thanks

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 1:12 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Op, I am with you on the soda thing. In my house we call it poison. I never bring it into the house. On Shabbos we have flavored seltzer. Clear Choice makes really good ones. I do keep homemade lemonade and flavored water( coolmate) in the fridge for the moments the males need something sweet.

Clear choice is diet soda without color. Loaded with chemicals, unlike flavored seltzer.
Pick your poison, or drink h2o.

isrmss91

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 4:03 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
You worry about your own health. Leave him be.

My DH used to drink soda like crazy. He would practically finish a whole 64 ounce bottle on his own. Besides thinking it was rude, it was bad for his health, and I would tell him so. Well lets just say he got diabetes, and eventually paid for it with his life. My kids are growing up without a father. OP has every right to be be concerned. I know, I was her.

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 4:09 pm
Let him ask you for your help. That will be the most beneficial way to do it.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 4:57 pm
thanks wrote:
Clear choice is diet soda without color. Loaded with chemicals, unlike flavored seltzer.
Pick your poison, or drink h2o.

We drink only water. But as a sub for soda on Shabbos we have one bottle per sueda. So a 1/2 cup total per week isn’t that bad.

NovelConcept

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 6:37 pm
Fox wrote:
Or, as we call it, pop.

Minnesotan by any chance? Oofta! Smile

I totally agree with the flavored seltzer and soda stream. My husband actually was a big soda drinker, but then I started buying the orange-flavored seltzer from Beer Mayim and started serving that every night instead of his customary soda. It worked! He eventually lost almost all taste for soda, though he does drink a cup or so Shabbos.

nylon

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 8:52 pm
I've fought a soda habit for years. Unless someone asks for your help, don't. I would have resented it and gone out and bought a six pack. You're his wife, not his mother.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics