Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Does the dtap vaccine shed?

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 1:07 pm
I’m due very soon and I’m wondering if I can give my toddler the vaccine, or can it damage my newborn somehow?

Anything live in it?

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 1:13 pm
Sounds like a question for your doctor, no?

But no, the Dtap is not live and does not shed.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 2:12 pm
Not live and does not shed, however some of the side affects of this vaccine could be hand foot and mouth disease which does spread, and weakened immune system which may allow for other virus and infection to be contracted by your toddler. If you're due imminently I would wait a while, especially as your child may come down with a fever following the shot, and who would take care of him if you're in labour?

Miri7

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 2:17 pm
Definitely a question for your doctor. I think having everyone in the house up to date on the vaccine for pertussis is considered a priority

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 5:38 am
I’d assume it’s safe to give your toddler considering where I live you get it when you’re pregnant specifically Bc the fetus gets some of the vaccine as well.

supty

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 6:44 am
Definitely does not shed. Only live virus vaccines can shed, which would be the MMR and varicella vaccines. Many doctors even recommend getting the tdap (adult version of dtap) when pregnant to pass some of the immunities to your baby.

anon for this

Post Sat, Jun 23 2018, 6:50 pm
amother wrote:
Not live and does not shed, however some of the side affects of this vaccine could be hand foot and mouth disease which does spread, and weakened immune system which may allow for other virus and infection to be contracted by your toddler. If you're due imminently I would wait a while, especially as your child may come down with a fever following the shot, and who would take care of him if you're in labour?

I didn't know this. Could you tell me your source for this?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 6:15 pm
That makes no sense. The DTaP is to protect against specific bacterial infections. It cannot give a virus from the vaccine. What CAN happen is the body's immune system is working on processing the vaccine and is weakened (like you said) and therefore one may be more susceptible to illnesses in general, including, I suppose, the HFM disease...

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jun 26 2018, 7:52 pm
I am 8 months preg and was just given the DTAP vaccine. I take it at this point of all my pregnancies - so I'm guessing it isn't dangerous for preg women.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Jun 27 2018, 12:17 am
Hold on. Your toddler should be up to date on his dtap vaccines - he should have gotten them at 2, 4, and 6 months old, and I think there might be another booster in elementary school unless I'm mixing up vaccines. If he's had those then he doesn't need any more, and if he hasn't then yes get him vaccinated for your baby's sake.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jun 27 2018, 3:15 pm
It doesn’t shed. However if you look on the cdc’s site it states that the pertussis part is accelular- which is different from what we received as children- and in every study done with the accelular pertussis it will make the person who received it asymtomatic BUT they WILL STILL contract it and spread the disease when they come in contact with it making them like silent killers bec pertussis is extremely dangerous to infants. The person who isn’t vaccinated if they contract will show signs and know not to go near the baby. For this reason I wouldn’t let anyone vaccinated in the past 5 years kiss/hold/ be super close to any baby.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 27 2018, 6:06 pm
finallyamommy wrote:
Hold on. Your toddler should be up to date on his dtap vaccines - he should have gotten them at 2, 4, and 6 months old, and I think there might be another booster in elementary school unless I'm mixing up vaccines. If he's had those then he doesn't need any more, and if he hasn't then yes get him vaccinated for your baby's sake.

There is a 4th dose between 12 and 18 months (because immunity doesn't really stick from before 6 months well, so they do it at the end of infancy getting into toddlerhood with more boosters after that throughout life)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics