Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Why are counselors notoriously underpaid?
Previous  1  2

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 1:03 am
American israeli here.
At 15 I was a JC, made 1200 shekels plus another 600 in tips.
Worked for a month from 9-4.30, got home every day at 5. We did on the other hand, get to work with friends, had 2 counselor trips, got breaks when they had singing or dancing classes, and I enjoyed the experience and the money, which was TONS to me at 15.

I did not do it again, by the time I was 16 I realized it was not worth the money.
The owners for very nice and courteous. Counselors made 1500, and every year you worked there upped your salary more. So I had friend making 2000 plus getting 600-800 in tips.

The owners treated us well, moved around bunks and counselors, worked with us with hard kids, and were very nice. I think that added to the fact of enjoying it too.

I also had another month free to spend my money and hang out with my friends, so yeah.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 8:10 am
Yes they can be badly paid, and tips aren't a thing in my planet.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 8:13 am
Supply and demand.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 8:20 am
Youth corp is for NYC residents only. They get around 1200$. Most girls get $150-250 a month. Is it legal no, but they probably get paid in cash anyway , that amount you don't have to pay taxes

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 9:17 am
My daughter was chosen for syep but then the camp she is working at as a councelor said they dont want to be busy with it
And told my daughter
Some other camps charge staff to work and at least we dont
They dont pay salary either
Oh well!

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 12:08 pm
How do we get away with paying baby nurses so little? How much do they make an hour?
Food and board is counted toward their employment - but still - and they are adults.

I wonder if that is how it works here - the 13 year olds get to go on the trips and enjoy the activities. And if they paid more they might as well hire 16 year olds and the 13 year olds wouldn't have jobs and mothers would have to send them to camp.

A minimum wage of $4.25 per hour applies to young workers under the age of 20 during their first 90 consecutive calendar days of employment with an employer. I believe tips can count toward this amount (not that all counts tip). I'm guessing camps can deduct the cost of trips, busing, t-shirts, swimming and other activities from this amount?

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 12:14 pm
amother wrote:
How do we get away with paying baby nurses so little? How much do they make an hour?
Food and board is counted toward their employment - but still - and they are adults.

I wonder if that is how it works here - the 13 year olds get to go on the trips and enjoy the activities. And if they paid more they might as well hire 16 year olds and the 13 year olds wouldn't have jobs and mothers would have to send them to camp.

A minimum wage of $4.25 per hour applies to young workers under the age of 20 during their first 90 consecutive calendar days of employment with an employer. I believe tips can count toward this amount (not that all counts tip). I'm guessing camps can deduct the cost of trips, busing, t-shirts, swimming and other activities from this amount?

That doesn't apply across the board to all employers.

fleetwood

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 12:33 pm
Luckily my daughter got youth corps last yr and this yr or she would make 350 for a summer. Such chutzpah!! Especially since ,so many kids are getting youth corps,the camp should theoretically have extra money to pay those not receiving youthcorp. It's crazy that I pay 1500 for my 12 yr old for daycamp, and the counselor of 20 kids,if she doesn't get youthcorp makes 350$!! Truly insane!

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 6:48 pm
The day camps and schools I send to are definitely not raking it in, they give much needed breaks all over the place and have a deficit every year.
Being a JC or Counselor is a chance to have fun, learn responsibility and keep kids busy and out of trouble.
I think many people here just like to rant and rave about something, but not really think about it.

If there are schools and day camps charging EVERY family a fortune and paying minimum, as some people are raking it in, then that's a different story.
For most Mosdos this is not the case.

For the camps that use school buildings, there are many other expenses to doing so, granted rent is not one of them, I've been involved behind the scenes of a big decamp using a school building, the Director probably made less than the HC.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 7:00 pm
amother wrote:
The day camps and schools I send to are definitely not raking it in, they give much needed breaks all over the place and have a deficit every year.
Being a JC or Counselor is a chance to have fun, learn responsibility and keep kids busy and out of trouble.
I think many people here just like to rant and rave about something, but not really think about it.

If there are schools and day camps charging EVERY family a fortune and paying minimum, as some people are raking it in, then that's a different story.
For most Mosdos this is not the case.

For the camps that use school buildings, there are many other expenses to doing so, granted rent is not one of them, I've been involved behind the scenes of a big decamp using a school building, the Director probably made less than the HC.

My oldest was a counselor at an overnight camp. He worked for 7 weeks, 6 days a week, 8 am until 9 pm. He was required to be with his kids at all times. To look after them. Make sure they were enjoying themselves and not getting into trouble. He was even required to ensure that they were eating properly, and to report any suspected eating issues to the division head. To deal with arguments and homesickness and kids who didn't want to do whatever and making kids clean up and everything else. For this, he netted $250, plus tips.

That's not "learning responsibility" and having fun. Its taking advantage.

None of my other kids were willing to do it, after his experience.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 8:31 pm
amother wrote:

This may be true of the camps run by not-for-profits, but not the privately owned daycamps - owners won't run a camp where they lose money.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 28 2018, 8:41 pm
studying_torah wrote:
What is youth corp?

NYC will pay youth salary so that people will hire them over the summer. The employers don't have to pay youth a wage if the they're registered providers and the youth are registered applicants.
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dycd......page
There are mandatory weekly sign in confirmations with the city.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics