Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
ISO Architect without degree? Lakewood
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 7:21 pm
I agree with Maya. Squishy, the architect that put his stamp on the plans without doing his own review is the one putting his name end license on the line and the one who can't be trusted.

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 7:43 pm
Maya wrote:
So you dealt with an incompetent architectural designer. What does that have anything to do with putting up a sign with the name of the designer?

I don't understand what you are saying.
My husband owns an architectural firm. He himself is not yet eligible to take the exams before next year, but he employs licensed architects who review and then sign off on his designs and plans. It's perfectly legal. In fact, that is how one apprentices before applying for a license. So the firm can't bear his name because he's not licensed yet? Anyone can name a business however they want.

ETA: he can't say he's an architect (yet), but his business can be an architectural group, or any similar wording.

1. You can't name your business whatever you want.

2. They held themselves out as architects - not designers or apprentices. Neither myself nor the owner knew that Bozo was not licensed. I only found out when I was complaining to the licensed guy. Non-licensed practitioners of professions rely on the fact the frum community protects their own. They learn through trial and error what others learn when going through the licensing procedure.

I have come across electricians, lawyers, investment advisors, counsellors who hold themselves out as professionals. I asked a different guy named Bozo where he went to law school, and he told me he took the forms off the internet. Electricians get other licensed electricians to certify their work without even seeing the job.

I prefer to work with professionals who actually went to professional school. It makes me feel that they were properly trained. DH's grandfather was an engineer who never attended college. He was flown around the world as a bridge builder. It was different then.

Others prefer to work with unlicensed folks because they are cheaper.

I hope your husband is very successful and it is great he is getting licensed.

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 7:49 pm
Squishy wrote:
1. You can't name your business whatever you want.

2. They held themselves out as architects - not designers or apprentices. Neither myself nor the owner knew that Bozo was not licensed. I only found out when I was complaining to the licensed guy. Non-licensed practitioners of professions rely on the fact the frum community protects their own. They learn through trial and error what others learn when going through the licensing procedure.

I have come across electricians, lawyers, investment advisors, counsellors who hold themselves out as professionals. I asked a different guy named Bozo where he went to law school, and he told me he took the forms off the internet. Electricians get other licensed electricians to certify their work without even seeing the job.

I prefer to work with professionals who actually went to professional school. It makes me feel that they were properly trained. DH's grandfather was an engineer who never attended college. He was flown around the world as a bridge builder. It was different then.

Others prefer to work with unlicensed folks because they are cheaper.

I hope your husband is very successful and it is great he is getting licensed.

It is the responsibility of the client to vet the credentials of a professional before hiring him or her. People can make themselves out to be whatever they want, and if someone wants to hire them even though they're not educated or licensed, that's on them.

(My husband went to college and has a degree.)

As mentioned in the thread, people who want to do this without an education are called space planners or designers.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 7:51 pm
Squishy, what you're describing is not the same as what Maya's dh is doing. He's a business man running a firm of architects.
Many medical offices are run and owned by business men who hire doctors.

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 7:56 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Squishy, what your describing is not the same as what Maya's dh is doing. He's a business man running a firm of architects.

Actually, he does a lot of the designing himself, but his employees draw up, review and sign off on the plans.

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 8:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Squishy, what you're describing is not the same as what Maya's dh is doing. He's a business man running a firm of architects.

That is not legal in this state although it happens in the frum community. I could name two off-hand. They hire drs to front for them. You must be a doctor to own a medical office. The same is true of attorneys.

I believe you need at least one actual licensed architect as an owner to hold yourself out as an architectural firm. I don't know percentages. I know an engineering firm that is co-owns a firm of architects.

sourstix

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 8:48 pm
Maya do his employees have a license?

sourstix

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 8:55 pm
Maya it's wrong for people to do this kind of work unlicensed. So many problems happen because of it. I'm sure you know.

This is psa, don't take any workers that don't have license in the building field. You get into many problems because of it. It's worth paying the extra for peace of mind. And if you can't afford it, your life isn't worth risking it. I really mean it. I hope this will be taken in the manner it's intended.

There are definitely people that are very knowledgeable without license, but if something goes wrong, you can't go after them.

bluebird

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 9:12 pm
You know, I don't care who signed plans. I don't want to be in a building designed by someone without sound education in the field. It is a form of engineering, after all. Would you want to be driving a car built by a guy that's good with engines? I wouldn't.

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 9:47 pm
sourstix wrote:
Maya it's wrong for people to do this kind of work unlicensed. So many problems happen because of it. I'm sure you know.

I am in no way, shape or form advocating going into a profession without any training or education. On the contrary, I am against the idea of taking the easy way out and learning on the job.

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 9:51 pm
Squishy wrote:

I believe you need at least one actual licensed architect as an owner to hold yourself out as an architectural firm. I don't know percentages. I know an engineering firm that is co-owns a firm of architects.

You're right, I believe that at least two of the licensed architects are partners.

Are you saying that in your instance, the signs at the construction site claimed the name of the guy as an architect, when he wasn't? Or was it just his business name?

12rivkyk34

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 11:55 pm
When we were building, I asked my builder who was knowledgeable if I really needed outdoor pillars on my front porch as I decided I didn't want them. He said it's just design and I can take it out. I decided to confirm with my licensed architect and he told me my upstairs porch would fall down if there's a snow storm without pillars. Space planners can give good advice but an architect needs to thoroughly review plans to confirm issues like pipes, hvac, weight bearing walls etc.

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 12:09 am
Maya wrote:
You're right, I believe that at least two of the licensed architects are partners.

Are you saying that in your instance, the signs at the construction site claimed the name of the guy as an architect, when he wasn't? Or was it just his business name?

This question is complex for two reasons.

The first is that by answering it directly, I could be identifying the person. It is NOT obvious he is NOT an architect. Any reasonable person not from frumsville would think he is a licensed architect. I know I was shocked when I found out. Personally, I don't like his work, and I was saying how it was not my taste and that I didn't find his design flowed. I was informed in answer to why he is hired that he is well connected.

The second reason is you still under the impression you can name your business whatever you like. You can't open up "The Maya Law Firm" even if you are not selling legal services. Squishy and Maya can't open up a business called "Squishy and Maya Architectural Design Services". Can you see how that would be deceptive?

njwife

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 8:36 am
Anyone know where I can find out more info about this? I’m looking into it for a job for myself, I like planning things out and am thinking it might be a good career for me. Is it possible to work on my own and not under a firm?
Any more info on kitchen/bath design?
Thank you

stillnewlywed

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 10:29 am
njwife wrote:
Anyone know where I can find out more info about this? I’m looking into it for a job for myself, I like planning things out and am thinking it might be a good career for me. Is it possible to work on my own and not under a firm?
Thank you

I am a certified residential planner, I took a course through Art Institute of Pittsburgh. It was a mix of design, CAD, space planning, kitchen and bath etc.
Kitchen and bath is totally separate from other types of design, so you have to decide which one you want to focus on. Once you start learning the industry standards on one, it's hard to switch. I think the kitchen and bath industry in Lakewood is easier to get into if you want to work under someone. The regular design field is hard to get into to start out, and you definitely need to work under someone for a little bit before you go out on your own.
I love space planning and design but I am finding it really hard to find a job in Lakewood. At this point, I am looking to work under an architect out of Lakewood, but they really don't pay well for entry level. So I'm quite stuck.

enneamom

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 10:50 am
njwife wrote:
Thank you

This looks promising: http://testingandtraining.com/.....ning/

CDL

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 11:05 am
Maya wrote:
So you dealt with an incompetent architectural designer. What does that have anything to do with putting up a sign with the name of the designer?

I don't understand what you are saying.
My husband owns an architectural firm. He himself is not yet eligible to take the exams before next year, but he employs licensed architects who review and then sign off on his designs and plans. It's perfectly legal. In fact, that is how one apprentices before applying for a license. So the firm can't bear his name because he's not licensed yet? Anyone can name a business however they want.

ETA: he can't say he's an architect (yet), but his business can be an architectural group, or any similar wording.
I’m pretty sure you can’t use the word “architecture” or “architect” in any form unless you are licensed. This varies by state. That said, there’s nothing wrong with your name on a construction sign. That’s not deceptive in any way.
https://www.ncarb.org/blog/upd.....ssion

If anyone wants they can PM me.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics