Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Putting a 9 year old on zoloft
Previous  1  2

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Jun 30 2018, 5:46 pm
amother wrote:
Ocd symptoms going on for about a year and a half tried two therapists. They did cbt and exposure therapy. Did not help much. She is becoming more and more distressed, telling me that the ocd is getting worse. She became moody and very reactive. She gets up most nights during the night, doctor diagnosed restless leg syndrome. Was going to try the vitamin route, but the amount of stuff recommended made her vomit. So at this point we went to a psychiatric nurse practitioner that 2 of the top doctors at our clinic recommended and she prescribed Zoloft. She said it will help all areas and is the best med for ocd. At this point we want her to have some relief!

Oh, definitely go for it then! I have anxiety and OCD since I was 7. I didn't take medication until I was 11. I basically just spent those 4 years suffering until I was basically incapacitated and that was when I went on medication. I didn't take zoloft, it was something else (but this was years ago, I don't even know if zoloft existed then). I encourage you to go with the medicaiton if therapy alone hasn't helped, you can't imagine the relief!!!

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Jun 30 2018, 10:36 pm
When I was 11 my parents put me on a similar drug, hoping it would fix me. Unfortunately, they didn't know that I needed good therapy. They tried. They took me to the Jewish Board, but the therapist didn't know how to establish trust with me.

Fast forward many years...I think the drugs were a waste of time. A good therapist would have been a wiser choice. I understand they didn't have $$$ for a better therapist.

As an adult I tried Zoloft for a few months. I felt so numb and out of touch with my heart, I weaned off it.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Jun 30 2018, 11:00 pm
amother wrote:

SSRIs carry an initial risk of suicidal ideation and behavior, especially in children. That is not something that I would take lightly.

Yes. Perhaps the missing piece as to why suicide rates are getting progressively worse over time. More people on drugs = greater rate of suicide.
Don't argue with me...it's on the list of side effects.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 12:19 am
Get a second opinion. Use Dr Brett Blatter for second opinion or for steady use.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 12:30 am
Really hesitated to post anything but if my experience can help anyone I push myself.
Was on medication for close to 15 years of my life. I understand why I was put on it. And I had top doctors and professionals. Those years are a blur. Yes, TG I did accomplish more than I could have without -but at what cost!! Now I’m dealing with the real stuff I needed to deal with then. Of course I didn't have loving parents to support me or any sort of substantial support -hence the need to medicate. But if you are loving parents and can get training and therapy for your child and yourselves youll be helping your child for life!! Medication is a crutch sometimes needed. The side effects are real amd going off them is torturous. And if the issues arent dealt with simultaneously there is no real gain. Actually things are worse . maybe I’ll come back later to explain why.
So whatever you decide use therapy as a must. somatic experiencing with someone well trained would be amazing for child and patents and education of parents.
Dont think he addresses OCD but he does help the anxiety. Lawrence cohens parenting books.
This is so hard as parents to deal with. But your child is lucky to have you. Just please educte yourself. Not just by the American psych world. I was advised that if I took my child to psych they'd just medicate and bc of my own personal experience I know its true.
Its not easy and noone knows the answer -it’s confusing.
Medication is a crutch. Maybe sometimes essential but deal with the issue.. or stronger crutches and avoidance follow..

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 5:31 am
Can anyone recommend a good therapist for ocd in or near lakewood so we can do therapy in conjunction with the medication? She is seeing a therapist now and she really likes going to her but I do not think she is skilled enough for what we are dealing with. although she seems to be very bright. Or maybe a trauma therapist? I suspected trauma perhaps as a source for this, after doctor ruled out pandas (strep titers are elevated but not enough for pandas as per pediatricians). She recently shared that a teenage boy in the neighborhood was threatening her and she is really scared of him. It is interesting because she is not all hesitant to ever go outside to play. As of now she has not revealed that he molested her but perhaps he did or even just her fears of him can be causing such distress. There is more to the story perhaps but for now this is all she shared with me.

avocado7

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 5:39 am
It had no effect on me as far as my mood is concerned. And I felt numbed. By far much happier when I came off it.slowly.

purpleink

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 12:10 pm
I know you were asking specifically about Zoloft. I have no experience with that medication, but if you want to try something else first before medication, you can use inositol and choline. I give 1 tbsp of inositol and mix with half a capsule of choline. Mix with milk or chocolate milk. It's undetectable. Or mix with milk and give with cereal. It's more annoying to be on top of than a pill, but when I actually do it twice a day, it really works. Not magic but an improvement especially after a week or two.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 12:34 pm
amother wrote:
Yes. Perhaps the missing piece as to why suicide rates are getting progressively worse over time. More people on drugs = greater rate of suicide.
Don't argue with me...it's on the list of side effects.

This happened to ds twice.each time he was on antidepressant he became suicidal. Somatic Experiencing helped him a lot. His OCD/anxiety used to be through the roof and with SE he is at peace and calm.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 01 2018, 12:50 pm
What is somatic experience?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics