Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Teacher-moms what do you do when your kids are sick?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 2:57 pm
A question to those who teach in schools and have young children: how do you manage if/when your kids get sick?

All my kids have these young-to-middle aged Morahs with children. How do they all come to school (almost) every day?

Last year, I often had several days in a week when at least one kid was home sick/pseudo-sick/feeling questionably etc.

I've been offered an opportunity to teach in a school setting, and am interested. But how do people make it work?

I don't have help from family for such cases, husband would be busy with his things.
Is there a way to make it work, or only wait till youngest can be left home if sick?

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 3:00 pm
Most of my friends who teach either have in home child care or husbands that have some flexibility. There is one babysitter in my area that takes sick kids and keeps them in a different room from everyone else.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 3:05 pm
Why is this different from any other job?

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 3:06 pm
All of my friends that teach their husbands are learning or have flexible schedules, so they stay home with the sick kids.
What does any working mom do when kid is sick?

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 3:08 pm
Many many jobs can be done remotely if you need to stay home with a sick kid. Teaching cant. I think that is the main difference.

Maryann

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 3:12 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Many many jobs can be done remotely if you need to stay home with a sick kid. Teaching cant. I think that is the main difference.

Really? I would say some jobs, not many many
Wondering what jobs u r referring to,

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 3:13 pm
My office job is impossible to do from home.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 3:15 pm
I have worked in Law, Real Estate and now I do recruiting and all of those could be done remotely. I can think of friends or family members in sales, marketing, computers, accounting who could do their jobs from anywhere. Everyone's employer will have different rules but there are so many programs now that allow one to access their work computer remotely that its gotten much easier to work remotely on occasion.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 3:30 pm
I am fortunate that B"H my kids don't get sick often. Otherwise I don't know what I would do. I'm a single mom and all my relatives work, so I don't really have backup.

If they are "pseudo-sick," meaning that they feel too under the weather to go to school, but no fever or specific illness, I bring them to work with me. They are old enough to sit quietly while I teach, though too young to stay home alone. If they are actually sick with fever or strep or such, then I have to take off, but fortunately that hasn't happened often.

I don't have a large family so there are fewer kids to get sick than in bigger families. People I know who teach and have more kids and/or kids who get sick often generally have help in the home who is there anyone (like with a baby) and/or relatives who are available in a pinch and/or a husband who can sometimes take off. Even so, they take off sometimes for a sick kids but the backup options help minimize it.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 3:57 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I have worked in Law, Real Estate and now I do recruiting and all of those could be done remotely. I can think of friends or family members in sales, marketing, computers, accounting who could do their jobs from anywhere. Everyone's employer will have different rules but there are so many programs now that allow one to access their work computer remotely that its gotten much easier to work remotely on occasion.

But when you're taking care of a sick kid, it's not exactly so feasible to work remotely anyway.

I've been in education for ten years. Now I have a full time in home sitter but before that, I had a list of back up sitters who were sometimes available to watch my kid(s) in home, if none of them were available I'd post on social media trying to make a connection, and if that didn't happen, my husband would take off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics