Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Can anyone compare Detroit and Denver for me?

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 8:00 pm
We’re thinking of moving to Denver due to a job offer DH just received. We’re JPF (I guess) and my kids go to YBY/Bais Yaakov.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 8:16 pm
They both start with Ds.
One of them is in a state with legalized marijuana.
Detroit is growing, a lot. I don't know where you're coming from but it may well be a doable drive to family.

Don't get me wrong. Denver has wonderful institutions and people. I don't know how doable buying a house is there (you might not want to right away anyway; it's often good to rent for a while to get an idea of the market, where you'd like to live, etc.).

Sorry to be so rambling. I'm not sure where Detroit comes into the picture unless you have an offer there too. The big question is, your employment options, and chinuch for your kids. Maybe ask some more specific questions?

Hatzlacha!

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 8:19 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
They both start with Ds.
One of them is in a state with legalized marijuana.
Detroit is growing, a lot. I don't know where you're coming from but it may well be a doable drive to family.

Don't get me wrong. Denver has wonderful institutions and people. I don't know how doable buying a house is there (you might not want to right away anyway; it's often good to rent for a while to get an idea of the market, where you'd like to live, etc.).

Sorry to be so rambling. I'm not sure where Detroit comes into the picture unless you have an offer there too. The big question is, your employment options, and chinuch for your kids. Maybe ask some more specific questions?

Hatzlacha!

I live in Detroit. I’ve been here for years and don’t need to know anything about it. I mentioned it because I wanted people to know where I’m coming from. I said above my kids go to YBY. My husband has employment here and an offer there.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 8:24 pm
amother wrote:
I live in Detroit. I’ve been here for years and don’t need to know anything about it. I mentioned it because I wanted people to know where I’m coming from. I said above my kids go to YBY. My husband has employment here and an offer there.

Ah. I had a hunch you live in Detroit. Do you know local people who moved from Denver? They may have fine feelings for Denver, even if they moved. And find people who send their boys to the yeshiva, they may know about the community too.

I don't know how old your kids are. The schools seem very good to me from what I've heard, but you might want to find out if people there send their kids away over the local schools and why. (This is probably even more important for girls, as some parents do it for boys almost routinely, without giving the local options a shot.)

Anyway, I hope my replying serves to bump this for you so you get more targeted replies. Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating