Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Anyone work from home with a toddler?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 3:34 pm
I freelance, and I've had my LO home with me for the past year. The babysitter I was sending to at the time wasn't working out, so I decided to just keep him with me and work between his naps and playtime.

I can't work straight anyway since my job is very mentally demanding and I need to take frequent breaks. But lately he's been getting harder to handle. Kvetchy, demanding, not eating what I prepared for him and throwing tantrums. It can get so frustrating at times! I need to work!

Any amothers who are able to make this work? Please share your tips and experiences.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 3:48 pm
no. I was able to do it until she was 18 months old but then it got too hard - shorter naps, wanted to be held always, needed more interaction.
I do work with her home 1 1/2 hours now at age 2 1/2 but longer then that is impossible.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 4:00 pm
amother wrote:
no. I was able to do it until she was 18 months old but then it got too hard - shorter naps, wanted to be held always, needed more interaction.
I do work with her home 1 1/2 hours now at age 2 1/2 but longer then that is impossible.

Thanks for responding.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 4:01 pm
I’m home with dd who turned two in February. There is no way that I would be able to work when she is awake

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
I’m home with dd who turned two in February. There is no way that I would be able to work when she is awake

To clarify, you work when she's asleep or you're a SAHM?

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:
To clarify, you work when she's asleep or you're a SAHM?

I’m a sham. However I wouldn’t be able to be a wahm when she is awake. My dh works from home a few hours a day and she doesn’t let him breathe. Wants to sit on his lap by computer etc

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 4:12 pm
I did until about 15 months. At that point I realized it wasn't fair to my baby to keep him home, because I was just getting frustrated when he didn't nap/play nicely etc. it was better for both of us when I sent him out.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 4:59 pm
amother wrote:
I’m a sham. However I wouldn’t be able to be a wahm when she is awake. My dh works from home a few hours a day and she doesn’t let him breathe. Wants to sit on his lap by computer etc

I guess that's how it goes...kvetching and pulling at my skirt all day. (I don't think you're a sham, tho...lol...)

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 4:59 pm
with ds1 it was NO PROBLEM at all. he played quietly and was happy when I worked. I only understood HOW hard it can be when ds2 was a toodler. I HAD to send him to gan early, because when he was 13 months old there was just NOOO way I could get any work done while he was at home.
dd is 11 months old now and I still have her home BUT I cannot say how much longer it will work for us. she is not very demanding, somewhere in between ds1 and ds2 (who were really to opposite extremes).

so I guess this really depends on the child and the individual situaion. it totally can work but it can also totally not. I really didnt do anything different with my kids, they grow up under the same conditions yet turn out completely different Smile

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 5:04 pm
I sent my kids at at that age for a few hours. (Until nap time) because I couldn’t get anything done. They really need attention at that age.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 5:05 pm
amother wrote:
I did until about 15 months. At that point I realized it wasn't fair to my baby to keep him home, because I was just getting frustrated when he didn't nap/play nicely etc. it was better for both of us when I sent him out.

I wish I could send him out. But the logistics are complicated.

1. It has to be walking distance, hubby has the car all day
2. Most of the sitters and playgroups around here are taking off for the summer (??!!)
3. The one that I sent him to last summer really didn't work out. He hated it, screamed all day. Also, an older toddler scratched up his face pretty badly on one of his last days there. I wouldn't send him back
4. We are barely making it financially and cutting out babysitting just seems practical
5. Even if I have a nearby sitter, getting out for drop off and pickup takes a half hour out of my day each time, usually at a crunch time in my workday

I wish there was a solution!

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 5:08 pm
I did it with my eldest 5 until age 2 to 2.5. It was a big investment in toys and things and I split my work hours between morning and evening when they were asleep so that I only tried to get two hours done in the morning. With my younger kids, I don't have the evening because of the older kids being around until 10 so I had to send them out younger

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 5:29 pm
amother wrote:
I did it with my eldest 5 until age 2 to 2.5. It was a big investment in toys and things and I split my work hours between morning and evening when they were asleep so that I only tried to get two hours done in the morning. With my younger kids, I don't have the evening because of the older kids being around until 10 so I had to send them out younger

If you have any tips, or suggestions for what kind of toys work best to keep them occupied, I'd appreciate it!

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 5:41 pm
depends on the kid. You need a balance between imagination toys (eg dolls stroller plus tichel and dolly, kitchen toys, shop etc) building stuff (eg cliks) and energy release (eg small trampoline). Generally I started them off eg they are the mommy and I was the aunty and I would go "out" while they played kitchens or whatever. Every 40 minutes or so I would sit and start them on something else eg start a line of blue cliks and see how many you can do. I found appropriate story tapes that go with a book very helpful and playdo or plasticine (as long as they arent the type to eat it)

Every few days I would switch the toys round and hide them for a few days so eg get out a hat and make them a tatty and send them to "shul" (sefer torah from two kitchen foil rolls and a piece of paper, blocks, lego or a store by collecting empty boxes from the kitchen and piling them up.

I also gave a lot of homemade ideas. try rice in a big bowl with cups to pour from one to the other or beans. Build them a "computer" from two boxes and let them "type" with you. I joined them in a lot. buy a toy phone and watch them copy you. set up a little table near you with the same stuff you have on it (obviously from boxes or whatever) and let them copy you. Mine could do it for hours!

Another amazing one was a siddur where you press a button and it says a bracha? If I can think of any more I will let you know

Thinking back on it, it was quite a bit of organising to make it work. Worth every second but it did take time. I also stopped letting them nap in the day so that they went to bed early and then I had a long evening slot so two hours in the morning with them awake and then four hours in the evening when the house was completely quiet (which is why I cant do it now that my evening ends at 10 and why I am up now at almost 1am)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 6:48 pm
I was able to work with babies home until they gave up the amazing 2-3 hour nap. It’s really not possible when the child needs you... becomes so frustrating when baby reaches for computer, shuts off power.. etc. at that age the child really needs more stimulation and if you are trying to work... it’s not possible! I hope you can find a playgroup for your child or just work at night when the house gets quiet.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 10:08 pm
How old is your son? I made it work till my kids were around two. Also about how many hours a day of work do you need to get done? I'm guessing any time of day works since its freelance work?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 10:34 pm
Is there any way you can get a high school/ college girl to play with him until nap time? That would give you a solid chunk of time and it may be more feasible financially. You're more likely to find that in the summer, and then make solid plans for the school year. I don't think it's healthy for a toddler to be home with a parent who is heavily preoccupied with something else for the majority of the time. A sahm can talk to the child and involve him in the daily activities, whereas in your case you really need to shut him out.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 3:38 am
amother wrote:
I was able to work with babies home until they gave up the amazing 2-3 hour nap. It’s really not possible when the child needs you... becomes so frustrating when baby reaches for computer, shuts off power.. etc. at that age the child really needs more stimulation and if you are trying to work... it’s not possible! I hope you can find a playgroup for your child or just work at night when the house gets quiet.

Yah;
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics