Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do I throw it away?
Previous  1  2

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 5:25 pm
You're supposed to cool it off in an ice bath in the sink. I've never done that. I don't even know where my ice cube trays are; we never use ice.

I usually wait until the pot is very warm to the touch, but not burning hot. I put it on the top shelf of the refrigerator, but first move all the other stuff off the top shelf. That way the soup doesn't warm up everything else in the fridge. It's the moving things around, which usually means that I have to make repeated trips to the downstairs fridge, that makes it stressful for me.

Woman of Valor

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 5:36 pm
Why would you risk food poisoning. I would never.

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Jul 02 2018, 6:09 pm
The problem with putting hot soup or other hot food into your fridge is that it heats up the entire fridge, regardless of where items are placed on shelves.

I'm with the Imas who would keep it for family to eat. Just cook it well before serving.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 3:44 am
Americans love to throw. My husband was there some yrs ago (4?) and was disgusted with how much was thrown. And he grew up ""rich""

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 5:37 am
WastingTime wrote:
I know ppl think its terrible but I do this every time I make chicken soup on a Thurs night and ba"h no one ever got sick. I never understand what the alternative is, put it away boiling hot? It takes boiling chicken soup HOURS to reach room temperature, the bigger the pot, the longer it takes.

peel veggies thrsday night and leave in water over night. In morning throw chicken and veggies in pot and leave to cook friday.

You can also transfer soup to smaller containers or pots and it will cool more quickly.

Commercial kitchens have cooling machines for this purpose.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen