Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What should I use as the guest room?

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 11:02 am
We are buying a house and I am very excited to finally be able to host people. My guests would be my inlaws, and mine and my husbands younger sibilings. Two couples will be getting married this summer. One couple is married three years with two kids and the other couple married two years with one kid.

Option A is the basement. It is finished as far as it has drywall and regular floors and ceilings but there is no bathroom down there. Also there is no heat down there. either we wouldnt be able to have anyone during the winter or wed have to buy some kind of inexpensive safe heating thing.

Option B is to put my three kids in one bedroom (oldest is five) and use the third upstairs bedroom as a guestroom. That gives the newlywed couples no privacy. My kids are currently in one bedroom now and it working out just fine.

My parents live across the country and I have three younger sibilings within two hours of my new house so I will be hosting a decent amount of time even if my guestroom is not the perfect guestroom.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 11:05 am
I would not be comfortable having to go to another floor of the house to use the bathroom, personally. If you can put a bathroom and heating in the basement, great. If not, give them a kids room on the main floor.

ETA I didn't realize you would keep the guest room empty when there are no guests. I don't see why that's necessary at all. Split the kids between the two bedrooms available, and when you have guests they can share a room. Guests don't need a dedicated guest room.

SisterSix

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 11:10 am
I would not put three kids in one room permanently in order to have a guest room that's only used sometimes. I hear that it's working out now but very well may not be as ideal as the kids grow older

Frenchfry

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 11:13 am
I have the exact same scenario. We put the guestroom upstairs, and my older kids sleep in the basement.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 11:18 am
I have option one in my house. We have a space heater, the fan type that are cool to the touch. The bathroom is on the first floor but we don't use it at night since our bedrooms are upstairs so there's some feeling of privacy. I don't have a master bathroom so I don't want my guests on my bedroom floor.

animeme

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 11:20 am
Agree to split the kids into two rooms and move them together for guests. I would also put a space heater in the basement and set it up with a highriser to have the option of using it. You can give guests a choice, or you can host two sets of people. Maybe the parent guests get the upstairs room and the kids (and some of yours!) are in the basement, or you can have two couples if one is ok with the basement.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 11:53 am
Thanks all. Im glad I asked. This is the beauty of Imamother. It honestly didnt occur to me that I should split the kids up and then combine them for guests. This will save me money on beds as well. I can have my son sleep on the floor when he moves in with his sisters. No need to buy a fifth bed!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics